Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 07:25 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The issue, in other words is that the increase in life spans and efficacy of treatments are creating, overall an insoluble problem.

Trouble is that's not insurance. That only works if everyone is and has to be covered. If one pays the nominal penalties and then winds up sick and suddenly is "insured" they've passed a known risk off to the public. The purpose of insurance is to spread risk, not stick known occurrences on others.
For the most part increased life spans are a good thing. Sure there are those lives futily or unnecessarily prolonged, and living wills help to minimize that.

Free markets and HC coverage do not meld well without central controls and mandates.
Part of HC insurance is or should be to cover those already sick. And that cannot be done without raising healthy people's premiums, or by providing central supports. Otherwise the cost to cover those with pre-existing would be too high for most to afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:29 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Except you want to decide that your idea of 'health' is the same for everyone else, and then impose penalties on them if they don't agree to help you insure against all of your phobias.

I have no interest in helping you insure your pent-up wealth so that you can spend it on funner things. If you're concerned about losing that to medical costs, then tough. If it's depleted, the safety net underneath it is what I pay Medicaid taxes for. Anything above that is on you.
What?

As i keep saying,someone like you who shows up in the ER and expects everyone else to pay are idiots.

Revoke EMTLA and then where would you idiots go?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:05 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What?

As i keep saying,someone like you who shows up in the ER and expects everyone else to pay are idiots.

Revoke EMTLA and then where would you idiots go?
How much do you pay in monthly premiums? How much is your deductible? Do you get subsidies? If you ended up in the ER could you afford to pay your deductible?

Some families and couples are paying more then $1,000 per month for "insurance" that few doctors will even accept. On top of that they still have deductibles in the thousands to meet before insurance kicks in. Tell me how this qualifies as insurance? Could you afford to pay for something like that? Or would you be an "idiot"?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:11 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
For the most part increased life spans are a good thing. Sure there are those lives futily or unnecessarily prolonged, and living wills help to minimize that.
Except that past a certain point the person is a walking medical expense.

Quote:
Part of HC insurance is or should be to cover those already sick. And that cannot be done without raising healthy people's premiums, or by providing central supports. Otherwise the cost to cover those with pre-existing would be too high for most to afford.
Why should pre-existing conditions be insurable? The purpose of insurance is to spread risk. Should it be also to stick society with already existing conditions and expenses? It's similar to asking a broker, if a stock price goes down, to paying me the value of the stock the week before.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:25 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
How much do you pay in monthly premiums? How much is your deductible? Do you get subsidies? If you ended up in the ER could you afford to pay your deductible?

Some families and couples are paying more then $1,000 per month for "insurance" that few doctors will even accept. On top of that they still have deductibles in the thousands to meet before insurance kicks in. Tell me how this qualifies as insurance? Could you afford to pay for something like that? Or would you be an "idiot"?

One night in ER will cost you several thousand. W/O insurance, do not fret about deductibles, or list vs insurance price. It's list, and assuming your income does not qualify for charity care, the bill is all yours.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:31 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If everyone would look at the amount of taxes they pay federally, state, locally, sales tax etc and then divide that by their pay rate they'd be surprised how much of their time they exchanged to make that money just to give it away to government. People aren't thinking.

The only thing you can do is become a minimalist, reduce expenses and reduce your income. Otherwise you're giving up a lot of your life.
Guarantee I pay way more in taxes than you ever did. Your way of living sounds absolutely miserable.

We own a very successful small business (over 30 years), love working, love the line of business we are in, feel very lucky to being born in the US.

You to live in a first world country, it comes at a cost.

When you focus only on the taxes you pay, you lose the joy of living. Your living in greed and never will be happy.

Hey if life living in lack is fun for you. Enjoy. But it sounds like hell on earth to those of us who live in abundance.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Except that past a certain point the person is a walking medical expense.

Why should pre-existing conditions be insurable? The purpose of insurance is to spread risk. Should it be also to stick society with already existing conditions and expenses? It's similar to asking a broker, if a stock price goes down, to paying me the value of the stock the week before.
How do you, the patient or the family know when things are futile?

Answer - The patient's doc(s) and living will. We cannot do better.

Pre-existing is a broad term. Erectile dysfunction is well defined and not life threatening. Lymphoma is less well defined and can be life threatening. Sure we could let free markets reign and simply not cover the lymphoma patient conventionally. But we can provide central means to cover, or subsidize. Or as you suggest, simply let the lymphoma patients without the financial means suffer and die.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm fine with eliminating Medicaid. One in five seniors receive Medicaid as well. That's how they are paying for senior care. They can give their assets to family members, claim poverty and boom, Medicaid pays for it. End Medicaid and have their families pay for their 24 hour care.
The underlined is a bold face lie. There is a investigation that goes back 5 years to make sure that hasn't happened. This has been in effect for years.

Don't believe you ever denied you weren't in your 20's.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Or as you suggest, simply let the lymphoma patients without the financial means suffer and die.
Maybe somebody should pay for care. But be open and say that it's a societal subsidy for care. Don't call it "insurance." Or else why couldn't I buy insurance the day after a fire burns down my house?

Old 08-21-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Maybe somebody should pay for care. But be open and say that it's a societal subsidy for care. Don't call it "insurance." Or else why couldn't I buy insurance the day after a fire burns down my house?
It is still insurance. Central mandates have twisted the arms of private payers to cover the ones with pre-existing. They expected to also cover vast numbers of our healthy young to offset those risks. But that of course did not pan out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies