Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:15 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,104,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
If he has any chance of winning has to move to the center.
But that would be so hypocritical and he claims he isn't the typical politician. His first supporters jumped on the bandwagon because of his immigration plan; now he is saying, well maybe I spoke too soon. Normally I would agree, moving is necessary but in this case he was so positive he could do what he said he would do and got so much support for his "not PC" ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,104,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
That was my question and I was going to ask for proof, but decided the anti-Trumpers aren't worth it. They still think he said he could shoot people in the street. Hell, they still think Sarah said she could see Russia from her house.

They get their news from Salon, HuffPuke, Mother Earth, The View, etc. They aren't the brightest. They aren't worth trying to engage.
certainly agree with you about HP, Salon etc. but I did hear him, on O'Reilly for one, say he would deport every single illegal. O'Reilly even questioned him on how he would do this and his answer was I can but I am not giving my plan out until after the election. This was close to a year ago.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:34 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,568,216 times
He has compared his plan to Eisenhower's Operation Wet Back - when we last tried the mass deportation.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Trump's Immigration Solution: Bring Back Controversial 'Operation Wet back'

On Tuesday night's Republican presidential debate and again on Wednesday morning, GOP candidate Donald Trump touted the controversial 1950s "Operation Wet Back" program as a way of dealing with the nation's approximately 11 million immigrants currently without legal status.

Under the then-President Dwight D. Eisenhower program, immigrants inside the U.S. were rounded up and deported to remote places, resulting in deaths and criticism that it led to human rights abuse.

On NPR Wednesday morning, conservative Republican Alfonso Aguilar slammed Trump's comments.

"The Eisenhower mass deportation policy was tragic," said Aguilar. "Human rights were violated, people were removed to remote locations without food and water, there were many deaths, sometimes U.S. citizens of Hispanic origin were removed. It was a travesty — it was terrible. To say it's a success story, it's ridiculous."

Though Trump extolled the program's praises on the GOP debate, he didn't call "Operation Wet Back" by name. The term "Wet Back" is considered a slur.

"I'm just shocked he didn't come out and say it," said University of Maryland political scientist Stella Rouse.

Yet she said it was very clear what Trump was advocating.

"It's unbelievable, but he and the people who support his attitude are more and more comfortable expressing it in different ways — with impunity," said Rouse. "If you're racist and nativist that's what gets rewarded without any specificity or viability of how do these things happen. It's amazing."

Like Aguilar, Rouse said in an interview with NBC News that regardless of whether people agree with "sending back" immigrants, the 1950s program has been widely criticized for human rights abuses, among them shaving the heads of Mexicans so the Border Patrol could recognize them if they were trying to come back through the border or Attorney General Herbert Brownell's comments to "shoot" Mexicans on site if they attempted to cross the border.

Beyond the issues of human rights, scholars have debated the program's effectiveness. Some have questioned whether the numbers cited in Operation Wet Back — the deportation of about 1 million people — are accurate.

"Even if you buy the fact that 1 million were deported it's not even close to the 11 million immigrants we have in this country," said Rouse.

Trump was asked on Wednesday during "Morning Joe" how he would deport 11 million people, and he said he would have a "deportation force" that would do it humanely; he repeated the statement to NBC's Katy Tur.

"It's not possible economically," said Aguilar, citing the resources needed to round up and deport 11 million people. "And it's not the American way," added Aguilar on NPR.

But Trump's lack of specifics has been a hallmark of the campaign, said Rouse. For now, said Rouse, accuracy and a reality check are not what presidential hopefuls like Trump are after.

"He's appealing to a segment of the GOP electorate that agrees with him," said Rouse. "I think he wrote his ticket off the general election by invoking Eisenhower's Operation Wet Back, but it's a winning strategy to bring out some primary voters."

NBCNEWS.com

Old 06-26-2016, 12:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,119,906 times
You posted this in the polling thread and I brought it here to respond because that thread is reserved only for polling posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have no choice, as I have said before but to most likely vote for Trump, but I agree with you. If he really wants to be President, which I do doubt, he will start listening but he isn't the type to listen to anyone. He alone went after the judge, no one on his staff would have suggested that.
Why do you have no choice? Is someone forcing you to vote for a man that even you admit has no qualifications to be president? Or must you vote for an (R) no matter how odious the candidate?

Old 06-26-2016, 01:02 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,357,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
How about Belgian-born muslims? They have done more than the Syrian ones. Honestly, I would be far more comfortable with Syrian refugees than European muslims coming in.
Looks like you are admitting to the least common denominator of both groups; Islam. So Muslims should be scrutinized more. That's what the "ban" means.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:03 PM

33,603 posts, read 18,252,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
He has compared his plan to Eisenhower's Operation Wet Back - when we last tried the mass deportation.
No. Trump was talking about how things have changed.. years ago nothing was said. Today you leftists don't like illegals to follow laws of the land but yet Americans have to.

How about you give your paycheck over to an illegal. We working folks are tired of paying our far share and still have to foot the bill for illegals here.. so contribute to the cause instead of just talking.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,357,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You believe the lies of the left... their words never match what Trump says to begin with.. when Trump says what is the truth to him, the left who perverted Trumps words to begin with , now says he flip flops.. your lies of the left never match what Trump said.. your problem.. the Right knows what Trump means and it is no flip flop.
Yeah, that seems to be the strategy. Trump speaks, the left twists his words and when Trump attempts to correct their wording he is flip flopping. What he is really doing is flipping their flops.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:13 PM

63,308 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Trump's Immigration Solution: Bring Back Controversial 'Operation Wet back'

On Tuesday night's Republican presidential debate and again on Wednesday morning, GOP candidate Donald Trump touted the controversial 1950s "Operation Wet Back" program as a way of dealing with the nation's approximately 11 million immigrants currently without legal status.

Under the then-President Dwight D. Eisenhower program, immigrants inside the U.S. were rounded up and deported to remote places, resulting in deaths and criticism that it led to human rights abuse.

On NPR Wednesday morning, conservative Republican Alfonso Aguilar slammed Trump's comments.

"The Eisenhower mass deportation policy was tragic," said Aguilar. "Human rights were violated, people were removed to remote locations without food and water, there were many deaths, sometimes U.S. citizens of Hispanic origin were removed. It was a travesty — it was terrible. To say it's a success story, it's ridiculous."

Though Trump extolled the program's praises on the GOP debate, he didn't call "Operation Wet Back" by name. The term "Wet Back" is considered a slur.

"I'm just shocked he didn't come out and say it," said University of Maryland political scientist Stella Rouse.

Yet she said it was very clear what Trump was advocating.

"It's unbelievable, but he and the people who support his attitude are more and more comfortable expressing it in different ways — with impunity," said Rouse. "If you're racist and nativist that's what gets rewarded without any specificity or viability of how do these things happen. It's amazing."

Like Aguilar, Rouse said in an interview with NBC News that regardless of whether people agree with "sending back" immigrants, the 1950s program has been widely criticized for human rights abuses, among them shaving the heads of Mexicans so the Border Patrol could recognize them if they were trying to come back through the border or Attorney General Herbert Brownell's comments to "shoot" Mexicans on site if they attempted to cross the border.

Beyond the issues of human rights, scholars have debated the program's effectiveness. Some have questioned whether the numbers cited in Operation Wet Back — the deportation of about 1 million people — are accurate.

"Even if you buy the fact that 1 million were deported it's not even close to the 11 million immigrants we have in this country," said Rouse.

Trump was asked on Wednesday during "Morning Joe" how he would deport 11 million people, and he said he would have a "deportation force" that would do it humanely; he repeated the statement to NBC's Katy Tur.

"It's not possible economically," said Aguilar, citing the resources needed to round up and deport 11 million people. "And it's not the American way," added Aguilar on NPR.

But Trump's lack of specifics has been a hallmark of the campaign, said Rouse. For now, said Rouse, accuracy and a reality check are not what presidential hopefuls like Trump are after.

"He's appealing to a segment of the GOP electorate that agrees with him," said Rouse. "I think he wrote his ticket off the general election by invoking Eisenhower's Operation Wet Back, but it's a winning strategy to bring out some primary voters."

NBCNEWS.com

Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants".

Old 06-27-2016, 05:32 PM

Is Donald Trump softening his tone? - CNNPolitics.com

Cruz, Bush, Kasich and others need to get vocal. Trump has moved the goal posts. He lied to get the nomination and then changes his tone with the general election......FRAUD ALERT....Bait and switch scam artist at work......

Is Donald Trump softening his tone? - CNNPolitics.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies