Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,282,616 times

Advertisements

Not to minimize the 2nd; I think it's pretty clear where I stand on that one. But... the two parties keep getting side-tracked by things that really shouldn't be an issue right now - like more gun laws, abortion or further gay rights. (Sorry gay NYC designer friends - you're doing just fine.) We have issues with jobs and the economy, and when was the last time you heard anything on these? And when you do hear about them, it's BOTH sides and the TPP, so on second thought, maybe we don't want them working together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,260,237 times
Government is getting too big for itself. They need to stay out of our bedrooms, out of a womans pregnant body and away from destroying the Constitution.

What I want our Gov. to do is enforce the laws we already have.
Guns are a problem in this country or I should say illegal guns. If a criminal uses a gun in his crime he goes to prison for a long time. Get tough on gun crime and the word will get out and the thugs will leave their guns home.

Illegal immigration is a big problem. Why do we even have illegal aliens at all? Shouldn't we know who is coming and going into and out of America? Legal citizens are tracked. Don't even think about skipping out on paying your taxes if you leave to live and work in another country.

We have laws for a reason and yes we can all get along if the laws are enforced.
Over the last 8 years we have been divided when we should be fast together to battle the real enemy of terrorists.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,889,416 times
Divide and conquer. The 2 parties have discovered that divided nation is easier to swindle than a unified nation. It also makes the people more gullible.
Look no further than the two candidates. Clinton and Trump. 30 years ago I doubt either would have even considered running for office given the baggage they carry.
Compromise? Nor when division is making the people so manageable and profitable.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
I don't know why people are so against tighter gun laws. There is absolutely no reason why anybody needs an assault rifle, none.

We won't go down the obvious route and remind that assault rifles are HIGHLY REGULATED... as I'm sure you know because assault rifles are select fire. But, if you mean semi-auto, single fire rifles, then we are talking about a new animal and there are reasons why they are legal and wanted, and not all for self defense. Target shooting, sport shooting, even hunting....

But, yeah, you are right: scary black guns. Ban them. And we should ban scary speech and scary assembly and scary religion and scary press.... I mean, rights are just pieces of a 'living breathing document'.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Default Why can't the 2 parties compromise??

Because the GOP has been taken over by religious crackpots who think they have conversations with god. Anyone who disagrees with whatever loony position they take is an enemy to be vanquished, not a governing body to negotiate with.

They were given a pointed warning by one of their own.

They wouldn't listen and now they've painted themselves into a corner.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
GOP, leave the abortion issue alone, Dems, start admitting we have a terrible illegal immigration problem and sanctuary cities are only making the problem worse.
Some reading on those sanctuary cities and how they came to be=
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_city

Old 07-22-2016, 07:52 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,774,119 times
I have a better idea - carve up the US and all the gun nuts can have the south. You all can build all the fences you want along your southern border and you can control all your women's reproductive rights and you also can discriminate against gays to your heart's content.

Face it, the right and the left just have fundamentally different ideas of what the USA is what it should be. I am all for making everyone happy by just dividing it into two. Gun nuts in one half, people for sensible gun laws in the other half. What's wrong with that?

Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 AM

45,447 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have a better idea - carve up the US and all the gun nuts can have the south. You all can build all the fences you want along your southern border and you can control all your women's reproductive rights and you also can discriminate against gays to your heart's content.

Face it, the right and the left just have fundamentally different ideas of what the USA is what it should be. I am all for making everyone happy by just dividing it into two. Gun nuts in one half, people for sensible gun laws in the other half. What's wrong with that?

And yet another example why.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,562,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post

That kind of thinking was settled back in 1861-65.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:08 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,282,616 times
I think one point that gets missed when we start talking about the divide between the parties is that not many of us - particularly on the right - falls in line with the party any more. I started my voting life as a Democrat, changed to the Republican party in my late 30's, and now don't know what the heck to do. The R's don't speak for many, many of us when they go off on their religious tangents. More than a few of us have also realized that they're not the party of smaller government, like they were supposed to be. But I'm not about to go back to the Democrats, who want to destroy the constitution and let every third-world citizen come into our country to be paid for by my 50 hour work weeks.

The problem is a lot larger than compromise. I think we need to revamp the parties. There's a reason we ended up with Trump; I just hope it doesn't take forever to get it sorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies