Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times

Advertisements

This November there will be 8 more states voting on their own pot laws. The biggest by far is California with Prop 64. With polls showing 59% in favor of passing (up from 49% in 2009) it appears the Golden State will triple the legal pot market literally over night.
Will California Go All in on Legalizing Recreational Weed? | Alternet

"The AUMA has a community reinvestment fund with the first revenues available in 2019," said DPA's Lyman, adding that it will be $10 million the first year and up to $50 million a year in the future. "This is going to communities most impacted by the drug war, black and brown communities, and will include everything from legal services, to public health and economic development. The communities will be able to decide."

It will also retroactively free more than 10,000 non-violent offenders sitting in prisons, and makes it possible for the nearly 1/2 million possession/intent felons to reclassify their records down to misdemeanors. This is great news, and though Prop 64 still has some issues where it falls short, it is more than a step in the right direction.

States just won big time:

The Federal Appeals Court stepped in last week and told the feds to back off their insane pot laws, declaring states rights to have and enforce their own marijuana laws.
The Largest Federal Appeals Court Tells DOJ To Back Off State-Legal Medical Marijuana

So far there are 25 states and DC (the irony) which have legalized medical. With CA likely to legalize adult recreational use this November, the end of this insanity will be in sight. There will be ballots in every state within a few years. The war on drugs (citizens and especially minorities) must come to an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
I'm surprised nobody had anything to say. Maybe the tide has finally turned.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:14 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,334,290 times
I know someone who will reply, but I bet it is taking him longer than Norml (pun intended) to get his propaganda together for this one.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
This would be a good question to pose to the candidates during the debates.

I am curious how "the Law and Order " Candidate would respond.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,334,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This would be a good question to pose to the candidates during the debates.

I am curious how "the Law and Order " Candidate would respond.
To be honest, I don't know which candidate that is!

If it is Trump, he has gone on record saying he thinks it should be left up to the states.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
It is great news.

It's Time To Abolish The DEA And America's "War On Drugs" Gulag

AAA Safety Foundation Finds No Scientific Basis that THC in Blood Impairs Driving

Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,613,104 times
This is particularly great news for California where we already have overcrowded prisons and gang and cartel crime. I'm all for anything that cuts into their profits. And I prefer this as a tax generator over raising sales and gas taxes and other fees, which are already relatively high.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
"The AUMA has a community reinvestment fund with the first revenues available in 2019," said DPA's Lyman, adding that it will be $10 million the first year and up to $50 million a year in the future. "This is going to communities most impacted by the drug war, black and brown communities, and will include everything from legal services, to public health and economic development. The communities will be able to decide."
I was thinking, what does a pot legalization initiative have to do with giving black and brown communities $50 million a year? Is this just liberals being liberal? But it occurs to me that this is a payoff. White hipsters entering the legal marijuana growing business will need to compensate the "communities" who have controlled the industry to this point.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
This November there will be 8 more states voting on their own pot laws. The biggest by far is California with Prop 64. With polls showing 59% in favor of passing (up from 49% in 2009) it appears the Golden State will triple the legal pot market literally over night.
Will California Go All in on Legalizing Recreational Weed? | Alternet

It will also retroactively free more than 10,000 non-violent offenders sitting in prisons, and makes it possible for the nearly 1/2 million possession/intent felons to reclassify their records down to misdemeanors. This is great news, and though Prop 64 still has some issues where it falls short, it is more than a step in the right direction.

States just won big time:

The Federal Appeals Court stepped in last week and told the feds to back off their insane pot laws, declaring states rights to have and enforce their own marijuana laws.
The Largest Federal Appeals Court Tells DOJ To Back Off State-Legal Medical Marijuana

So far there are 25 states and DC (the irony) which have legalized medical. With CA likely to legalize adult recreational use this November, the end of this insanity will be in sight. There will be ballots in every state within a few years. The war on drugs (citizens and especially minorities) must come to an end.
The time has come, the time is NOW

Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
Oh boy. I wonder if notmeofficer will comment on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies