Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

I was going through birth dates in my family tree, and making corrections to my tree in Ancestry.com. I think in the beginning I was only entering the year of birth, and now I'm making sure I put in the month and day when I have a record to prove it. (I was also collecting repeated/coincidental birthdays, which mentioned in another thread).

What I've noticed is that many records of births on Familysearch are exactly one year off, usually one year after the actual birth date. I'm talking at least 25-30 birth records. At first I dismissed it, thinking maybe Familysearch recorded a baptism as a birth, or maybe there was a data entry error. But 25+ cases, consistently being one year off?

In many of these cases, I have alternative records, from other websites, actual historical documents, newspaper announcements, tombstone inscriptions, and death certificates that give the correct birth date, but the one on Familysearh would make the person exactly one year younger. If it makes any difference, most of these births were in PA and NJ. I wonder if it's possible that some computer bug affected the info somewhere between the source of the records and Familysearch?

Typical example: Ida Rose H---- was born April 3 1893 according to church christening records, her father's naturalization papers, and her marriage record, but the record on Familysearch from "Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950" says April 4 1894.

Anyone else encounter this? What do you think the explanation is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:41 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Most of these errors that I have seen are the result of FS ( and others) taking a person's AGE shown on a Census listing , and extrapolating from that what YEAR they were born in. Such that people with birthdates after the Census was taken are typically 1 year behind, vs. Census year to birth year math. When doing searchs, I always do +/- 1 year.

Your example sounds to me more like a handwriting/transcription error.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default Federal Census

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I was going through birth dates in my family tree, and making corrections to my tree in Ancestry.com. I think in the beginning I was only entering the year of birth, and now I'm making sure I put in the month and day when I have a record to prove it. (I was also collecting repeated/coincidental birthdays, which mentioned in another thread).

What I've noticed is that many records of births on Familysearch are exactly one year off, usually one year after the actual birth date. I'm talking at least 25-30 birth records. At first I dismissed it, thinking maybe Familysearch recorded a baptism as a birth, or maybe there was a data entry error. But 25+ cases, consistently being one year off?

In many of these cases, I have alternative records, from other websites, actual historical documents, newspaper announcements, tombstone inscriptions, and death certificates that give the correct birth date, but the one on Familysearh would make the person exactly one year younger. If it makes any difference, most of these births were in PA and NJ. I wonder if it's possible that some computer bug affected the info somewhere between the source of the records and Familysearch?

Typical example: Ida Rose H---- was born April 3 1893 according to church christening records, her father's naturalization papers, and her marriage record, but the record on Familysearch from "Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950" says April 4 1894.

Anyone else encounter this? What do you think the explanation is?
I note that an individual's birth date during a year is generally rounded up by the census taker. So actually born in April 1863 is noted 1864. I report all the birth date years I find which can vary between census. So 4/1863, 1864. Generally the death certificate or burial information will provide the actual birth day/month/ year.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I think the quality of the Familysearch website has gone downhill and I'm not sure why. I remember when I first started doing genealogy research on my family about three years ago, the results you'd get were REALLY good and deep. Now it seems like it's a lot more like ancestry.com where your search results give you a ton of bad stuff and you hope you can find the needle of good info in the haystack of junk results.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I think the quality of the Familysearch website has gone downhill and I'm not sure why. I remember when I first started doing genealogy research on my family about three years ago, the results you'd get were REALLY good and deep. Now it seems like it's a lot more like ancestry.com where your search results give you a ton of bad stuff and you hope you can find the needle of good info in the haystack of junk results.
Their search results are favoring Census records now in the way that ancestry does. I liked the older version better, too, but am glad familysearch has added a lot of records, has more images than they used to, and they do make it easy to search by collection. Just page down on the search page for browse by collection names. Put in words and it will narrow your search. For instance, I type in "Massachusetts" for all my blessed Yankee ancestors and it pulls up collections that include that word in the title. Keep in mind alternatives like "New England" or "Puritan" or whomever you're researching.

Someone posted a book search section they have which is really good. Which is a much better alternative to Google books, since even many old books are shown in snippet form only. I did find one or two books on familysearch that link to another site involving some sort of membership, and backed right out of that. Almost all the searches brought up freely available books, either that they have the rights to or they're pre-1923 and so are in the public domain.

Here's familysearch's book page: https://books.familysearch.org/

Here's their search by collection page: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy