Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 AM

191 posts, read 230,686 times

Advertisements

I see liberals/leftists frequently harping on "the progress that has been made" and "progress" in general, but I just don't see it, let's go down the list.....

Economy - worse than ever under Obama (unless you've been living under a rock or are rich), survey after survey coming out that average American doesn't even have $1000 saved for an emergency. Lots of low-paying McJobs everywhere, shortage of good jobs. Layoffs a common occurrence, etc.

Obamacare - how nice, now the government gets to put a gun to your head and FORCE you to give your hard-earned money over to big insurance/Wall Street/crony capitalists . Has also negatively affected the economy, as companies cut hours down to 30 hrs/week or less to avoid paying. The only people I can think of who actually "benefit" from this are the usual loser types, welfare recipients, druggies, etc.

Taxes - keep going up, but according to the left this is somehow a "good" thing? Only reason I can think of for ANYONE being "pro" tax is if you are a loser/welfare type or somehow on the "receiving end" of said taxes.

LGBTQ - something which only pertains to like 1-2% of the population, yet the media seems to make this a "central" issue and shoves it in our face at every opportunity. They really push this one hard for some strange reason.

Gay marriage - another non issue that affects only like 1% of the population, who cares honestly?

Immigration and refugees - leftists seem to fall over themselves defending illegal immigration, but this doesn't even make sense if you think about it logically..... how can you whine about "slavery" $8/hr McJobs and at the same time be pro-immigration? The mental gymnastics it must take to not connect the dots between increased immigration and lower wages

Liberals also claim to be "for" women's rights, and in the same sentence say they are in favor of Muslim immigration. Another misnomer that makes no sense, as Muslim areas are not particularly well known for women's rights.

Government - some of the left's core strategies are "make the government bigger to tax the rich" or "make the government bigger so there is more regulation" but these strategies are flawed because the rich own the government.... so making it "bigger" merely gives them more power and tools to use. Those same regulations get used by the rich to prevent competition from smaller players/fish, and so on. And the tax hikes? The customers end up paying for that via higher prices on products. I've never heard of a "big" government that wasn't also corrupt/bought off somehow.

And those are just a *few* examples/categories....

What "progress" are leftists talking about?? I just don't see it, by all accounts everything is WORSE than before..... the things that actually MATTER especially (such as the economy).

Anyone else see this giant disconnect between reality and the mythical "progress" touted by the left??

Are these people delusional? Or do they honestly believe that our current state of affairs (abysmal) is somehow "progress"?

Discuss.

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 08-13-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 02:31 PM

27,157 posts, read 15,330,669 times
This is why I refer to them as "regressives".

Progress to them is the agenda not good nor necessarily sound ideas based on the duties of our government as expressed by our Constitution but rather usually outside of that as we have seen.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:46 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I think it is funny how Hillary does the dance around when she is trying to make a point at how much better off we will all be under her than Obama? She is still citing Bush for screwing things up yet Obama has had 7 plus years to get it right.

It all doesn't make any sense except as a method to distract us from the real problems. You are right OP when it comes to gay marriage who cares. I have gay friends and I attended their marriage and the world didn't fall down.
The Dems push so hard for illegal immigrants and refugees from countries that hate us now that is a real problem that could actually and has gotten people killed. It is rare for a gay guy to lash out and go on a shooting spree but a gay muslim can wreak havoc like that idiot did in Orlando.

I guess we can call Liberals the eternal optimists ,either that or they are all delusional and don't want to admit it.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:55 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
This is why I refer to them as "regressives".
There's a Wikipedia entry for that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regressive_left

Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
Discuss.
I agree that you are confused.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:58 PM

62,975 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
I see liberals/leftists frequently harping on "the progress that has been made" and "progress" in general, but I just don't see it, let's go down the list.....

Economy - worse than ever under Obama (unless you've been living under a rock or are rich), survey after survey coming out that average American doesn't even have $1000 saved for an emergency. Lots of low-paying McJobs everywhere, shortage of good jobs. Layoffs a common occurrence, etc.

Obamacare - how nice, now the government gets to put a gun to your head and FORCE you to give your hard-earned money over to big insurance/Wall Street/crony capitalists . Has also negatively affected the economy, as companies cut hours down to 30 hrs/week or less to avoid paying. The only people I can think of who actually "benefit" from this are the usual loser types, welfare recipients, druggies, etc.

Taxes - keep going up, but according to the left this is somehow a "good" thing? Only reason I can think of for ANYONE being "pro" tax is if you are a loser/welfare type or somehow on the "receiving end" of said taxes.

LGBTQ - something which only pertains to like 1-2% of the population, yet the media seems to make this a "central" issue and shoves it in our face at every opportunity. They really push this one hard for some strange reason.

Gay marriage - another non issue that affects only like 1% of the population, who cares honestly?

Immigration and refugees - leftists seem to fall over themselves defending illegal immigration, but this doesn't even make sense if you think about it logically..... how can you whine about "slavery" $8/hr McJobs and at the same time be pro-immigration? The mental gymnastics it must take to not connect the dots between increased immigration and lower wages

Liberals also claim to be "for" women's rights, and in the same sentence say they are in favor of Muslim immigration. Another misnomer that makes no sense, as Muslim areas are not particularly well known for women's rights.

Government - some of the left's core strategies are "make the government bigger to tax the rich" or "make the government bigger so there is more regulation" but these strategies are flawed because the rich own the government.... so making it "bigger" merely gives them more power and tools to use. Those same regulations get used by the rich to prevent competition from smaller players/fish, and so on. And the tax hikes? The customers end up paying for that via higher prices on products. I've never heard of a "big" government that wasn't also corrupt/bought off somehow.

And those are just a *few* examples/categories....

What "progress" are leftists talking about?? I just don't see it, by all accounts everything is WORSE than before..... the things that actually MATTER especially (such as the economy).

Anyone else see this giant disconnect between reality and the mythical "progress" touted by the left??

Are these people delusional? Or do they honestly believe that our current state of affairs (abysmal) is somehow "progress"?

Discuss.

Lefty liberals are such hypocrites and yes they are totally delusional but they call it progress.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:

No, it was 'worst' when Bush handed the keys to Obama - remember, when it was hemorrhaging 800,000+ jobs/month?

Funny how the economy is a disaster because of Obama... and yet Republicans are always falling all over themselves to take credit for good economic news.

Mitch McConnell says economic uptick coincides with expectation of GOP Senate takeover | PolitiFact
Speaker Ryan: Obama doesn't deserve credit for economy | TheHill

You conservatives should at least try to get your stories straight.

Quote:
A Republican think tank in the 1990s touts a health insurance mandate, and conservatives everywhere - from Bob Dole to Newt Gingrich - praise it as a wondrous harnessing of the free market.

From none other than Forbes:
How the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative Think Tank, Promoted the Individual Mandate

A Democratic President comes along and implements it? Suddenly it's Karl Marx incarnate.

Quote:
Yeah, those tax cuts under Bush sure paid off economically....

Quote:
So we shouldn't care about discrimination against minorities? I take it that's what you think conservatism stands for.

Funny, but it was Republicans who won the 2004 election railing against the threat of gays marrying - remember how that was going to 'destroy families' and 'destroy marriage'?

Quote:
Only people who care about liberty - but thanks for making it clear that if oppression doesn't affect you directly, then you couldn't give a rat's ass about who is being oppressed. Conservatism!

Quote:
Actually, this administration has deported more undocumented immigrants than any Republican administration ever did.

High rate of deportations continue under Obama despite Latino disapproval | Pew Research Center

Quote:
How is the law in Saudi Arabia even remotely relevant to how Muslims in America behave? It's not. I bet you hate the Khans, too, don't you?

Quote:
Remember who President (and a Republican Senate and a Republican House) passed the biggest expansion of Medicare in history, Plan D? George W. Bush, that's who.

Republicans always prattle on about government - but the federal workforce and deficit exploded under Reagan, and decreased under Clinton.

Too bad you clowns can't actually make your dogma mesh with reality.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:49 PM

1,050 posts, read 506,179 times
Just a minute while I put on my hip waders......

Quote:
"Progress"? Most respectable lefties recognize that we are slipping into monopoly capitalism, fascism, and degenerate culture that reflects the degeneration of the economic conditions. But yes, let's go down your "list".

Quote:
Economy
The economy has been quite good for corporations. The larger the corporation, the better it has fared since B.Clinton. The people, OTOH, have been stuck in a lousy economic situation in which many have to work 2 or 3 low-paying jobs to maintain their lifestyle. Jobs requiring college degrees are more scarce. Young people are no longer looking forward to a better standard of living then their parents had. So, "progress"? Wrong. The left doesn't see it as "progress".

Quote:
"Put a gun to your head"? Please. Skip the theatrical exaggerations. Obamacare solved some problems and created some problems. It still isn't the answer to the problem. But while the left may defend it as "progress" in many ways, the left is actually demanding and pushing for national healthcare.

Quote:
Taxes - keep going up, but according to the left this is somehow a "good" thing?
Your taxes are historically low incase you haven't actually reviewed the brackets and changes over the years. In your lifetime the top bracket was 70%. It's down to 39.6% now and that's only if your taxable income is over $464,850 (married filing jointly). Yours have come down from a top bracket of 28% to 25%. So what in the hell are you talking about? There are too many tightwads out there who don't want to pay taxes. They want the benefits but they want to ride on the taxes paid by others.

Quote:
You object to fairness and equal rights for a minority of people when it costs you nothing? I thought you just opposed paying taxes. What do you have against LGBTQ people? I have opinions but I keep them to myself.

Quote:
Gays. Again, you object to fairness and equal rights even though it costs you nothing. Why?
Do I really have to spell it out for you? Can't you think it through for yourself and see that the publicity is necessary?

Quote:
Immigration and refugees - leftists seem to fall over themselves defending illegal immigration
Well now, that's a strait-forward . . .ummmm . . ."fabrication". Everyone I know of... ESPECIALLY leftists, oppose illegal immigration. But we recognize nuances indicating a need for something other than a black-and-white blanket edict. We recognize distinctions. We recognize special cases. We recognize that the subject is complex.

Quote:
Liberals also claim to be "for" women's rights, and in the same sentence say they are in favor of Muslim immigration.
"Leftists" are not "liberals". That comes as a surprise to most righties. It's that nuance handicap thing.
You are apparently listening to diverse media sources and mixing them all together as being the same thing: "a liberal". There are people, ... liberal, independent, libertarian, confused, and unconfused ... holding different views on different things. You seem to want to label them all as one homogenous entity of "I see liberals..." And again, women's rights? The left sees distinctions... various rights, various injustices, different issues. You see "women's rights". Muslim immigration? That's a specific issue. Stop lumping things together just for the purpose of giving yourself an opportunity to gripe. Your gripe is not valid.

Quote:
Another misnomer that makes no sense, as Muslim areas are not particularly well known for women's rights.
whatever

Quote:
That's because Reagan is still echoing in your brain. The question is not the "size" of government, but who it serves. Nobody wants to "make the government bigger". Many do want government to stop favoring the biggest corporations and start working for the people.... or at least start working on something.

Quote:
I don't see your "progress touted by the left".

Quote:
Are these people delusional?
Well, it looks to me like you harbor a few delusions.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:00 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,224,771 times
If you think about how much government we have vs 200 years ago, you can see clearly how ridiculous it is. And, dont give me crap about slavery and womens rights, social mores have changed.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:15 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Two countries, two entirely different views of what constitutes progress. Wouldn't be a problem.. except for the fact that both are handcuffed to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies