Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 01:05 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Taxes Are Golden
Every four years, U.S. Olympic athletes put on a grand show on the world stage. And then members of Congress seize on their efforts to grandstand about taxes.

U.S. Olympians receive $25,000 for winning a gold medal, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze, and as assuredly as Katie Ledecky hitting the wall of the pool first, lawmakers inevitably surface every four years to complain that those winnings are taxed. This year, it's Thune and Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer hawking their United States Appreciation for Olympians and Paralympians Act. Four years ago for the London Games it was Sen. Marco Rubio pulling a similar trick, with the support of President Barack Obama. The Senate this year even approved Thune's bill.

However, they are just like everyone else.

Trying to give Olympic athletes a tax break is probably good politics, but it's silly economics. Olympic winnings are income and should be taxed as such, something on which economic policy analysts from the right and left agree. As Samantha Goewey wrote in the Seton Hall Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law, "why should Olympians receive a tax benefit when all other U.S. citizens are required to pay taxes on 'income from whatever source derived?' More specifically, what makes Olympians more worthy of a tax benefit than Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer Prize winners, World Cup champions, and the like?"

Sorry guys and gals... pay up when you come home. Phelps - we will really be glad to have you back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Taxes Are Golden
Every four years, U.S. Olympic athletes put on a grand show on the world stage. And then members of Congress seize on their efforts to grandstand about taxes.

U.S. Olympians receive $25,000 for winning a gold medal, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze, and as assuredly as Katie Ledecky hitting the wall of the pool first, lawmakers inevitably surface every four years to complain that those winnings are taxed. This year, it's Thune and Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer hawking their United States Appreciation for Olympians and Paralympians Act. Four years ago for the London Games it was Sen. Marco Rubio pulling a similar trick, with the support of President Barack Obama. The Senate this year even approved Thune's bill.

However, they are just like everyone else.

Trying to give Olympic athletes a tax break is probably good politics, but it's silly economics. Olympic winnings are income and should be taxed as such, something on which economic policy analysts from the right and left agree. As Samantha Goewey wrote in the Seton Hall Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law, "why should Olympians receive a tax benefit when all other U.S. citizens are required to pay taxes on 'income from whatever source derived?' More specifically, what makes Olympians more worthy of a tax benefit than Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer Prize winners, World Cup champions, and the like?"

Sorry guys and gals... pay up when you come home. Phelps - we will really be glad to have you back home.
Good. U.S. troops stationed overseas (not on deployment) still pay state and federal taxes.

I see no reason why athletes shouldn't.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
in general if we can cut taxes that is good. Not for one small group of people though. Income is income is income.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:03 PM

3,841 posts, read 3,068,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good. U.S. troops stationed overseas (not on deployment) still pay state and federal taxes.

I see no reason why athletes shouldn't.

That's because your a big tax and spend liberal.

BTW, I seriously doubt troops stationed overseas pay state income taxes.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post

SMH...that's because you've never been a troop, let alone a troop overseas.

Soldiers stationed overseas pay federal AND state taxes. Get it?

And being a tax and spend liberal is irrelevant.

Olympic athletes have no good reasons to fall into a special class of citizen that avoids taxes. They are pampered and well taken care of. And that pampering doesn't come cheap.

I shouldn't have to pay taxes because I love jazz. How about that? Jazz lovers should be a protected class.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:13 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post

He's right, troops stationed overseas pay state income taxes (if your state has them) just like anyone else.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Bullets aren't free.

If Uncle Sammy is to kill hundreds of thousands of folks going about their business we need $ to do so.

So those soldiers should consider it a job investment when they kick up to The Crown.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:22 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I won a $50 prize at the local fair. Can i get a tax break?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I won a $50 prize at the local fair. Can i get a tax break?
Ask the IRS.

While you're at it ask them what the word "depreciation" means. I've been trying to get a definitive answer on that one for months.

The short answer truly is whatever the IRS says.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:03 PM

903 posts, read 583,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Olympic athletes have no good reasons to fall into a special class of citizen that avoids taxes. They are pampered and well taken care of. And that pampering doesn't come cheap.

I shouldn't have to pay taxes because I love jazz. How about that? Jazz lovers should be a protected class.
If you make Jazz your business, you could in fact deduct Jazz related expenses. If Olympians have to pay taxes, then any expenses they or their families paid over the umpteen years should be able to be written off first. Corp. sponsors already get to do that.

And many of them aren't pampered. Many of them have regular jobs and get up really early to work-out or stay up late or both.

cd :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies