Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Then you know it is a SUBURB. And not a fancy one at that. I went into some straight up ghettos in that area. That isn't hip downtown living. And rents there for one bedrooms were averaging $850 a month. Most places I went to that looked CHEAP were even more than that.
Baymeadows is an area that people want to live due to proximity to their job thus making it a more desirable area. More desirable area = higher rent.

The vast majority of JAX is a suburb with the exception of downtown, but there are also office complexes and office buildings, even some manufacturing in those areas. This is called urban sprawl. In Jax most people don't live, work, or even hang out downtown.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:55 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,118,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I LIVED in riverside! My sister and cousin still live in riverside. Cousin $1500 a month for a 3 BR house. Sister $700 for a two BR duplex. If you are talking about the avondale area of riverside, you know ON the river then the rent is higher, my other sister had a house over there and it was in the million dollar range. Murray hill, my nephew rents a house there now 2 BR under $1000.

I grew up in Jax, I think I know a little more about the area than someone that was just looking around and didn't know were to look for affordable housing.
You clearly haven't lived there in a very long time! AVERAGE rents in Jax and nearly all metros are nearly $1,000 a month. And you want to use some anecdotal reasoning to deny it? You want to actually claim that rents in the hippest part of that city are less than $1000 a month when I have shown you numerous proofs showing that average rents in the Jax metro are almost $1,000?

If your family does rent that cheap in those areas, they have STEALS. Because no one else is getting those prices.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Baymeadows is an area that people want to live due to proximity to their job thus making it a more desirable area. More desirable area = higher rent.

The vast majority of JAX is a suburb with the exception of downtown, but there are also office complexes and office buildings, even some manufacturing in those areas. This is called urban sprawl. In Jax most people don't live, work, or even hang out downtown.
Baymeadows is a middle class suburb. It is not "desirable" in any sense of the word unless you desire middle class suburban living. It's not close to the beaches, urbanity, or wealth or bars, clubs, festivals, weekly art shows, etc. Like I said there are countless places up in there that are straight ghetto.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Could somebody get Hillary some taking points on this quickly?!?

If government could just manage the rent prices everywhere like they did with airline tickets in the 1970's? Then prices would be much lower

Last edited by johnsonkk; 08-18-2016 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Because someone shouldn't have to pay a thousand dollars a month for a one bedroom apartment in a bad area or suburb of a city that isn't NYC, DC, San Fran, or Boston. When cities like Jacksonville and Milwaukee have average 1-bedroom costs approaching $1000 a month we have a problem that needs to be addressed.

It also doesn't matter about absolute cost but that rent skyrockets far more than incomes. And it is skyrocketing because of lack of SUPPLY!

I was very clear my question wasn't personal and designed to provoke thought. Please stop it.

Different markets demand different rental prices. If someone is so unhappy with the rental prices in their area they can move, in the USA people have freedom to move wherever they want so long as they can afford it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-18-2016 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply

Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
There is a bell curve distribution of employability. Currently the bottom of the curve doesn't have a place in the workforce. More demand for labor means there is a place for them in the workforce. More education will not change that there isn't room for everyone in the workforce. Blaming the bottom of employability for something they don't have control over is wrong. Demand for labor is off. Those less able to compete are out of the workforce.

Unemployment rate Vs Gini Co.

The magic wand is income/wealth distribution. We have optimized the economy to grow the top at the expense of the bottom/middle for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMoK48QGL8

Funny to watch.

A lot of jobs have gone out of the country. It isn't the fault of the people that lost those jobs that their jobs were outsourced.
Wealth redistribution is just another way of saying take something from someone and giving it to someone who had done nothing to earn it.

Wealth redistribution is also known by another word, confiscation.

People's jobs got outsourced because the same people complaining about high rental prices and low wages are the same people who voted for the people that decided to make it beneficial for companies to outsource.

You asked for it, now you have it because they want everything cheap except their wages. High wages and inexpensive goods and services are incompatible.

When wealth is redistributed expect housing to follow suit. All it means is that the least expense will go into hiusing so you might pay $500 a month for example but youll also get what you pay for.

The problem with that is not wanting to pay for any of it but expecting to use the money taken from others and given to you.

And when those being taken from get tired of it and stop by simply not making it anymore, then what?

Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Could somebody get Hillary some taking points on this quickly?!?

If government could just manage the rent prices everywhere like they did with airline tickets in the 1970's? Then prices would be much lower
I saw what you did.

Hilary was contacted by the article I posted and she put forth her vague plan. She still fails to put rental prices as one of her campaign priorities.

I'm not saying the government should manage it, but if the private market is failing the working classss as it so often does, the government needs to be more involved. If like the funding for multi-family building to be reinstated. That would be a good start. Anyone can clearly see the decline in multi-family construction around 1990 and the sub sequent skyrocketing in rental costs after those cuts took effect.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 PM

The working classes?

Not everyone seems to have a problem with rental prices, just those not making enough money and if you are satisfied with a low wage job then be satisfied with low quality housing ...

Or...

Improve your condition. Reducing the condition of others isn't going to help you get the result you want.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
I'm willing to pay more taxes. Or perhaps the richest 1% who are buying up all the cheap properties to rent them out at crazy high prices can pay more.

Rents in SUBURBS ARE CRAZY. Rents in the "middle of the city" are beyond crazy. No one here is proposing cheap living downtown, but more does need to be built in the suburbs.

Also, by having a duel income you and your spouse were considerably better off than most today. Very few under 35s are married today relative to the past so we don't have the ease that two incomes provide.
I'm glad you are willing to pay those taxes, but we're not. You do realize how the whole process of renting out places work right? I'll use our old place as an example. We paid 175K, our mortgage was about 1176, tack on the 10-20% in property manager fees (and this is if taxes and insurance for the place didn't go up) we would had to rent our house out for between 1300-1425 just to have those basics covered. Thank GOD we sold the place.
No we were not in a better place then. He worked 2 jobs at 52+ hours a week and I worked 46+ (which did not include the 2 hr round trip commute). We just made sure our priorities were in place. Car payments, rent, power, water, food and gas. We did not have cable, I had a cell phone for emergencies only because anything before 9 you paid for and a basic home phone line.

Last edited by ladybug07; 08-18-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Rent prices across our whole vast country have now reach a point of utter and complete ABSURDITY!

Rents are too high, but candidates duck the issue (Opinion) - CNN.com

For a 1 bedroom apartment in almost every city in America you can expect to pay $1,000 or more a month.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2016/07/...ort-july-2016/

Why is this happening??? Because no one is building multi-family housing units!

Single-Family and Multifamily Starts: Long-Run Trends | Eye On Housing

Why is it that our population is double what it was in the 1970s, yet construction for apartments is 1/4th what it was in the 1970s and 1/3rd what it was in the 1980s??? And our population continues to grow millions every year! Where the hell is everyone supposed to live without apartments being built?

We need to start screaming to politicians about this. Our country is on the verge of a homeless crisis unlike anything we have ever experienced because there is literally no where for an average income person to live.

Our politicians need to START TALKING ABOUT THIS! I have yet to even hear this conversation come up in their speeches. It is almost as if they are oblivious to it.
What you really need to do is buy some rental property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies