Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,376,675 times

Advertisements

As a parent I find it utterly stunning and out of my ability to comprehend how someone just leaves a child, THEIR OWN child in a car and goes about their day?!?!

I am constantly aware of my kid when I am driving, I really can't fathom getting out of the car and leaving him there. My first thought after parking the car would about him.

As stunning and incomprehensible as these stories are what is almost as incomprehensible to me is that there are people who will make excuses for this behavior on forums like this!!

It's called being a parent!!!
Your children are considered dependents for a REASON!. It's because they are UTTERLY and COMPLETELY dependent on their parents or caregivers to meet their every need, the most important of which is survival.

It's amazing that we have adults who are so narcissistic and utterly lacking in any sense of responsibility for their actions that they can find excuses for this type of thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
There is no point in continuing to interact with someone who is determined to place the blame for these hot-car deaths anywhere but where it belongs. This is why these children keep dying. Parents excuse their actions because it's too early, they're busy, there's an airbag, they were "distracted" (as if that is an acceptable excuse), they "forgot" (What, forgot they're parents? What decent parent forgets a child?}

It's always someone else's fault, so there are never any consequences. No consequences, no solution. The problem will solve itself when the parents who are too lazy to be parents realize there will be consequences that affect them unless they do what parents in generations before did: suck it up, be adults, and do their job, even it it's early, even if they're "busy", even if they have a whole string of very important texts to read on their electronic distractions. All it takes is the habit of always checking the back seat, but it's just too much trouble to put in the minimal amount of effort it would take to develop that habit or make any effort to think. It's so much easier to blame someone or something else.
Thank you for bringing sanity to this discussion. It is utterly amazing to me that the words you wrote even NEED to be said, that we are having this argument, that people would make excuses for this.
I guess that is how it happens so often though. Too many "adults" running around who never grew up.
A parents job number one is the welfare of their children!! The car, the errands, the phone, the damn job, EVERYTHING else is distant second.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,396,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
As a parent I find it utterly stunning and out of my ability to comprehend how someone just leaves a child, THEIR OWN child in a car and goes about their day?!?!
They were supposed to drop the kid off at day care. So when they got to work their car was supposed to be empty. And it was 6:15 in the morning. They are going to have to live with this for the rest of their lives.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,913,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thats how braindead the masses are now!!!!!!!!

TOTALLY UNREAL AND SAD
Now?

Crap like has been happening since driving became common. Maybe it would get a paragraph buried in a local newspaper.

The Internet and social media just makes us all more aware when it happens, now.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
They were supposed to drop the kid off at day care. So when they got to work their car was supposed to be empty. And it was 6:15 in the morning. They are going to have to live with this for the rest of their lives.
How do you forget that you dropped your kid off and work an entire shift without remembering?
I just can't begin to fathom that.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
How do you forget that you dropped your kid off and work an entire shift without remembering?
I just can't begin to fathom that.
How awake are you at 6:15 in the morning? I had a friend she lost something important to her. I watched her do it. So I was going to tease her about it. She said she lost it somewhere else. Was shocked when I handed it to her. When he got to work he would've thought he had dropped his kid off at daycare. No need to check the back seat. No need to think about it. Put the kid in the front seat and he remembers. But with an airbag you can't do that.

Men single task. Women double task. A woman would've remembered and checked. A man not so much. Dead kid.

When you put the kid in the back seat they will get forgotten. That is the cost of having airbags.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,949,641 times
It is the fact that no one can ever imagine leaving their own child in a car that is the reason this happens. You do not take precautions to prevent the "impossible".

Old 08-15-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is the fact that no one can ever imagine leaving their own child in a car that is the reason this happens. You do not take precautions to prevent the "impossible".
Quote:
Habits I was a bus driver. The bus I drove had a back door. If you opened it that would set the brakes. Then if you close it the brakes come off. I set up the habit of feeling if the bus was moving after I shut the doors when reaching through the window upon leaving the bus when fueling it. I also had worked out what to do if it moved. The day it moved on me I got it stopped in about 6 inches and with my heart pounding I went and set the parking brake.

The other employee that took over after I was done with that job had the bus crash into the parked semis when he made the same mistake I did. Airbags kill kids in the front seat when they go off and in the back seat when they get forgotten in the heat.
It is possible. It may be unthinkable. but...

Old 08-15-2016, 07:38 PM

26,882 posts, read 27,075,123 times
Quote:
This is not that uncommon, unfortunately.

Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2016: 27
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2015: 24
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 1998-present: 688
Fact Sheet - Heatstroke Deaths of Children in Vehicles

Old 08-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
How awake are you at 6:15 in the morning? I had a friend she lost something important to her. I watched her do it. So I was going to tease her about it. She said she lost it somewhere else. Was shocked when I handed it to her. When he got to work he would've thought he had dropped his kid off at daycare. No need to check the back seat.

So the guy doesn't think about his kid the whole day? He'd be on my mind, I'd be thinking about whether he was happy, sad, smiling, upset, whatever mood he was in. I'd remember dropping him off at the day care.
It wouldn't be just "checking the back seat" when I got there, I'd be aware of him, I’d be looking in the mirror making sure their head is propped up ok, they are not playing with the buckle or I'd simply be curious to see what they are doing during the ride.

Really can't fathom having my child in the car and walking off without him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies