Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:46 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times

Advertisements

O'Connell commits Senate to refusing to even discuss much less appoint Obama's Supreme Court nominee for fear that Obama will nominate a radical/muslim/communist to the Court in the last year of his term. What does Obama do? He nominates a widely praise moderate Federal Judge and former Federal prosecutor who sailed through the confirmation process.

Now he has to pray that Trump wins or at in the worst case Sanders loses. Meanwhile a majority of Americans feel that the Senate should just do their job and act on the President's nomination.
On the other side, liberal contributor Julie Roginsky, describing Garland as a “moderate” justice in the mold of Anthony Kennedy, said Republicans “better be darn sure that Donald Trump will win and that they’re going to hold their Senate majority.” Because if Hillary Clinton becomes president and the Senate flips, she will appoint a younger, more openly liberal justice and the GOP will be “begging” for Garland back.
Fox News Warns GOP: Merrick Garland Is a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:48 PM

19,224 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Maybe O'Connell should be impeached for not doing his job as a Senator...

Old 03-16-2016, 04:57 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I wouldn't object.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
You have the polling to show the "a majority of Americans feel that the Senate should just do their job and act on the President's nomination."?

I would be interested to see that.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:02 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
O'Connell commits Senate to refusing to even discuss much less appoint Obama's Supreme Court nominee for fear that Obama will nominate a radical/muslim/communist to the Court in the last year of his term. What does Obama do? He nominates a widely praise moderate Federal Judge and former Federal prosecutor who sailed through the confirmation process.

Now he has to pray that Trump wins or at in the worst case Sanders loses. Meanwhile a majority of Americans feel that the Senate should just do their job and act on the President's nomination.
On the other side, liberal contributor Julie Roginsky, describing Garland as a “moderate” justice in the mold of Anthony Kennedy, said Republicans “better be darn sure that Donald Trump will win and that they’re going to hold their Senate majority.” Because if Hillary Clinton becomes president and the Senate flips, she will appoint a younger, more openly liberal justice and the GOP will be “begging” for Garland back.
Fox News Warns GOP: Merrick Garland Is a
Cry me a river. You and your boy Obama are finished.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:10 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Maybe he should table it.....like reed did....then all (many) lefties would be in lock step.....

Old 03-16-2016, 05:18 PM

991 posts, read 629,602 times
Quote:
Maybe you should read this:
WaPo: Three Pinocchios for declaring Senate’s “constitutional duty” to vote on Garland

Quote:
How often does someone get pre-emptive Pinocchios? Barack Obama got three of them today in his speech regarding the nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.
WaPo: Three Pinocchios for declaring Senate’s “constitutional duty” to vote on Garland « Hot Air

Then go and read some history!

Allow me to start you off:
(snippet from the article)

Quote:
Nearly 200 years ago, the Senate made it clear that it was not required to act on a Supreme Court nomination.

In periods of divided government, especially with elections looming, the Senate has chosen not to act — or to create circumstances under which the president’s nominee either withdrew or was not considered. … Democrats who suggest otherwise are simply telling supporters a politically convenient fairy tale.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:29 PM

19,224 posts, read 17,105,490 times
/\

Sorry but I don't have the time or stomach to read through right wings rags that are going to pick apart everything they don't agree with I have had enough with the T Party bs locally; nor do I have time to pull up a reference from 200 years ago. Based on tonight's news on NBC I am tired of these self proclaimed little Napoleon's choosing to stop the government process because they don't agree with it, your elected, do your job. Maybe it's time for all of Congress to be replaced on both sides of the isle.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:29 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
A president nominated a SC justice in December after he lost the November election and that makes your case. Geesh.

Rather than go back 200 years just have them amend the constitution and restrict the sitting president from nominating a SC Justice in the last year.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
/\

Sorry but I don't have the time or stomach to read through right wings rags that are going to pick apart everything they don't agree with I have had enough with the T Party bs locally; nor do I have time to pull up a reference from 200 years ago. Based on tonight's news on NBC I am tired of these self proclaimed little Napoleon's choosing to stop the government process because they don't agree with it, your elected, do your job. Maybe it's time for all of Congress to be replaced on both sides of the isle.
Did you read the Washington Post article? Surely you aren't so extreme as to consider the Post a right wing rag are you?

The Senate should allow Obama to nominate him and debate the nomination. To be clear, Congress has zero obligations to confirm him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies