Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
How ironic. A representative of a movement that doesn't believe in government wants to be in government. Good luck with that.
Philosophical libertarians have no problem with government. They obey the non-aggression principle. Libertarians are in full support of a government which acts only as a retaliatory force against those who initiate force upon others.

A government that acts only as a retaliatory force against aggressors is what libertarians want. That is not anti-government, rather it is anti-government aggression upon the individual. Maximizing individual freedom for every individual.

Libertarians don't believe government has a right to initiate force upon the individual, this is not an "anti-government" stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:30 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Wonderful. I hope this happens.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Yeah real awesome. He'll win 5% of the vote and we'll see Crooked Hillary win by 4%.
It's definitely a balancing act. I agree with your sentiment, but also at some point - something needs to be done about the two parties not representing the best interests of the country. You have to start somewhere if it is ever to be changed.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:39 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Well if Bush and Romney support Gary. Then maybe some Dems can back him. Plus with Libs backing. He forces a tie with the electoral votes he could possibly be selected by the House. A long shot though.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Lets get him to 15%. Not that he'd win an election, and as far as I know he's even said his goal isn't to win (which is interesting), but he'd by a symbol for what the Republican party could be come. A slightly more libertarian philosophy would make the Republican party more appealing to more people. Drop the social authoritarianism thing they have and do as the libertarians do. Trump wouldn't have to exist if the Republicans acted with more consistency.

Libertarians believe in government.

A pure libertarian (something Gary Johnson is not) would basically believe that individual liberty is of the utmost importance, and that government exists exclusively to protect people from force or fraud. This justified police forces, courts, and certain laws. Which is distinct from an anarchist.

Bullbleep.

No Libertarian would think that he agrees with 73% (my, how specific) of what Bernie Sanders says, much less say it. Johnson is the last person we need to "reinvent" the Republican party.

P.S. Nobody who's a phony Republican or Libertarian, and whose intention is to undermine the Republican candidate while at the same time enabling the left's candidate, will ever get my vote.

What a bunch of fools and suckers. At least the Dems see the big picture and stick together. Enjoy the next 8 years, and spare us your carping about Hillary. You all deserve what you're going to get.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's definitely a balancing act. I agree with your sentiment, but also at some point - something needs to be done about the two parties not representing the best interests of the country. You have to start somewhere if it is ever to be changed.
Agreed.

Let's think that if a bunch of conservatives who don't like Trump decide Johnson resonates with them more, which costs Trump the election, leading for 4-8 years of Hillary, the Republicans would have no choice but to re-examine their platform (something they should be doing with a man who wasn't even a part of their party only a few years ago and has never held any elected office being their nominee). Johnson getting a chunk of the voters would be a wake up call to both parties, espeically the side that loses.

Both options are complete ****. Which ever one of those two wins, I lose. Johnson isn't exactly my ideal candidate, but he's substantially better than Hillary or Donald. So even if my vote won't matter, I'd rather at least get some positive out of it, even if I have to wait a few years for it. In my mind, voting Trump or Clinton is more of a waste than voting Johnson.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Yeah real awesome. He'll win 5% of the vote and we'll see Crooked Hillary win by 4%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I guess the one thing to consider is that can the country handle just 4 years of Clinton - at this particular point in time. Obama still has 6 months to do more harm to the foundations of the country. We are on the edge of more people receiving employment benefits than those who can support themselves and pay taxes.

Debt, currency, Supreme Court... many tipping points to consider in the whole scenario.

Exactly! And at this point, derailing the Democrats' coalition of old-line urban/union gangsters and their followers in the SJW Kindergarten should be the top priority. Trump will similarly face some hard choices if he's elected, but he would teach the so-called "progressives" a hard (and well-deserved) lesson.

There is ideology, and there is realpolitik, and it's time to focus on the latter. If Johnson gets a chance to debate, he should concentrate entirely on Hillary and the Democrats (who have about as much in common with Libertarians as establishment Republicans do with Greens) and offer to coalesce with Trump.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-18-2016 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bullbleep.

No Libertarian would think that he agrees with 73% (my, how specific) of what Bernie Sanders says, much less say it. Johnson is the last person we need to "reinvent" the Republican party.

P.S. Nobody who's a phony Republican or Libertarian, and whose intention is to undermine the Republican candidate while at the same time enabling the left's candidate, will ever get my vote.

What a bunch of fools and suckers. At least the Dems see the big picture and stick together. Enjoy the next 8 years, and spare us your carping about Hillary. You all deserve what you're going to get.
I'm confused as to what you're saying here. I think libertarianism is more consistent. I am not a libertarian nor do I agree with libertarian philosophy. I think if the Republicans adopted a more libertarian platform, but still not being libertarian, they'd be a stronger party overall. Libertarian is often simplified to socially liberal and fiscally conservative. While I think this is not exactly true, if the Republicans at least adopted a socially moderate/indifferent platform and modified their fiscal views a bit (for consistency), they'd be a better conservative party. One that might actually compete with the Democrats a bit. I think having a least two major parties is important. I'd prefer more, but baby steps.

Also, are you insinuating that I'm a Republican? Or even a conservative? Based on this one post that simply says that Hillary is a bad candidate and so is Trump? Interesting...

Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
Quote:
Johnson will get support from both sides.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bullbleep.

Its a fine line. Most Libertarians agree with a lot of what Bernie points out as PROBLEMS, where they differ is how Bernie says he would solve them. For instance Berine says health care and education are too expensive. Johnson agrees. Bernie wants to just give them away to everyone, while Johnson wants to find more ways to return them to a free market state so they are much more affordable to everyone. See? They agree on the problems, just not the solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies