Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Why this rule exists is to halt employer abuse. Under the old rule, someone earning $23,660 or less could be classified as exempt employees or management, not subject to overtime. The $23,660 amount was set in 1975. As such, employers would force workers in contrived titles that pay slightly more than $23,660 to work long hours, basically for free. This is common in the fast-food industry and retail.

Employers should pay a fair wage and the OP should stop siding with exploiter employers.

See: Why the DOL's New Overtime Rule is Such a Big Deal
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 01:20 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Why this rule exists is to halt employer abuse. Under the old rule, someone earning $23,660 or less could be classified as exempt employees or management, not subject to overtime. The $23,660 amount was set in 1975. As such, employers would force workers in contrived titles that pay slightly more than $23,660 to work long hours, basically for free. This is common in the fast-food industry and retail.

Employers should pay a fair wage and the OP should stop siding with exploiter employers.

See: Why the DOL's New Overtime Rule is Such a Big Deal

Wow... and these people had no choice at all did they? I mean... the business forced them right? These people had no choice in the matter? They couldn't decide to look for work else where?

I knew a guy who was dealing with his work abusing his hour situation. He complained on and on about it until one day I blew up at him and asked him why he didn't find another job? The idiot shrugged. I told him that if he wasn't willing to do anything about his situation, then by his inaction, he accepted it and was RESPONSIBLE for it. He shut up after that and eventually he found another job that paid and treated him better.

People need to grow up and stop expecting government to do what they themselves won't do.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:13 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
That is a fallacy. You can not be a slave to a work place if your choice to work there is voluntary. I see this all the time. People whine and cry about their evil mean work, but are too damn lazy to look for another job, develop another skill or even take steps to remedy their problem at work (wage negotiation, better compensations, conditions, etc...).

They can't do anything to you if you quit and find another job! Seriously, I have done this myself all through my life. It is a BS LIE that people are held hostage. I have worked factory jobs up to white collar tech jobs and in ALL of them I was 100% in control, I made the choice, I decided what I would accept and if I didn't like it, I moved on.

Writing? lots of times. If I said, I would do it for "this much" wage. They wrote up my hire and that was my listed wage. If I negotiated extra vacation time, this also was simply given to me. Having it in writing wasn't always needed (word was enough in many conditions) as if they didn't provide it, I quit and moved on. You see, like an adult, I was in control, I viewed myself as a marketable skill, not a peasant that should be grateful the business allowed me to work for them.

As I said, the problem is with people being irresponsible and that is not MY responsibility, it is theirs. If they don't like it, as I said... they can dig a hole and climb in.

I am free to tell people to shut their yap hole all I like. I can say whatever I like and they are free to listen, move on, or throw a little tantrum over hurt feelings.

The problem with your comparison is that I am not "forcing" people to stop whining like little babies. I am merely saying they should grow up and either act or shut the hell up. You see, I am not demanding legislation be put in to force people to my opinion, that actually is what you are doing by demanding businesses cater to lazy irresponsible people who are apparently too stupid to stand up for themselves. Freedom comes with responsibility, it is something most people learn when they leave home and no longer have their mommies taking care of them.
You've combined several of my responses to others into your response to me. I think you can't stand the fact that you might be wrong. The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 meant the salaried or exempt category to be for those in management who were well compensated. Things may be black and white in Utah but America is a big place with business practices that may not be dictated by a church.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Wow... and these people had no choice at all did they? I mean... the business forced them right? These people had no choice in the matter? They couldn't decide to look for work else where?

I knew a guy who was dealing with his work abusing his hour situation. He complained on and on about it until one day I blew up at him and asked him why he didn't find another job? The idiot shrugged. I told him that if he wasn't willing to do anything about his situation, then by his inaction, he accepted it and was RESPONSIBLE for it. He shut up after that and eventually he found another job that paid and treated him better.

People need to grow up and stop expecting government to do what they themselves won't do.
Yes they force them. As I said in a previous post, employers may indeed be predatory. You are immovable in your belief that a person can just pick up and leave.

I find you to be tremendously naive in your beliefs that a person just gets up and quits. Ultimately a resume that has many employers listed reflects badly on you.

Do you honestly believe that your next employer is going to tell you at the interview that they expect 20 hours a week of unpaid overtime. Do you honestly believe that employers in a particular industry have not met and agreed that they would operate the same way?
or are you planted here by the Republican party?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
When I was a construction manager I expected to work as long as was needed. Sometimes this was 40 hours per week and sometimes 70 for the same pay. OK with me as I was enjoying the project. When the job was done they fired me instead of the ass kissing drone that stayed in the front office.

The fortunate part was I found a unionized state position that supported me for 25 years at a decent salary and resulted in excellent health insurance and a livable pension.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:

Ok, let's look at this. Supposed one is an Assistant Manager at a McDonalds, earning $30,000 -- over the limit and considered an exempt employee. You are mad a hell that the Manager makes you work 50 hours a week and you don't get paid for anything over 40 hours. So, you pick up and leave and go work for a Burger King. The management there does exactly the same thing to you -- makes you work over 40 hr for free.

I know, you free market types think that capitalism works perfectly but it doesn't. That's why the government has the right to set the rules of the road and it is why it is correct to raise the amount one must have reached in order to be considered except.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM

The Fair Labor Standards Act as it was written in 1938 classified those people in upper management as exempt. An important flaw in the FLSA was that the salary test was not indexed for inflation. This is no reflection on the authors since there was little reason for there to be inflation in 1937 and 1938. In 2016 President Obama issued an executive order to bring the salary threshold into the twenty first century. A Republican judge rescinded this order in December of 2016.

What is wrong here is that unscrupulous corporations take full advantage of the fact that they can compel anyone who earns more than $23,600 a year to work any quantity of hours of overtime a week. The price of anyone saying no to this is that they could lose their jobs.

I think that a forty hour week is a reasonable work week and that work loads should be designed to be done within that time frame. It is regrettable that those people who scream the loudest on this forum have an interest in continuing the abuse, or represent those who wish to continue the abuse. There are some employers who need to use occasional overtime as a tool to get things done. I regret that the abusers poison the oasis for them.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Either you believe in liberty or you do not. It really is as simple as that.

Government has NO business being in private business.. NONE.

It is your INDIVIDUAL responsibility to negotiate for your own benefit with a business. If you accept the conditions, then shut up! If you do not accept the conditions, quit... look for another job.

The problem with society today is we have a lot of stupid lazy people who are irresponsible and unwilling to take the responsibility for that issue. They expect others to pay them for breathing, give them handouts, and negotiate their worth and value for them.

Start being adults people or find a good place, dig a hole and bury yourself in it because you have no business or right to exist in a free society.
One can hardly negotiate with a business without the support of a unionized labor force. But we can't have those either!

Bottom line: some people simply do not support workers' rights nor do they respect the role of the working class in the national economy.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:

But if entire industries are operating this way - and they are - then how is that person supposed to find a magic job where the employers don't treat employees unfairly? I mean, history shows that MOST businesses will take whatever shortcut necessary to maximize profit and minimize costs. Without unions or regulations, this practice will continue to grow.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Default Great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Ok, let's look at this. Supposed one is an Assistant Manager at a McDonalds, earning $30,000 -- over the limit and considered an exempt employee. You are mad a hell that the Manager makes you work 50 hours a week and you don't get paid for anything over 40 hours. So, you pick up and leave and go work for a Burger King. The management there does exactly the same thing to you -- makes you work over 40 hr for free.

I know, you free market types think that capitalism works perfectly but it doesn't. That's why the government has the right to set the rules of the road and it is why it is correct to raise the amount one must have reached in order to be considered except.
Great minds think alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies