Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:56 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lmfao @ 'sent in Mexican'.

Maybe he's just trollin.

Maybe it was in Mayan and Nahuatl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I did accommodate you. I answered you back in English.

As per the rules on CD by the way.

Why would you participate in a site with such an intolerant policy?

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Why would you participate in a site with such an intolerant policy?
You're confusing the site's policy with your personal policy.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,458,112 times
This guy must be enjoying his 15 mins of fame. This also points to a problem where a majority of Americans speak only English. In just about any other country, people speak 2 or more languages.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:06 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,593,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
This guy must be enjoying his 15 mins of fame. This also points to a problem where a majority of Americans speak only English. In just about any other country, people speak 2 or more languages.
I would like to see some relevant studies on that statement, I speak 3 languages well enough to get by besides English, (Russian, Serbo-Croatian, French), 3 more I can order a meal, get a room or find the bath, (German, Italian, Japanese), and a half dozen other's I know enough to get a beer or proposition a lady.
Many of my friends are about the same, some more fluent, some less, although I will say out of a circle of around 30 friends I've traveled and worked with, only 2 of those have more than a passing knowledge of "Spanglish" from being stationed in Puerto Rico for a while.

I know what a cerveza is, and what a banyo is, but beyond that, I have had very little exposure to Spanish. French and Italian, yes, but I haven't ever found the need to speak Mexican Spanish.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:16 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,760,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Smh. What a fool ... especially when the town has a name like "Huachuca".

Gesundheit!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:19 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,760,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post

Ah but for a lot of these people English is their second language. We already know English.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The thought that someone would think an American mayor would not be able to read English is pretty scary.
What scares me is the English-speaking people who don't evidently comprehend the articles they are reading.

The article said the meeting includes border-city mayors, on BOTH sides of the border. If you're sending an invitation to BOTH Spanish-speaking and English-speaking mayors, then it's logical to print the invitation in both Spanish and English.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times
Go to any of the other non-English speaking countries in the world and demand they conduct business and social discourse in English. Get back to me and tell me were they told you to go.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,152,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I would like to see some relevant studies on that statement, I speak 3 languages well enough to get by besides English, (Russian, Serbo-Croatian, French), 3 more I can order a meal, get a room or find the bath, (German, Italian, Japanese), and a half dozen other's I know enough to get a beer or proposition a lady.
Many of my friends are about the same, some more fluent, some less, although I will say out of a circle of around 30 friends I've traveled and worked with, only 2 of those have more than a passing knowledge of "Spanglish" from being stationed in Puerto Rico for a while.

I know what a cerveza is, and what a banyo is, but beyond that, I have had very little exposure to Spanish. French and Italian, yes, but I haven't ever found the need to speak Mexican Spanish.
I speak 2 languages other than English (Spanish/French), can get by in another somewhat (Italian), but I use Spanish much more frequently than the other non-English languages in the US, here in Northern California.

I've had Spanish-speaking roommates, neighbors, customers when running a business, contractors, etc. And no, none of them are illegals, to my knowledge. And of course, Spanish-speaking friends -- all mostly of Mexican heritage. And in my experience, when I became friends with them individually, I ended up becoming friends with their whole family.

So I definitely have had the opportunity to use my Spanish here in the US -- even if I get teased for having a Bogotá accent.

Latinos *are* part of the US culture, and most of them originate from Spanish-speaking roots. I think the US misses out on a lot by shunning that. Learning each new language made me look at myself and everything else from a fresh perspective. It gave me more insight on even the English language.

And that's just with languages within the same family, which aren't even too dissimilar from English compared to many other languages.

I want to learn Mandarin next (maybe Cantonese instead though, since that's more commonly spoken here in the Bay Area than Mandarin). I can only imagine how much more that will shift my paradigm.

Sorry, I've gone way off-topic. But my point is, there is value in learning languages other than just English.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 08-12-2016 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies