Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Yes. Yes, as stated in my post above replying to a similar objection it's very inconvenient and it's a big process but nobody is forcing you (or me) to remain a U.S. citizen. I could start the process right now and calmly dissolve my ties and responsibilities to our government. Nobody is forcing me. Yes, there's certain rules you have to comply by when renouncing citizenship and leaving. And they make it a process but that's because they don't want people taking advantage of non-citizenship too easily to avoid paying their share of taxes.
That's the very definition of being under government control.

We're only free to leave if:

1) We don't have to seek the government's permission. We can just "self-identify" as no longer a US citizen, exactly like the Obama Admin says transgenders can "self-identify" in every public school in the country in order to use multiple occupancy opposite gender open locker/shower rooms.

2) Our assets aren't taxed upon making such a "self-identifying" statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Don't you understand House Rules? You're living in someone else's house, whether you like or dislike the rules, you play by them. That's not to say this isn't your country just as much as it is mine but there can only be one set of rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

1) We don't have to seek the government's permission. We can just "self-identify" as no longer a US citizen, exactly like the Obama Admin says transgenders can "self-identify" in every public school in the country in order to use multiple occupancy opposite gender open locker/shower rooms.

Thanks OP. I'm now in a thread where I agree with InformedConsent on something. I'm either going to have drink my way out of this one or rethink my entire life philosophy.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Thanks OP. I'm now in a thread where I agree with InformedConsent on something. I'm either going to have drink my way out of this one or rethink my entire life philosophy.

This whole "self-identifying" with no permission or proof required whatsoever thing is going to have VERY far-reaching consequences that I'm sure the Obama Admin never even thought of...

Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
No government can victimize or be tyrannical to a population that is free to leave at any time.

So stop your whining and lugubrious cries of tyranny and victimhood.

You're not forced to do anything. You can still vote and, if the result doesn't make you happy, you can leave. Nobody's stopping you. Nobody has chains on your feet. Nothing is forced on anyone-- including taxes--- in a country where one is free to leave.

And I am not just saying that to anti-big government conservatives, I say that to myself as a liberal.

If it ever gets too much to my dislike here, I'm free to leave. I don't have to pick up arms and try to forcibly overthrow a democratically elected government.

Grow up. Stop trying to be Paul Revere. You're not Nathan Hale. You eat Doritos and watch TV. You're not going to "Save 'Merica!" from its own government. You're ridiculous.
I will move to your neighborhood and make your life miserable. You won't have a problem with that because you are free to leave at any time. Your neighborhood isn't worth fighting for.

Oh I see you are enjoying your new home elsewhere. Good news, The DOT has been approve to go ahead with that road widening for the next 3 years. What's this? Your new home is along the right of way and needs to be demolished? Tragic, but that's okay. You won't have a problem with that because you are free to leave at any time. Your home isn't worth fighting for.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:53 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:

Of course, if you are living under a government, you will be required to comply with a certain degree of control and rules. But you're not forced to remain under the control of that government. That's the key.

You're really being intentionally difficult. You want to dictate the rules of the government without being in it. You want to legislate from your couch. You're not going to be happy unless you're the one calling the shots. This is not about rules to you as much as it's about who makes them.

The point is, while you are a U.S. citizen, those are the rules. But you can be free of the rules if you go through the process of renouncing your citizenship. It's very simple.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:

This whole "self-identifying" with no permission or proof required whatsoever thing is going to have VERY far-reaching consequences that I'm sure the Obama Admin never even thought of...
It will conveniently only apply to the government's pet groups.

Like Liz Warren (AKA Pocahontas).

Old 06-20-2016, 01:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd take death if I went through life thinking the sky was black and falling, fortunately it's blue and beautiful in my world.

Cool! Liberty is great, isn't it. When threats are all around, we are all free to handle it how we think will have the best outcome. I choose death, before bondage. Be that is me.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
From the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-

As Americans, we have a right and a duty to complain and even overthrow the government if enough people feel that it is not serving our needs as we would like them to be served. It is the foundation of our government to do such.

We don't have to leave. We are free to choose to fight for what we want.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd take death if I went through life thinking the sky was black and falling, fortunately it's blue and beautiful in my world.
Don't you have to stick to the sky being black/falling as part of the "climate change" meme?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Of course, if you are living under a government, you will be required to comply with a certain degree of control and rules. But you're not forced to remain under the control of that government. That's the key.
When US citizens are NOT free to leave without getting the government's approval and permission, they ARE under the government's control. No US citizen is actually free to leave. The government permits some to do so only if specific requirements are met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies