Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,587,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Video link;

https://youtu.be/E3pU3g7THsA

Ultimately we're saving America money by giving away money to Iran. Genius. Spending money we don't have.

Maybe it was a delayed tax refund? Giving money to terrorists so we can work to get it back later.

Please explain how returning Iran's own money to them is "spending money we don't have."

"That sum was actually part of a $1.7 billion settlement to Iran for a decades-long legal dispute that was before an international tribunal in The Hague, according to State Department spokesman John Kirby."

$400M Payment to Iran as Americans Freed Not a Ransom: White House - NBC News

But I'll openly admit that it provides a convenient excuse for another GOP lie.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 AM

57,421 posts, read 26,319,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I did a little research and here is what I found, don't know if it is true or not though. Here is my take on it though. If it was due to use freezing their assets after taking our embassy hostage... well I'd tell them to pound sand. You lost your money for effing with us, regardless if we got all our people back. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it , and there is much more that we don't know.

"150 billion dollars?

What does this number mean? Is the US giving taxpayer money to Iran, clearly a hostile nation? Definitely not. If there is anyone promoting that, kick him out. Who knows what he will do next. However, this was not really the case with Iran.

In 1979, a Revolution toppled the monarchy, which was oppressing its people. The Revolution initially was more moderate leftist, but took a conservative (or traditionalist for Bill O'Reilly) turn to the far-right with the rise of Ayatollah Khomeini. The Revolutionary Guards started to even purge within its own revolutionary allies and the partisans stormed the American Embassy and held everyone there hostage. What did the Carter Administration do? Simple. It froze all the Iranian assets in US banks. For 36 years, the assets just sat there. Carter's efforts were the major reasons the hostages were returned. Had it been anyone else, we would have seen tens dead.

Let's fast forward to when Iran was cementing its nuclear program, the Bush Administration. Calling Iran a terrorist state, the Republicans refused to even sit down with Iran (unless when Reagan was shipping them arms to fund the Contras). The capabilities of Iran boosted from basically nothing to immediate.

What choices were left for the Obama Administration? Sanctions weren't working. No one except the US and Israel really supported sanctions. War? The Iraq War damaged American prestige globally. By the way, Iran has nothing to lose really either. There was only one choice possible. Give Iran economic room to grow, making the Iranian economy a bargaining chip for the US. If Iran was to be interconnected with the US economically, the Iranian government would have to respect American requests. And the deal really postpones the nuclear program for more than a decade. If this isn't a victory, the War of 1812 was a humiliating defeat.

This is where the 150 dollars come in. The US government released the Iranian assets within the US. Let me assert two things here. First, this was not even American money to take away or hand out. The US just obstructed Iran from accessing the money. Secondly, the actual amount is really hazy. The estimate above is a generous estimate. Don't devote yourself to that number."
Iran was requesting $10 B at the Hague Tribunal, $1.7B is a great deal.

The US also agreed to release some Iranians that we had imprisoned for several years at the same time the 4 hostages were released. One had nothing to do with the other.
It was their money and the negotiations were separate.

Quote:
The release of the four dual-nationals is part of a prisoner exchange, according to IRNA and U.S. sources.
One U.S. source tells NPR's Carrie Johnson that seven Iranians will be pardoned or win commuted sentences as part of the swap. U.S. officials also say charges will be dismissed against 14 Iranian fugitives.
Iran Releasing 5 American Detainees; America Releasing 7 Iranians : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 08-04-2016, 07:14 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,598,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Justification #1 - it's THEIR money. They paid us $1.7B in 1979 for equipment we never delivered.

A 35 year interest free loan of $1.7B is a deal that would even make the Donald envious and his deals are the best. Believe me. The greatest deals, so many great deals.
Iran made a 400 million dollar payment for fighter jets that were part of the deal. $1.3 billion is the interest.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Video link;

https://youtu.be/E3pU3g7THsA

Ultimately we're saving America money by giving away money to Iran. Genius. Spending money we don't have.
Correct. It was Iran's money, so it is correct to say it was not our money, or money we don't have.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,124,295 times
Last year, my brother in law had trouble paying rent, so he came to me for help. I paid for 2 months rent that he was behind so he wouldn't get kicked out. This year, I started going after him to get paid back. I hear from other people that he keeps complaining I'm trying to take his hard earned money.

The ironic thing is this guy is a hard core conservative. And this is the conservative attitude about owing money. Once they take out a loan, they forget that it's borrowed money and start treating it as their own.

Republicans have no sense of honor. If anything, the responses from conservatives in this thread is proof that they have no sense of honor when it comes to debt.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,414,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Iran made a 400 million dollar payment for fighter jets that were part of the deal. $1.3 billion is the interest.

Yep, I missed that when reading the reports yesterday. I stand corrected on the amount, the point remains, however.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:30 AM

29,588 posts, read 14,725,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Iran was requesting $10 B at the Hague Tribunal, $1.7B is a great deal.

The US also agreed to release some Iranians that we had imprisoned for several years at the same time the 4 hostages were released. One had nothing to do with the other.
It was their money and the negotiations were separate.

Iran Releasing 5 American Detainees; America Releasing 7 Iranians : The Two-Way : NPR

Understood...sort of.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Justification #1 - it's THEIR money. They paid us $1.7B in 1979 for equipment we never delivered.

A 35 year interest free loan of $1.7B is a deal that would even make the Donald envious and his deals are the best. Believe me. The greatest deals, so many great deals.
US has been sitting on Iran's money since 1979.

And Iran got to save face with thir own people , ignore the background and call it ransom, not too different than some US media.

The delivery of $400 million was announced in January and is a matter of public record. Some in Congress were none too pleased back then. Obviously some media outlets preferred to sit on it until the campaign season.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm curious. What kind of mental block is at play when you refuse to understand that this was their money to begin with? They transferred this money to us back in the 70s for equipment that were never delivered.
Some media conveniently omitted that this is Iran's money and instead seeks to create a perception that it's tax payer's money.

This is the same strategy used when $100 billion was returned to Iran. Most of this money had been frozen in various European countries, not the US. Yet, some media portrayed this as $100 billion of US tax payer's money.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 08-04-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 10:29 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,742,808 times
Why was it not wire transferred legitimately via bank to bank?? Sending cash is paying off terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies