Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The WWII generation didn't put up with Leftist BS.
True, but when it was safe for the Lefties to climb back out of their holes, the infected our educational system with their crapola, and created this mess we have today, peopled with mini-fascists and misandric blame merchants.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
I was in school 27 years ago and we had several diversity rallies, focused on having more diverse body of professors.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Interest View Post
The City Data board and many message boards on the Internet is full of talk about how wonderful ethnic and cultural diversity is in their community. It seems like every white person wants to move to community that is ethnically and culturally diverse today.

I wonder how we survived in homogenous communities 30 years ago?
30 years ago my community was almost exactly the same as it is today -- about 45% white, 49% black.

Just about the only change is that it went from about 0.5% hispanic to about 2% hispanic. I guess technically you could say that "the hispanic population quadrupled."

Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Can anyone tell me what makes a diverse community better? I have yet to get a cogent answer anytime I ask the question when someone tells me it will improve the community. Currently I am hearing pro-Syrian refugee folks say that an influx of Syrian refugees into a nearby large town is going to make young people and businesses want to move in there. But they can never say why beyond "diverse communities are better". Do the current residents all get a raise? Do their home values go up? Do the increased property taxes to pay for the added costs of translators in the schools and other services the refugees will need make the current residents happier?

When I hear the "diversity makes a community better" I take it to mean that those saying it mean that somehow the current residents are deficient and that the new folks coming in will cure those deficiencies. Yet they can't say exactly what that is or how it will happen.
I don't think diversity in itself makes communities better. But I think not being closed minded does.

For example, if your community is 95% white due to historical migration patterns, celebrate everyone in the community for their uniqueness. Maybe your community has been about 75% white and 25% black for the longest time, so let everyone be involved. Or possibly your community is rapidly changing with an influx of Hispanic residences or refugees from Myanmar or something - get to know those people as well.

It's not that hard.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:59 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
Diversity when I was a kid was Lutherans marrying Catholics. I prefer that kind of diversity to the nightmare we are living now.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:14 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
30 years ago was PRE Agenda 21.

CN

Old 07-18-2016, 04:28 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,183 times
I feel that "diversity" talk is declining now actually. Black Power, in its various forms, is becoming more popular with the BlackLivesMatter movement. Agree or disagree with the movement, I'd say it has a more "separationist" mentality than we've seen for a few decades. "Let's integrate and get along" doesn't seem to be sufficient anymore.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I don't think diversity in itself makes communities better. But I think not being closed minded does.

For example, if your community is 95% white due to historical migration patterns, celebrate everyone in the community for their uniqueness. Maybe your community has been about 75% white and 25% black for the longest time, so let everyone be involved. Or possibly your community is rapidly changing with an influx of Hispanic residences or refugees from Myanmar or something - get to know those people as well.

It's not that hard.
What you say is good and I won't dispute it but what I generally hear is that diversity makes us better, to which I say how, and there is never a response. I currently live in a rural community that is approximately 100% white in a county that is roughly 98% white. Crime in my community is almost non-existent and the quality of life is generally good. There are rich people, poor people, and everything in-between. There are liberals, conservatives, and those in-between. There are Christians, Jews, and those with no religion at all. Everyone gets along. The Syrians coming to the shire town in the county are being touted by their proponents as a good thing because of the diversity they represent. They say people and businesses are going to move to this area because of that diversity, yet they can't articulate why. Even those fighting to stop the program will do their best to get along once they are here, but the question remains as to why the community will be better because there is a Muslim presence.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:39 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, it isn't good, and when you look at illegal immigration in my community, it is supported by two main groups :

A) "Pro Business" types, who are typically in tight with the homebuilder / real estate / landscaping / construction community, and want illegal immigration to keep wages low.

B) Farmers, who want illegal immigration to keep wages low.

Here, it was never a social issue that had anything to do with "diversity." It was always an economic issue that was framed as "jobs Americans won't do." (for the wages being offered, I should add.)
You forgot to add future voters too. But your other points are good. And the part about "for the wages being offered" is always conveniently left out.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,754,926 times
Default There was little talk about the glories of diversity 30 years ago- why?

Use of the term "diversity" is a shift in marketing strategy by the left in their effort to prop up favored minority groups. It used to be all about tolerance, fairness, equal opportunity and judging people by the content of their character. But it became clear to many that this was not producing the desired results. The public had to be taught that the presence of blacks, Latinos, women, etc., in all areas of society was necessary, and a positive thing, regardless of meritocratic considerations. Thus the "diversity is our greatest strength" campaign was born, and it's been remarkably successful. The list of otherwise intelligent people who have mouthed this mindless slogan is a long one. See the great compilation here, starting at 0:28:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTROCGb5qj8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies