Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 02:42 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
the Democrat party would support photo ID to vote if the majority of black voters were voting for the GOP. The GOP will be for photo ID regardless because it makes sense and is the only way to prevent voter fraud.

you've seen people on this thread say they are ok with voter fraud in elections if it also means more black people vote. in other words, we must do away with a common sense safeguard to maintain the validity of our elections simply to pander to people who fail to obtain a photo ID, an incredibly easy task. The Democrat party exploits te real racism of the past to maximize their votes in the present.
Jesus christ, did you really just write and believe that?

And also, you haven't spoke about the other FOUR parts of the law that was overruled.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Jesus christ, did you really just write and believe that?

And also, you haven't spoke about the other FOUR parts of the law that was overruled.
i have posted at length about the other four parts of the law. I believe that I even discussed these items specifically with you. For instance, I pointed out that most states don't allow same day registration to vote. NC's law was just moving the state into the mainstream on that.

i pointed out that there are states that don't allow early voting at all, including the blue states of NY and Hawaii. NC has 10 days of early voting and the new law extended the early voting hours. It is difficult to argue people are disenfranchised with 'only' 10 days of early voting plus election day.

NC is one of the few states to have weekend and Sunday early voting. The judges in this recent ruling tried to say the bill is racist because it eliminated one Sunday, which is supposedly a day with high black turnout, but it many states, including blue states, have no Sunday voting.

One of the laws was just preventing people from voting outside of their precinct, which is a common sense law, and a law in most states.

And I pointed that black turnout was up big in 2014 compared to 2010 with these elements of the law in effect, and the black turnout was twice that of the white turnout. This fact completely nukes the voter supression theory.

Here is an article that I crudely tried to summarize above. http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-von-spakovsky

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-03-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 06:06 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Default McCrory Doubles Down On Racism

Just a short time ago:

"A federal appeals court Friday overturned parts of North Carolina's 2013 voting law, including provisions that required voters to show a photo identification card, saying they were enacted "with racially discriminatory intent" in violation of the Constitution and the Voting Rights Act."

Now in that ruling the judges said "Winning an election does not empower anyone in any party to engage in purposeful racial discrimination...”

However

"McCrory said the ruling would be appealed, and that the parties involved were deciding whether to go to the full 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals or directly to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The governor defended the 2013 elections law, which also shaved a week off of early voting while retaining the same number of hours, prohibited same-day registration and out-of-precinct voting, and eliminated pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds.

McCrory criticized the federal three-judge panel as partisan, and said the election law worked well in the primary this year. He insisted the motive behind the law was preventing voter fraud, not to make it more difficult for minorities to vote."
Read more here: N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper won't defend voter ID suit further; Gov. Pat McCrory criticizes him | News & Observer

LOL! the myth of voter fraud. The only voter fraud is the ones counting the votes and the ones deciding who can vote.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
i have posted at length about the other four parts of the law. I believe that I even discussed these items specifically with you. For instance, I pointed out that most states don't allow same day registration to vote. NC's law was just moving the state into the mainstream on that.

i pointed out that there are states that don't allow early voting at all, including the blue states of NY and Hawaii. NC has 10 days of early voting and the new law extended the early voting hours. It is difficult to argue people are disenfranchised with 'only' 10 days of early voting plus election day.

NC is one of the few states to have weekend and Sunday early voting. The judges in this recent ruling tried to say the bill is racist because it eliminated one Sunday, which is supposedly a day with high black turnout, but it many states, including blue states, have no Sunday voting.

One of the laws was just preventing people from voting outside of their precinct, which is a common sense law, and a law in most states.

And I pointed that black turnout was up big in 2014 compared to 2010 with these elements of the law in effect, and the black turnout was twice that of the white turnout. This fact completely nukes the voter supression theory.

Here is an article that I crudely tried to summarize above. DOJ Abuses the Courts to Win Elections | National Review
Simpsonvilllian - I'll be willing to accept the validity of using an ID for in-person voting, if you would accept absentee ballots that could only be counted if the ballot had a place to record fingerprint impressions or a DNA saliva sample that could be matched to existing databases to verify the voter. It seems to me there's a bigger chance of voter fraud using absentee ballots than in-person voter fraud. What say you?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:15 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Ok. you have a partisan bias though, one suspects.

there is nothing wacko about requiring a photo ID to vote. 70 percent of Americans support it.
If voter fraud was indeed an issue, but it isn't. The GOP is facing a shifting demographic as America continues to black and brown. They'll continue to attempt to create other measures to balance the demographic shift. Not just voter ID but shrinking the early vote period, relocating voting locations from universities, etc...all measures that mostly impact democratic voters, it's no secret as to what they're trying to do.

It's akin to putting a Band-Aid on 3rd degree burn. They'll need to move towards a platform the openly welcomes minorities and drown out a portion of outdated nationalist that want to take-our-country-back and believe its business as usual. I'm afraid that run is over, America is changing, fast.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:44 PM

i know many conservative think tanks have been screeaming about absentee ballot voter fraud for years. I do not think the NC GOP would have any problem with more stringent requirements to absentee vote. i do not believe the NC Democrats have proposed making absentee voting tougher and then they would will support the rest of the bill.

i personally support ending 'no excuse' absentee voting and mail voting that is used in some states exclusivelu like Oregon. I believe that most voter fraud regardless of what form is done on behalf of Democrats and i support any policy that makes it harder to cheat.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
If voter fraud was indeed an issue, but it isn't. The GOP is facing a shifting demographic as America continues to black and brown. They'll continue to attempt to create other measures to balance the demographic shift. Not just voter ID but shrinking the early vote period, relocating voting locations from universities, etc...all measures that mostly impact democratic voters, it's no secret as to what they're trying to do.

It's akin to putting a Band-Aid on 3rd degree burn. They'll need to move towards a platform the openly welcomes minorities and drown out a portion of outdated nationalist that want to take-our-country-back and believe its business as usual. I'm afraid that run is over, America is changing, fast.
this is political rhetoric. you assert the GOP does 'not welcome minorities' yet you do not specifiy any policies that are not welcoming. is the GOP school voucher and choice policy anti-minority? Is supporting 2nd amendment and allowing minorities to own a firearm for self defense anti-minority? is opposing abortion anti-minority, given many of the babies aborted are black and hispanic? i could go on and on.

as i've pointed out to you over and over, and you never address, numerous blue states have the same restrictions as this NC voter law. yet you say it is racist when NC has the exact same laws as blue states.

you have not demonstrated that obtaining a photo id is a difficult thing to do. you just accuse GOP of being racist.

It is at the point that a person cannot be concerned about voter fraud without being characterized as a KKK member by the Democrat party, which is curious given the history of that party. It would be like the Nazi party, if it still existed, accusing another party of racism.

i find it amazing that a party that is forever falsely accusing other people of racism has not even bothered to change its name given the racist history of the party. it seems like it would want to rebrand itself. it is disrespectful in my view for the Democrat party to ask black voters to vote for a party with that name. WHen I see 'Democratic Party', as a student of history, i think of slavery, secession, segregation, opposition to anti- lynching laws, Jim Crow, George Wallace, Bull Connor, etc.

that is why it is so crazy that 3 Democrat judges struck down this law based on past NC history, that history is their party's history and they've hung it around the GOP's neck.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-03-2016 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
this is political rhetoric. you assert the GOP does 'not welcome minorities' yet you do not specifiy any policies that are not welcoming. is the GOP school voucher and choice policy anti-minority? Is supporting 2nd amendment and allowing minorities to own a firearm for self defense anti-minority? i could go on and on.

as i've pointed out to you over and over, and you never address, numerous blue states have the same restrictions as this NC voter law. yet you say it is racist when NC has the exact same laws as blue states.

you have not demontrated that obtaining a photo id is a difficult thing to do. you just accuse GOP of being racist. It is not at the point that a person be concerned about voter fraud without being characterized as a KKK member by the Democrat party, which is curious given the history of that party.
The current GOP doesn't pursue minorities or make minority issues a part of their platform. They haven't needed to, well not yet but as the demographic continues to shift, it might become prudent to do so. Sure, everyone will eventually obtain voter IDs but it still doesn't mean voter fraud is or was ever a problem, it clearly isn't. And it doesn't address a deeper concern for the future GOP as to how to modify their platform to attract minorities.

A Republican Senator pulled Bill Clinton to the side and asked him " Why do Black people like you so much?" He replied,"They like people who like them". At least the Libs pretend to enjoy being around minorities, maybe not genuine but at least they try....start there, act like you dammit care.

Edit to your edit. We all know that about the 60's revolt from the old Democratic Party to the new Republican party as those who opposed the Civil Rights Bill. The old Republican party was the party of Lincoln, and like Clinton, he at least pretended to like Black people. The new Republican party....not so much, yet.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-03-2016 at 07:47 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Bill Clinton's mentor was the segregationist William Fullbright. CLinton gave Fullbright the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and called him a visionary. He also started a Robert E Lee day in Arkansas.

The GOP policies are not about pandering to one group or another. The Democrat party has always pandered to the poor, which is why it it owned the south back in the day when it was largely poor and uneducated. A larger number of black people are poor, thus they are attracted to the Democrat's message. To get their vote, our policies would have to be be liberal Democrat policies. And, as most people know, black conservatives often get ridiculed as 'Uncle Toms'. there is a lot of peer pressure on black people to vote Democrat.

again, you've asserted, as a partisan Democrat, that we don't reach out to black voters, as though there is one correct position for black people to take. So all black voters must be for abortion, against gun rights, etc? that is the proper black position, as you see it. you don't appear to view black people as individuals. our reach out is, this is what we believe, if you agree with us, then vote for us. that is all we can do.

the reality is racists generally have no problem with abortion because many of the babies aborted are black. you've asserted that we hate black people yet we are literally doing what we can to prevent black babies from being aborted. That is why i say we are living in George Orwell's nightmare now. the opposite of the truth is now the truth.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-03-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 07:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
i know many conservative think tanks have been screeaming about absentee ballot voter fraud for years. I do not think the NC GOP would have any problem with more stringent requirements to absentee vote. i do not believe the NC Democrats have proposed making absentee voting tougher and then they would will support the rest of the bill.

i personally support ending 'no excuse' absentee voting and mail voting that is used in some states exclusivelu like Oregon. I believe that most voter fraud regardless of what form is done on behalf of Democrats and i support any policy that makes it harder to cheat.
North Carolina absentee ballot is a real pain in the arse.
My late mom, who I took care of in her final years and was to feabile to go to her precinct and omg the requirements definitely make it a challenge for voter fraud to happen, and due to all the requirements she was not able to vote in her final years.

This info in case someone knows they are not going to be around during elections

First is needed the name, address with either NCDL or last 4 digits of social security number
If those cant be provided then any legal documents with address

Then they will send those items back with ballot and a certificate statement with BOE return envelope.
Certificate statement is a doozy

It has to be signed by notary of public or two adults above age 18 who are not camdidates and not only they have to sign but also give their address.

Since I was taking care of her we didnt have another witness .

I felt bad because she stayed tuned to politics or shall I say i don't think she ever try to find something besides a news channel Thank goodness for other televisions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies