Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:32 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,217 times

Advertisements

I have a question.

WHY oh WHY should paper be wasted sending invitations to people such as the mother of the groom and immediate family if that family has actively participated the entire time with wedding preparations? They even had me send an invite to my mother, and I LIVE with her. That is stupid and pointless to me.

They already know they're coming, they live not 15 minutes away....It just seems silly to get in a huff about not getting an invite to a shower when you KNOW you wouldnt be unwelcome. This is his aunt I forgot....but Id put out multiple messages via Facebook saying 'Need addresses!'. She never responded, and now Im in hot water for leaving her out.

Also, for what reason did I get fussed at when I wanted to send the majority of invites via Facebook? Easy peasy, but nooooo.

And furthermore, WHY is it like pulling teeth to get someone's address from them? Then those are the ones that complain when they get left out.

Sorry this is a bit everywhere, but Im aggravated. The sooner this wedding crap is over with and I get these women out of my hair, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,739 times
I think I've received shower invites via FB but not sure. Whenever I do receive an invite over FB I never pay too much attention as it seems "spammy" to me. I also don't check FB all the time. I pay more attention to invites that come via regular mail or email but in all, I really don't get bothered to any degree by stuff like that. I've heard some people are really against using FB in this way but not sure why.

In my experience, people tend to get jacked up over weddings.....who is invited, who isn't, all that drama. That show Bridezillas exists for a reason . While it might be entertaining to watch, not so much to experience it in real life. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I have a question.

WHY oh WHY should paper be wasted sending invitations to people such as the mother of the groom and immediate family if that family has actively participated the entire time with wedding preparations? They even had me send an invite to my mother, and I LIVE with her. That is stupid and pointless to me.

They already know they're coming, they live not 15 minutes away....It just seems silly to get in a huff about not getting an invite to a shower when you KNOW you wouldnt be unwelcome. This is his aunt I forgot....but Id put out multiple messages via Facebook saying 'Need addresses!'. She never responded, and now Im in hot water for leaving her out.

Also, for what reason did I get fussed at when I wanted to send the majority of invites via Facebook? Easy peasy, but nooooo.

And furthermore, WHY is it like pulling teeth to get someone's address from them? Then those are the ones that complain when they get left out.

Sorry this is a bit everywhere, but Im aggravated. The sooner this wedding crap is over with and I get these women out of my hair, the better.
The formalities must be observed, that's why.

Another reason? If you send one kind of invitation to the out-of-towners and then a far more casual invitation to the ones you just mentioned (Or worse, call them up with, "Hey, shower next week. Can you make it?"), what you basically told them that you are taking them for granted, that they are the afterthought to you. They are the B list, so to speak, not worth the extra time it takes you to scribble out their address on an envelope and affix a stamp.

I understand why you're frustrated. But do your part for civilization and resist the rising tide of mediocrity. Sometimes the old ways remain the best ways.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
I have a question.

Maybe they're making scrapbooks?

Okay, I'm reaching. The answer is because they don't have anything going on in their lives and they are too self-absorbed and ignorant of the world around them to give a rat's arse about something that is actually important, like the state of the nation.

If they don't send you their address, yet they make a big stink about receiving invitations, send your invites via Facebook and just tell them, "Since I didn't have your address, I'm sending it via Facebook."

In fact, I would not use the event function. Instead, I would send the invite as a message reply in part of the chain where I repeatedly asked for the address, so that they see the whole conversation as a reminder of their own rudeness.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Im just getting to the point where I dont care WHO got WHAT invitation, if I left you out just call me and I'll tell you the time and date, etc.

I hate this process...I even hated looking for a dress. And I hate to break it to them, but when I run out of invitations Im sending Facebook ones. No postage! lol

Old 01-12-2012, 06:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Use E-vite? I think that would take care of most of your problems.

I'm so glad my family is laid back. They wouldn't want invitations; They just want to be invited to whatever is happening.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
All I'd have to do is tell my parents that I'm getting married on this date and be there by X time, and they'd show up with a smile and laughing.

My dad and stepmom are cool people.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
My family is huge and my brother went through this with his wedding. He had to invite my mom's friends and our 2nd or third cousins. Then great uncles and aunts. My sister in law and my brother asked me to walk around asking who is who. I know a lot of them but our family is big. And of course the first cousins and aunts and uncles.

But Op when is is all said and done no one remembers this and that. Everyone just wants to be invited.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I have a question.

I think sending shower invites via FB are fine, if you don't want anyone to come.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think sending shower invites via FB are fine, if you don't want anyone to come.
Heh, I got through my first shower. That was the fun one....this next one......we'll just say the theme isnt my thing. Neither is the dressing up part. The fun one we all wore jeans.

This one, they're wanting me in a dress....yeah, THAT isnt happening. Pants FTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings