Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 06:04 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Politicians don't have intelligent solutions for it. Most of them want "rent control."

My solution would be :

a) Stop giving tax breaks for 2nd, 3rd houses. If anything, penalize people who own more than 1 home. This will create a disincentive for hordeing of housing units.

b) Replace property taxes (i.e. land and building value) with taxes on land values. This will create incentives for property improvement and reduce the market value of undeveloped land.
....... I actually like both of those ideas. I don't even know what side of the political isle they are on but I would vote for both of them.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:06 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
So your answer for the working classes is to live on the street.
Perhaps the answer is suitcases and bus tickets so people can move to places they can afford.

How about this? It looks like a nice rental.

3 Bedroom, 2 Bath. 1324 square feet. $795/month.

2209 1st St E, Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 | Zillow

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-19-2016 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 PM

What an extremely honorable thing for him to do. There are still good people in the world.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Perhaps the answer is suitcases and bus tickets so people can move to places they can afford.

Just wait, the excuses why that isn't good enough will flow.

Example:

Does it come with a high wage low effort job?
Are cars included?
House is ok but what about utilities?
Is mail delivered to the door or must I walk to the mailbox for my government checks?
No way, not without Internet and cable TV included!
Do I get mileage and per diem for the trip there?
Looks nice and clean, on what days do the maids come?
Seems sunny, the pool uses filtered water?

It never stops.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

From the link:

"This home is not available as a rental."

"Qualified candidates must be interested in home ownership though a lease to purchase program offered by Community Service Programs of West Alabama, Inc. "

"Income restricted property. "

Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
AND! Where would those people live if the government didn't provide that housing to them! Would you prefer them to live on the street? Those people have roofs and toilets because of our government providing it to them, and you ridicule it. Tell me!!!! What would you have these people do if not for their government housing????
haha I'm trying to prove a point to you. Where did I ridicule it? Also why would I ridicule a lifestyle that my husband has done since our oldest was born to support our family? Yes there are times I am critical about situations we have to go through because of it (like being under the same roof as my husband for only 15 weeks last year) but it provides for our family.
From what I have gathered from your posts you feel that you are entitled to the government providing affordable housing to you. You want the government to provide affordable house to you, join the military.

Others in this same post have proven to you that it is possible to pay less than 1K for rent at your location...even someone who is a local. But you have told them they didn't know what they were talking about.

Quote:
So this is the program that Reagan (HATE THAT PRESIDENT and I wasn't even alive yet to witness him) signed into law that crippled our multi-family housing starts.
You're saying you hate Reagan and that you are thankful you were not alive proves that you are young. I was alive and young during his presidency. He was very popular. Our country hit rock bottom. He proved that the government was TOO big and he did do things to limit its control which the government (in my opinion) is in that direction again. People prospered during his presidency and he is still known as one of the greats.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Just wait, the excuses why that isn't good enough will flow.

Example:

Does it come with a high wage low effort job?
Are cars included?
House is ok but what about utilities?
Is mail delivered to the door or must I walk to the mailbox for my government checks?
No way, not without Internet and cable TV included!
Do I get mileage and per diem for the trip there?
Looks nice and clean, on what days do the maids come?
Seems sunny, the pool uses filtered water?

It never stops.
MOD CUT/personal attack]

With that particular post all I would say is that I am SURE a job will just magically pop up for them in small town Alabama after they arrive from the bus stop with a suitcase. And does the person in question have a spouse? Hopefully a job is waiting for them ass well! Hopefully the person doesn't have chronic health problems either because in small down Southern living you sometimes have to drive across counties for medical care.

Or we can reform/expand this law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-In...ing_Tax_Credit

And provide affordable apartments to working class Americans all over the country. THAT is what needs to be done.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-19-2016 at 08:05 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 06:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is an easy solution. Take out a loan, buy some property and build some multi-family buildings. Then rent them at what you feel is an affordable rate. Be part of the solution. Instead of whining about your perception of a problem.
Like everyone can do this!! Maybe develop cities on the surface of the moon, and several other planets as well to alleviate the housing shortage.
Since Australia has very expensive housing costs and suffers from shortages, I think I'll go ahead and develop the entire Outback, and build thousands of affordable housing units there. Since it's so easy, I should be able to have renters move in by Sept 1.
Then I might go corner the Lunar Housing market. I could sell potential renters on awesome views of Earth!! This will be a bit trickier, so plan on Dec 1 move ins.
I'll make sure that I'll price them way above what most can afford-so I'll tell them to start their own business!
If someone complains that these units are too far from where most jobs are, I'll tell them to go ahead and build their own private jet and airport, and scold them for not being proactive enough!!
If someone is worried about lack of medical facilities, I'll merely inform them to be part of the solution and go to medical school and be their own doctor!!

Old 08-19-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
haha I'm trying to prove a point to you. Where did I ridicule it? Also why would I ridicule a lifestyle that my husband has done since our oldest was born to support our family? Yes there are times I am critical about situations we have to go through because of it (like being under the same roof as my husband for only 15 weeks last year) but it provides for our family.
From what I have gathered from your posts you feel that you are entitled to the government providing affordable housing to you. You want the government to provide affordable house to you, join the military.

Others in this same post have proven to you that it is possible to pay less than 1K for rent at your location...even someone who is a local. But you have told them they didn't know what they were talking about.

You're saying you hate Reagan and that you are thankful you were not alive proves that you are young. I was alive and young during his presidency. He was very popular. Our country hit rock bottom. He proved that the government was TOO big and he did do things to limit its control which the government (in my opinion) is in that direction again. People prospered during his presidency and he is still known as one of the greats.
Our rental market crisis began with REAGAN. I won't even get into all the other messes that have their roots in that man's presidency.

Single-Family and Multifamily Starts: Long-Run Trends | Eye On Housing

Read the chart and watch where multi-family housing starts plummet.

No one has proven anything. They post zillow and apartment.com listings which are straight up LIES. I'm having to barter their lies this whole month while apartment shopping. Believe me, I fell for those adds too. You go in and the actual prices are far different. So no, no one has proven anything except their own ability to fall for online advertisements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies