Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Why do whites talk about political correctness a lot?

Because we see it for what it is- An attempt to stifle Freedom of Speech and defame those with different opinions.

The question should be why don't non- whites talk about political correctness a lot?
Uh, no. You have the Freedom of Speech to say anything you want. It's just that other people also have the Freedom of Speech to comment on your words too.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Most people would call someone like you a hypocrite. You mention thinking rationally and not hitting someone that upsets you and in your next breath saying you would physically assault someone that made a verbal threat. Do you see how this sounds to everybody reading your post? There are mechanisms for people that make threats of violence. You could easily report it to the authorities but you said you'll choose a different route.

As for proving stereotypes, I'm not concerned about that. I'm not here on earth to win the hearts and minds of people that are racist against me. I will not stand idly by and just except someone using racial epithets towards me. Doing so would be considered cowardice.

Wrong..... a threat of physical harm requires a defense mechanism. If you're threatening to physically assault me and my family the response will be to stop the assault before it starts and that could include taking that responsibility on myself. If they said "I hope you get physically assaulted" that is different than saying "I am going to physically assault you" and nothing would come from it on my part. See the difference?

Surely you have enough common sense to differentiate the two. They are not equal. It's not cowardice to ignore someone calling you something that makes you angry. They've made no threat against you and until they threaten they are no threat. They're nothing more than ignorant. I don't respond to ignorance unless I can help educate them. To look someone in the eye while holding your temper and make a conscious effort to help them DESPITE their ignorance takes much more courage than swinging the second you hear something you don't like. THAT is more cowardice. Instead of trying to fix the problem you are just trying to make it go away as quickly as you can.

For you to become angry enough to hit someone because they are ignorant means that you are walking around "cocked and loaded" and just looking for an excuse to justify what you already want to do. You have a preconceived notion that the next white person you meet will likely say something racist towards you and in turn you prepare for a situation that may never happen.

You have anger issues and those stem from hate. You've made it clear that you don't care what anything else thinks and that disregard for humanity in general is dangerous.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:10 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
For what it's worth, I would agree. Except the 90 percent remark. I mean, black folks did fight in all wars, hang out at Woodstock, etc, no?

And for the record, I have always liked Black History Month and have no problem with it.
I agree in regards to the bold but honestly it does seem as if many Americans are unaware that black people have been in this country since the beginning and have contributed to this country since the beginning.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:13 PM

13,653 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree in regards to the bold but honestly it does seem as if many Americans are unaware that black people have been in this country since the beginning and have contributed to this country since the beginning.
Well, most Americans of all stripes have little if any interest in history.

And, it shows.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 PM

13,653 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Uh, no. You have the Freedom of Speech to say anything you want. It's just that other people also have the Freedom of Speech to comment on your words too.
Comments are welcome and indeed encouraged.

Defamation, intentional misrepresentation, and the like are embryonic fascism.

Make sure you shine your jackboots.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:32 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
Harry Truman said PC is a lot of crap. He was a Democrat.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:04 PM

599 posts, read 402,055 times
I talk about political correctness all of the time as it is bringing this country to its knees. Believe it or not but there was a time when people could say practically anything without worrying about offending someone. For example I love politically incorrect humor and love to make fun of myself and today it's just not the same. Political correctness has to go!!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:41 PM

684 posts, read 515,237 times
Quote:
In America, since we as black people have no specific ethnic heritage of which we are aware of (due to you know what) "black" is our heritage. That is why our month is Black History Month. But FWIW, I know quite a few people (I run in history and genealogy groups) who call it African American Heritage Month.
If I were black I'd probably simply identify myself my heritage as being "African Heritage" being that Africa is probably where my ancestors would have originated from. Yes there are "white" Africans but to say your origins or heritage is African it should be clear you are referring to yourself as being black.

Quote:
I prefer Black History Month. It is easier and I don't consider myself to be an African since my family has been in America for hundreds of years (nearly 400 years that I have traced).
My family has been in America for a long time too but that doesn't negate the fact I am of German ancestry which is traced back to Germany as far back as the late 1400's. While I am am American by birth I've always considered myself to be of German decent. America is a melting pot of many different races and heritages but if you're using "color" or "race" to describe who established "America" and its governing body of rules etc.. then yes it would be "white".

That doesn't negate the fact that the country was actually built by many different people of many races /colors and different heritages. Unfortunately those contributions by those other people who were not white or "British American" were mostly marginalized by the original founders and their descendants. Heck even the white Irish people were considered less than and treated poorly. Sure not as harsh as Southern Slaves but still the Irish were considered "less-than" and even problematic.

In regards to you being black, I understand your point of being an American of 400 years but that too doesn't negate your family origins wherever they may be.

Quote:
ETA: Also "American" history in America is celebrated nearly every day and 90% of what is discussed today in schools in regards to American history is indeed about white Americans.
Well the "whites" were the ones who landed at Plymouth Rock and took over the land and then developed it into what it is today and therefore it goes without saying that those whites do have a claim to their history. The founding fathers were all white, as were all the men signing all those old documents, which we still refer back to today. So if you're looking at history using a "black" or "white" race perspective then yes it will always come out to be whites who ruled and developed American and thats the history.

However if you look at history through another perspective such as heritage or origins there were other people (other whites) who were also left out and marginalized due to their origins. The Irish as mentioned. This is why there were the Irish slums and the Italian neighborhoods because those two groups of people were always huddled together because they were considered outsiders and not always welcome (even though they were white too)

I guess its all in how you look at it.

BTW let me ask, what do you think would be worse

A.) Being a descendant of a black slave
B.) Being the descendant of a white owner of black slaves
C.) Being the descendant of a Nazi / Hitler supporter who helped kill millions of people?
D.) Being the descendant of any of the above three and always being held accountable or associated for what your ancestors were when you had nothing to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies