Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 07:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Just caught that she claims she was offered a position in 2013. 2013? It is now 2016, folks. Something odd going on here.
Maybe she thought nothing of it and went on with her life but couldn't get a job, got bent, and decided to file a lawsuit while the statute of limitations (if any apply) still allowed it.

With that said, this is tricky because if she told the interviewers of this religious restriction, she could argue that they made their decision based on her religious beliefs. And the interviewers couldn't legally ask about her religious restrictions.

[don't shoot the messenger!]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 08-13-2016 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I'm waiting for the muslim that applies for a job in a deli and the first day on the job says that they don't touch ham and pork products and demands that it be removed from the display frig.
That's already happened with Muslims who took cashier jobs at Target, Wegman's and Costco.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Employers have been making reasonable accommodations for religion for 50 years.

Some Jews need to leave work early on Friday to be home before sunset. This can be as early as 3-3:30 in the winter, dependent upon the commute. I've never encountered a Jewish person making such a request being unwilling to come in early and working through lunch- whatever it takes.

Some Jews and Seventh Day Adventists decline to work on the Sabbath. .

Most Mormons decline to work on Sunday's.

Then there are high holy days of assorted religions.

Sheriff's Department will have to demonstrate the such an accommodation would create a serious hardship.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Employers have been making reasonable accommodations for religion for 50 years.

Some Jews need to leave work early on Friday to be home before sunset. This can be as early as 3-3:30 in the winter, dependent upon the commute. I've never encountered a Jewish person making such a request being unwilling to come in early and working through lunch- whatever it takes.

Some Jews and Seventh Day Adventists decline to work on the Sabbath. .

Most Mormons decline to work on Sunday's.

Then there are high holy days of assorted religions.

Sheriff's Department will have to demonstrate the such an accommodation would create a serious hardship.
The job called for being on call 24/7. Did she mention Her needs when submitting the application or during interview? Sounds like she never mentioned and waited until after the job was offered.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I suspect that she was a plant by some trial attorney. Maybe they figure on a quick out of court settlement in the $50,000.00 range?

What's next? Suing the city of Dallas for not having an "eruv?"
We have them. :-)

Old 08-14-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Now explain to all the non-Jews in this thread what a "eruv" is. As most of them are going does that mean.
As far as an eruv goes, and someone going to work, does it matter if an area has an eruv?

Old 08-14-2016, 01:58 AM

The Dallas County Sheriff's Department Facebook page has a statement on August 12. They explain the job, why it would not be possible for her to fulfill it and that she did indeed only inform them of the Sabbath issue afterwards. Important read regarding this issue.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No sympathies from me.

This lady for some reason failed to reveal the need for accommodation during the interview, but after the fact threatens them with a lawsuit when the department rightfully took issue with it.

Move on lady.

Jewish woman who asked to end workweek early for Sabbath says sheriff's office yanked job offer | Dallas Morning News
This woman should move to Jewish influence parts of the country, such as NYC which allows time off for religious affairs.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Now explain to all the non-Jews in this thread what a "eruv" is. As most of them are going does that mean.
They can Google it.

Quote:
I've numbered them. (1) Fly Business Class or higher and one can do whatever they want in the VIP area that is available in every airport in the US. I enjoy them for the ability to take a private shower between flights.

(2) Its 5 times a day. First before one goes to work, next during mid-morning 15 minute break, next during lunch, next during mid-afternoon 15 minute break, next at night. No problems with accommodations. Yet no one complains about the 20 breaks a smoker takes every single day.
I work in I.T. and most of my coworkers are Indians. Most of the Indians are Hindus and I'm not very familiar with their holy days though I know Diwali occurs near the end of the year since my company actually celebrates it. Some of the Indians are Muslims. Some of my non-Indian coworkers are also Muslims though there are a handful of Christians, Buddhists, Eastern/Russian Orthodox, etc.

The Muslims leave for several hours every Friday to go to prayers. We all know these three men are totally unavailable for three hours in the middle of the day every Friday and nobody seems to have an issue with it.

I have always come in early so I can leave early and I do this every day so getting home before sunset on a Friday has never been a problem.

Some of the Christians take time off for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday and nobody says boo.

As for me, I vape and we are required to vape outdoors just like smokers are required to smoke outdoors. Nobody cares, because I get my work done.

The takeaway here is: Nobody cares because everybody is getting their work done. Butts in seats does not necessarily equal efficiency or productivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
As far as an eruv goes, and someone going to work, does it matter if an area has an eruv?
What Is an Eruv? - Mitzvahs & Traditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This woman should move to Jewish influence parts of the country, such as NYC which allows time off for religious affairs.
Dallas has a significant Jewish population. It's not on par with New York or LA, but still. Additionally, public and private sector organizations by federal law DO allow for time off for religious affairs but some organizations are open 24-7-365 and require staffing 24-7-365. That means that Christians will sometimes work on Christmas/Easter/Good Friday and sometimes Jewish people will be called upon to work on the Sabbath, Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, etc. Organizations are not required to grant every request for religious accomodation as some may impose more than a minimal burden on the organization's operations.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/w...ommodation.cfm

Old 08-14-2016, 08:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
The more I learn about religion, the happier I am to be an Atheist, Religion is the greatest con job ever pulled on the human race.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies