Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 02:13 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will never think of LBJ as some angel. That said, with Goldwater firmly against the Civil Rights Act, there would have been no reason to vote for Goldwater.

I think that anyone who would be against the Civil Rights Act, I see them as a threat. A threat against my own security. Actually, everyone's when you think about it.
Agree LBJ was no angel although he did work with the leaders of the Civil Rights movement to get first the CRA of 1964 passed. Then working together again, making principled compromises, to pass the Voting Rights Act of 1965. & then again to pass the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

He understood the opponents of these CRAs, let's face it, they were his fellow Southerners. He knew the racism & racial supremacy from the inside, after all, he was raised in that environment. If JFK had lived, he would have tried to accomplish the same. We'll never know.

Also agree that injustice anywhere or targeting anyone is a threat to justice everywhere & for all of us.

Ron & Rand Paul (& others) are not your friend or mine. Anyone who talks that 'I would've opposed the CRA of 1964' is not to be trusted as far as I'm concerned. The convoluted justifications are 'speaking with forked tongue' talk in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I will put this in simple terms. I can vote, I can live wherever I want. I can eat where I want. I basically have the same freedoms as anyone else in this country. I would not have had such before the CRA. The very fact that it was needed in the first place tells alot about the way things were.
Wholeheartedly agree with the bold!

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

James Madison, Federalist No. 51, February 8, 1788

Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 PM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
just imagine how 'great' our Society would be without an American Civil Rights movement.

Civil Rights are fine, the rest was crap.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:38 PM

73,023 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Some of us see a government body that infringes on natural liberties as a tyrant and a threat to the security of us all.
How does the CRA infringe of natural liberties, liberties that for some people were never respected to begin with?

Old 08-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree with the bold!

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary."

James Madison, Federalist No. 51, February 8, 1788
History shows us that people have never been angels. Some people will kill over "he called me a name". We need government. We just need the right kind of government.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
How does the CRA infringe of natural liberties, liberties that for some people were never respected to begin with?

It did the same thing Jim Crow laws did...infringed on the right of association and private property rights.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Agree LBJ was no angel although he did work with the leaders of the Civil Rights movement to get first the CRA of 1964 passed. Then working together again, making principled compromises, to pass the Voting Rights Act of 1965. & then again to pass the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

He understood the opponents of these CRAs, let's face it, they were his fellow Southerners. He knew the racism & racial supremacy from the inside, after all, he was raised in that environment. If JFK had lived, he would have tried to accomplish the same. We'll never know.

Also agree that injustice anywhere or targeting anyone is a threat to justice everywhere & for all of us.

Ron & Rand Paul (& others) are not your friend or mine. Anyone who talks that 'I would've opposed the CRA of 1964' is not to be trusted as far as I'm concerned. The convoluted justifications are 'speaking with forked tongue' talk in my book.
Johnson also spoke out against the KKK. He was willing to work with civil rights leaders.

And you would be right that he did understand how the South worked. I don't consider Texas to be a southern state. It has southern culture in it brought from some of its settlers, but I see it more as its own region. That said, Texas had Jim Crow too. It had the KKK. It had alot of crap going on. Because of this, I would imagine that LBJ knew what he was dealing with.

With JFK being a Boston native, he would have understood racial prejudice from another perspective. Boston had its own issues in terms of racism.

Considering that Rand Paul doesn't seem keen on the CRA, it makes me wonder how he did relative well among Blacks. Now, I understand he talked about the drug war and how harmfull mass incarceration is.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
[quote=eddie gein;45281729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

It's actually more simple than that. Before 1664 only about 5% of southern blacks were registered to vote. In 1968, about 60% of them were. Because of LBJ backing the voting rights act, and the civil rights act they were solidified in their support for the democratic party (which had already started under FDR and Truman).

Southern whites did not want to be associated with southern blacks politically as they certainly didn't support the black agenda. Thus the exodus to the republican party over the succeeding decades. So essentially, the base of the republican party (particularly in the south) is the same group of people as the democrats had up until 1965.

The dems have countered with black voters and other coalitions of special interest groups that have forced it to be more liberal.
Yes I agree to a point for the south. I was just speaking in today's terms of how poor, white and southerners view today's Democrats and why they don't vote Democrat.

But before LBJ and the CRA, blacks voted Republican. So it was a political plan to take this group away from the Republicans.

That's why I said the CRA and LBJ was really about bringing blacks into the Democrat party to form a majority coalition against socially conservative whites.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Johnson also spoke out against the KKK. He was willing to work with civil rights leaders.

And you would be right that he did understand how the South worked. I don't consider Texas to be a southern state. It has southern culture in it brought from some of its settlers, but I see it more as its own region. That said, Texas had Jim Crow too. It had the KKK. It had alot of crap going on. Because of this, I would imagine that LBJ knew what he was dealing with.

With JFK being a Boston native, he would have understood racial prejudice from another perspective. Boston had its own issues in terms of racism.

Considering that Rand Paul doesn't seem keen on the CRA, it makes me wonder how he did relative well among Blacks. Now, I understand he talked about the drug war and how harmfull mass incarceration is.
Hey, great that Rand Paul talked about drugs & incarceration, etc. I wonder how he views privatized for-profit prisons? I still wouldn't trust anyone to be that clueless on civil rights. Sounds like 'Don't Tread On My Right to Tread on You'. No thank you Rand Paul.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:

Naturally you only see what's best for you as a black person matters. You don't care or even acknowledge whites have a right to wonder what's better for them. Of course you wanted to be free to leave high crime, poor, dysfunctional black areas and move into white areas. But you don't care that crime, dysfunction and adversity increased in white society. Your favoring of policies that benefit your race is not more moral than others who favored policies that benefited their race.

The frank truth is you wanted these policies to get away from black society, then castigate the whites that were wanting the same.

You've mentioned the KKK and paint white history as so bad. But the real KKK today is the Klan with the tan, physically attacking people for the political beliefs and their white skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies