Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,211 times

Advertisements

Intelligence: Back to Black

what should be dont with traitors? current penalties seem too soft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:29 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

I am not sure if this is a joke or if this is real. The article sounds like it was whipped up over lunch or something... does not reference anything or provide any backed up facts or data.

However in my opinion I do agree with what the article is talking about, while I cannot prove any of this I have heard of and seen many instances of the Chinese making attempts to replicate various American factory machinery as a cheaper alternative... these cheaper alternatives always seem to be the wrong choice.

It seems that the Chinese attitude toward technological progress is very strong however they try and do things too quickly and too cheaply and often end up with garbage. They do, do, a lot of copying... they seem to think that if they can replicate the specifications of another's technology then they will end up with the same product... however after all the shortcuts they make leading up to an exact copy... essentially makes the product garbage.

I am an engineering student at RIT and there are certainly a lot of Chinese here... all the ones I know are too busy trying to keep good grades, I never notice any of them actually snooping around... and the only way you could give a good "report" to their officials back home is if they are stealing things and taking them apart... thats why this article sounds so bogus in a way... why do they need to have all these spies if they could just buy the damn stuff in the first place?!?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I am not sure if this is a joke or if this is real. The article sounds like it was whipped up over lunch or something... does not reference anything or provide any backed up facts or data.

However in my opinion I do agree with what the article is talking about, while I cannot prove any of this I have heard of and seen many instances of the Chinese making attempts to replicate various American factory machinery as a cheaper alternative... these cheaper alternatives always seem to be the wrong choice.

It seems that the Chinese attitude toward technological progress is very strong however they try and do things too quickly and too cheaply and often end up with garbage. They do, do, a lot of copying... they seem to think that if they can replicate the specifications of another's technology then they will end up with the same product... however after all the shortcuts they make leading up to an exact copy... essentially makes the product garbage.

I am an engineering student at RIT and there are certainly a lot of Chinese here... all the ones I know are too busy trying to keep good grades, I never notice any of them actually snooping around... and the only way you could give a good "report" to their officials back home is if they are stealing things and taking them apart... thats why this article sounds so bogus in a way... why do they need to have all these spies if they could just buy the damn stuff in the first place?!?
they arent allowed to buy everything. there is alot of tech thats not allowed to be sold to them

Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:

Depends on the PROPER definition of "traitor". Whistleblowers, for example, are not traitors.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
they arent allowed to buy everything. there is alot of tech thats not allowed to be sold to them
Interesting... then this would require bits of photo-documentation... dismantling and measuring... stealing of components.... I just can't see one of these engineering students pulling this off!!!

While some find it annoying, I see it as very wise that my campus has a very organized, well numbered and highly utilized public safety department. Our MicroElectronics fabrication laboratory contains some equipment that are valued in the millions.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Interesting... then this would require bits of photo-documentation... dismantling and measuring... stealing of components.... I just can't see one of these engineering students pulling this off!!!

While some find it annoying, I see it as very wise that my campus has a very organized, well numbered and highly utilized public safety department. Our MicroElectronics fabrication laboratory contains some equipment that are valued in the millions.
in situations like that, its more a matter of blueprints.

or, even easier, bribing one of the professors with enough $$ he cant say no.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:04 PM

110 posts, read 58,315 times
I believe Ted Kennedy should load up Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid,Murtha,turbin Durbin, et al in a micro bus and drive them across Chappaquidic. That would be a good start.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
in situations like that, its more a matter of blueprints.

or, even easier, bribing one of the professors with enough $$ he cant say no.
See... now I can't tell if this is a joke or not... it sounds like a cheesy spy movie.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
See... now I can't tell if this is a joke or not... it sounds like a cheesy spy movie.
there have actually been a few arrests for that over the past few yrs.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUHilltopper View Post
I believe Ted Kennedy should load up Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid,Murtha,turbin Durbin, et al in a micro bus and drive them across Chappaquidic. That would be a good start.
And where, pray tell, would it end? Until enough people you don't like are killed? No trial, no laws broken (you didn't mention any), and you're off sentencing them to death? Do you know how long you'd last if you had your way?

What you're suggesting is traitorous to the American spirit, to freedom, to our way of life. How will you feel when the justice you dispense places you at the end of the plank, looking down at the murky waters below?

My allegiance is to those ideals, not the government or its representatives. My country's wars are not my own. I fight for what's right, something that often is not found in the folds of a flag. Pity enough people don't think for themselves and accept the misapplied label of "traitor", for more often than not, the best patriot is the one who stands up in opposition to "authority".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies