Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 03:39 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

I starting hunting rabbits at age 8. That was the only time I was interested in handling a gun is when I was going hunting. If children think it is normal to have a gun around and know what it is for, they are less apt to touch it otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Liberals are more likely to know their children know less about guns too. Therefore, they don't leave them lying around for Johnny to find them and blow little Susie's head off.
99.999% of gun owners don't do that either. Children dying from firearms so rarely the CDC records those deaths in the "other" category. Just because the media tries to run stories about tragic deaths 24x7 doesn't mean it happens often.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:10 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo555 View Post
(I am an old lady, with disabilities, and i live alone; no kids ever come here.i get burglarized here, they try, so i have my handgun in my drawer, easy to get out.I was burglarized years ago, was attacked, beaten, wound up in hospital. i vowed never to let it happen again. --they break in, i kill em. period.)
And now, without a gun, what chance do you think you'd have. Don't you wish you had one the first time? Good on you and God bless.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:14 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
No it doesn't. Arguing that people are different but in society should be viewed as equal in principle are not contradictions in the slightest.
Democracy may mean equality, but in no democracy which has ever existed on this Earth, has government ever been limited merely to the protection of equal rights. Nor could it.

"Equality is an expression of envy. It means, in the real heart of every Republican, "No one shall be better off than I am". - Alexis De Tocqueville

And the very foundation of a Republic, is that we should elect men who are better than us, to rule over us. A Republic is an acknowledgement of a hierarchy of superior and inferior, rulers and the ruled. What else could it be?

"In a pure democracy of equals -- all of whom are, however, considered incapable of self-restraint on behalf of the common welfare, their liberty tending naturally toward evil -- who would be the true guardian and administrator of the laws, the defender of justice and of public order against everyone's evil passions? In a word, who would fulfill the functions of the State?

The best citizens, would be the answer, the most intelligent and the most virtuous, those who understand better than the others the common interests of society and the need, the duty, of everyone to subordinate his own interests to the common good. It is, in fact; necessary for these men to be as intelligent as they are virtuous; if they were intelligent but lacked virtue, they might very well use the public welfare to serve their private interests, and if they were virtuous but lacked intelligence, their good faith would not be enough to save the public interest from their errors." - Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Nice try Aristotle, but that's just not true.
For being a self-proclaimed skeptic, you don't appear to be very skeptical.

With that said, you simply cannot prove if it is true or not. You can't prove that this isn't the Matrix. All you can prove, is "Cogito Ergo Sum"(I think therefore I am). And some have even brought that into question.

Though, that doesn't mean we should concern ourselves about it.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many people don't know anything about guns. For example: myself.
Thank you for being mature enough to admit that.

Now, if people on both sides of the aisle would more readily admit their arguments are often based on emotion and not fact, we might actually get somewhere. As it stands, the hard-headedness is doing little more than creating a political divide in this country. Most unfortunate is that our elected representatives seem to be doing quite a bit of the work on that front.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I starting hunting rabbits at age 8. That was the only time I was interested in handling a gun is when I was going hunting. If children think it is normal to have a gun around and know what it is for, they are less apt to touch it otherwise.
You are absolutely correct in that statement. When children understand and respect firearms they are far less likely to play with them as if it were any old toy.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Liberals love guns, I don't get where the misunderstanding occurs. The love guns whenever they are government guns imposing their personal will upon their neighbors. The only time they don't like guns is when they are in the hands of those who are not agents of the thug government doing their crimes for them against their neighbors...

Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Liberals love guns, I don't get where the misunderstanding occurs. The love guns whenever they are government guns imposing their personal will upon their neighbors. The only time they don't like guns is when they are in the hands of those who are not agents of the thug government doing their crimes for them against their neighbors...
Right, a government that can do no wrong.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Unfortunately neither liberals (who know nothing about guns) nor conservatives (who ostensibly are experts on guns) know when the next formerly "responsible" gun owner is going to go off and massacre a bunch of people.
No one has a crystal ball and can predict the future, however we can observe that past and we know this.... about 9 times out of ten or even more, they are not committed by conservative republicans.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:48 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Whether you are going to keep the guns locked up is personal choice and has to be carefully considered whether you have kids or no kids. If you have kids their age, maturity and the circumstances of where you live are all considerations.

You taught your kids about sex presumably? It's the same thing with guns especially if they are in the household. It's not something you want them learning on the street or unprepared for. Just because you have them locked up doesn't mean they will never encounter one or someone with one. Knowledge is never a bad thing as long as it's age/maturity appropriate, it may just save their life or someone else's life.
No, and I say that as an adult for myself then and now. Our next door neighbors house was broken into when they were both at work. I thought all burglars break in when the people are there???? Anyway, I found a gun in my backyard few days after. ADULT me didn't didn't know gun safety, and did not pick it. Now think logically. You find a gun in your backyard which might have been used in a crime, do you pick it up and get your fingerprints all over it? Which is better COMMON SENSE or Gun Safety?

I got my cell phone, called the cops, and stood guard over that gun until they got there so a CHILD could not find it and pick it up. I suppose if as an ADULT I had known gun safety I could have picked it up myself to make sure it was not loaded???????

Gun owners are far too blinded by their passion for any common sense. That is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies