Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:26 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not needed. I just want to get my products, pay, get my change as fast as possible.
And you do that with automation??? I am so sick and tired of dealing with companies like this. I just want to talk to a person and not a computer who keeps saying...I don't understand what you said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 04:36 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How about a smile and asking how your day is going. Can automation do that. I am so sick and tired of calling companies with automation. I just want to talk to a person.
I don't need that. Speed is what matters to me with checkout.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:37 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,421 times
Quote:
And you do that with automation??? I am so sick and tired of dealing with companies like this. I just want to talk to a person and not a computer who keeps saying...I don't understand what you said
I havent had that problem in years. Either I'm ennunciating better or technology has been improving.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:44 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingComment View Post
You only need look to history to see that the claim we will be obsolete is just collectivist propaganda. They said the same thing about the industrialization era. Each time there was a new invention over the past which replaced the need to have a human being acting as such, everyone complained about the world being taken over by automation.

The fact is, with technology, new jobs open up for the replacement of another, this will not change and it will continue to be the norm. New innovations provide new opportunities, new ways for people to expand their thinking, and to follow new dreams and pursuits of innovation.

Now granted, this may mean that some jobs may no longer require a human to do, but this merely means humans need to continue to learn, to progress and achieve new realms of understanding and achievement.

This can't happen when you have a society who refuses to adapt, refuses to learn, refuses to look for new realms of progress and innovation. Success can not be achieved in a society that rewards collective laziness at the expense of the individuals effort. The fact is, if you foster a society that is more concerned about "wealth redistribution" and attempting to force equality, all you will end up with is the lowest common denominator of skills and achievement. That is, you will be replaced by automation and machinery because you are not of any value past that of what a machine can achieve.

Make no mistake, it is not technology that turns a person into an obsolete tool, it is that persons lack of desire to achieve being more than such.

So get busy being innovative and adapting, or find a hole and lay down in it. /shrug
All evidence would indicate that you are the one making a mistake. What is coming will be nothing what has happened before. Insisting that past patterns will never change is no way to adapt to the future.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:02 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Actually, I am of a knowledge and skill level to understand what is coming and realize how adaption is quite easily achieved.

Those who fear this are those who are afraid of change because they choose not to adapt.

Like I said, numerous opportunities exist with changing technology, but if one is a self defeatist or lacks the desire and common sense in the development of new skills, well... they will be worthless to the future as technology improves.

Case in point, a generation of "educated" youth whose education is poorly equipped to adapt to future technologies. That is, a generation of skill sets worthless to any practical application to the changing environment.

By the way, it is the "I Can's" who create and foster a successful future while the "I Can'ts" enslave the world and promote disparity.

Hmmm sounds like our political elite. They keep telling us we can't unless we vote for them.
I tend to agree with your post, however the danger is jumping to change before the bugs are worked out or simply because it is fashionable.
Case in point, those electric cars of the late 70's. Sometimes its better to stand back and wait a little while before jumping on the band wagon.
The corporation I work for has tried automated systems, from packing to raw material delivery. By automated I mean robots. Not once but 3 separate times in the last 30 years. All have pretty much failed. We have improved packing systems reliability via servo drives and such. Still need good human operators.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:02 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
This thread reminds me of Kurt Vonneguts novel Player Piano.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Agreed, but that is what the free market is for. Problem is when government steps in and throws money at an idea that isn't currently viable as you just explained with electric cars (or many alternate energies). Let the free market and its innovation to cost efficient and practical solutions and the rest takes care of itself.

Then again NASA was what paved the way in so many areas of technology. Silicon valley is littered with government funding. Here is just one of many articles.

How the US Government Makes Silicon Valley Innovation Possible - Nextgov.com

Old 08-14-2016, 10:00 AM

Oh an I forget to mention the internet we post on was in fact begun by government funded projects.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:

I get out faster w self serve, yes.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:49 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
[/b]

The corporation I work for has tried automated systems, from packing to raw material delivery. By automated I mean robots. Not once but 3 separate times in the last 30 years. All have pretty much failed. We have improved packing systems reliability via servo drives and such. Still need good human operators.

Sounds like a dumb corp. I've been with several corps whose subsidiaries did this same automation with superb results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies