Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Jordan knows he can't be on the "wrong" side of BLM. Poor young blacks line up for hours to pay $200 for his sneakers. In my city we've had several incidents of robbery, assault and shootings surrounding the release of the newest Jordan shoe.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Wonder why it took him so long to say something?

Now before people accuse me of being a spoil sport and the like, I'm just questioning those who have money and fame, who could have spoken out years ago and made a difference, now suddenly caring about these things.

I remember an article in Sports Illustrated a long time ago, that discussed the horrifying crime of kids killing each other for their sneakers.

When Jordan was shown the article, all he could muster was some brief words of sympathy, but he never spoke out about it or condemned it. Where was all of this decades ago?
I don't believe this article and what he is speaking of is not about his sneaker issue.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
A product of good parenting from a family not destroyed by the welfare state.
Yep, he's a guy that was raised with great values by great parents. Kudos for MJ, a superstar to be admired still.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-26-2016 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: crude

Old 07-25-2016, 11:01 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Seems to me that star athletes aren't the best examples to use. Their size, speed, coordination put them in the 0.001% of the population. What happens when all those with different genetics have their sports dream fall apart? My little example is three black guys that were the best football players at my small high school - overall decent guys while "stars" but 4-5 years later all were serving 10-27 years in prison for robbing and murdering an elderly man. If life is investing, many blacks aren't diversified. If the sports/entertaining thing doesn't work out, the wheels fall off the bus.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
That was an inside joke between him and his boy. His boy put it out there to a reporter, and got an unfair life of its own!

Mike chose, for reasons known only to him, to donate to Gantt's campaign privately. He may have done other acts privately. Not everyone is public, and, to be honest, not everyone should be! We may have been a bit unfair to Mike!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:23 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Jordan has always remained in the background most of his career, he did however threaten to move the Hornets if the NC Legislature didn't revoke HB2.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:49 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Jordan has always remained in the background most of his career, he did however threaten to move the Hornets if the NC Legislature didn't revoke HB2.
I don't believe he made that threat. There was a false report concerning that. He did however issue a statement denouncing HB2 and said no one would ever face discrimination including bathrooms at the arena the Hornets play.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Regardless of his history and whether or not someone likes him, he is a celebrity that is making an effort to do the right thing. If more celebrities would step up and use their spotlight and their voice to try to promote peaceful equality maybe it would reach the ears of those who would be inclined to listen.

I find it shameful that anyone would make an effort to discount or discredit his effort as noble and find excuses as to why one shouldn't find any merit in what he said. I'm really beginning to think that there is an agenda in some of the C-D posters here who don't have any desire to see race relations improve. If there was no agenda, the response would have been "I'm glad to see Michael stand up for something that supports humanity." If he is late to the party so be it. He still showed up which is miles ahead of a lot of people.

I don't see anyone hating on Malcolm X, and he started out hating white people. It wasn't until years later that he denounced his party and started working for peace across mankind. People can change and that is EXACTLY what needs to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies