Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,465,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again, this isn't an issue about political correctness, patriotism, free speech, or anything like that.

As I said on another thread, this is about FEAR, and fear alone.

Kaepernick's critics are terrified that his militancy will spread to other black people. This is nothing but fear masquerading itself to manifest publicly as patriotism. But if you're not a fool, you should be able to see right through it. Patriotism and love of country has squat to do with their disdain for Kap. They're scared of him. They think he'll multiply.

That's all. Period, point blank.

Until his critics can have an honest discussion about why they dislike him, forget it. The discussion will keep going in circles going nowhere.
I get your point but I completely disagree. I turn to sports to escape work and politics and check out for a period of time. I dont go to sports to try and enlighten myself on political events. I am pretty confident that I have a better understanding of most political topics than a pro athlete. When that line gets crossed with sports and politics I usually check out. Thats why I dont pay for ESPN anymore. I think its fine to draw attention to a cause that affects you (Cancer research, wounded vets, homeless pets/people etc....I am fine with that and I think its great, just dont look like a hypocrite and say there is racial unjust when you are making $10+million a yr. I find the less I know about celebrities/athletes the more I like them. Im not sure why we need to know everyones political views on anything. Those can be shaped by a million different things in someones life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 10:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I get your point but I completely disagree. I turn to sports to escape work and politics and check out for a period of time. I dont go to sports to try and enlighten myself on political events. I am pretty confident that I have a better understanding of most political topics than a pro athlete. When that line gets crossed with sports and politics I usually check out. Thats why I dont pay for ESPN anymore. I think its fine to draw attention to a cause that affects you (Cancer research, wounded vets, homeless pets/people etc....I am fine with that and I think its great, just dont look like a hypocrite and say there is racial unjust when you are making $10+million a yr. I find the less I know about celebrities/athletes the more I like them. Im not sure why we need to know everyones political views on anything. Those can be shaped by a million different things in someones life.
Why in the heck would I believe that you have a better grasp of political events than a pro athlete? Based on what? Like Kap is a dummy? He's got a four year degree. That's more education than most people in America have statistically.

So what makes you more astute than him?

And what the hell does making ten million a year mean? There were black millionaires during Jim Crow. Did that mean that they should've embraced discrimination just because they became rich while it was the law of the land?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Lol...that's funny.

Kap's critics don't give a damn about a "racial divide." They only care about order and people staying in their place.

As long as we have that, they have no issue with any racial divide. In fact, that's exactly what they really want. They just want it to be peaceful. They're only mad because Kap is speaking out about it. If he'd just accept it and be quiet, they'd run out and buy his jersey.
No they're mad because just about everyone stands for the anthem.....that is about respect. If he feels police brutality is an issue that needs to be addressed no-one cares, thats fine. Beyonce still sells out shows. Its when you sit for the anthem that many have died for and wear t shirts with Fidel Castro while saying the USA sucks is when people turn on you. I dont think the racial divide is nearly as bad as what the media want people to believe. As long as there is something terrible to talk about, the media wins.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
No they're mad because just about everyone stands for the anthem.....that is about respect. If he feels police brutality is an issue that needs to be addressed no-one cares, thats fine. Beyonce still sells out shows. Its when you sit for the anthem that many have died for and wear t shirts with Fidel Castro while saying the USA sucks is when people turn on you. I dont think the racial divide is nearly as bad as what the media want people to believe. As long as there is something terrible to talk about, the media wins.
Did your living conditions change when he didn't stand up for the anthem?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Why in the heck would I believe that you have a better grasp of political events than a pro athlete? Based on what? Like Kap is a dummy? He's got a four year degree. That's more education than most people in America have statistically.

So what makes you more astute than him?
Not sure if you went to a major college or not, but being an athlete and getting a degree is a pretty simple task. Its about as simple as remembering to eat breakfast. There are 2 college programs. 1 for athletes and 1 for everyone else.

But since you asked.....my BS, Masters, 6 years in Active duty as an Officer, running my own business, working for a large global company in the energy industry, living abroad....I am pretty confident in my understanding of politics.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
did someone **** in your cereal this morning?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Did your change when he sat? I dont really give a crap what he does. All i know is he choose poorly and will be done in the NFL.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,269,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Let me preface this thread by stating that I do not condone Kaepernick sitting for the national anthem, but there is a bizarre hypocrisy developing around his actions. Trump and other politicians are champions of being "non-politically correct", yet they criticize Kaepernick when he decides to protest the anthem. If conservatives want to live in a society where political correctness is not respected, there should be no problem with not standing for the national anthem.

Interestingly enough, conservatives were telling Kaepernick to leave America if he thinks he can find a better country. Yet, according to Trump and posters on this forum, Obama is the antichrist and the country is going down the toilet. To me, it seems like the anti political correctness movement is really a desire for a pass to say openly racist/homophobic statements with no consequence.
In my opinion, being "politically correct" means one uses the words and terms set by whoever these liberal/progressives are who set these terms deemed "acceptable and nothing less is". For example (and just examples): Illegal Alien vs. Undocumented Immigrant. Gay vs. Homo. On the Spectrum/Special Needs vs. Retard.

I don't think Kaepernick sitting down for the national anthem was politically incorrect.

It was stupid.

Given who he is (an over-paid, underperforming NFL player), who raised him (a white couple) and what he hasn't done to help those he claims to have disrespected the National Anthem for.....

Why now? This isn't his first year in the NFL.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you went to a major college or not, but being an athlete and getting a degree is a pretty simple task. Its about as simple as remembering to eat breakfast. There are 2 college programs. 1 for athletes and 1 for everyone else.

But since you asked.....my BS, Masters, 6 years in Active duty as an Officer, running my own business, working for a large global company in the energy industry, living abroad....I am pretty confident in my understanding of politics.
Ahhhhh...so you're assuming that the quality of your education was better than his because he happens to be an athlete, right?

Yeah...well I'm also a veteran, and let's just say that I wasn't impressed with the competency of the average military officer.

Yeah, sure...you're confident of your understanding of politics, but again, I see nothing about your little resume that should make me assume that you're anymore politically astute than he is. At best, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're obviously older. But that aside, I know plenty of clueless old people.

As a cross racial adoptee and a star athlete, perhaps he has many pertinent life experiences that inform his judgement in a way that's beyond your understanding. And that's obviously the same in your case where he is concerned. The difference is that he'd probably have a lot more magnanimity towards you for your views than you're willing to give him for his.

Anyway...it's a free country.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
In my opinion, being "politically correct" means one uses the words and terms set by whoever these liberal/progressives are who set these terms deemed "acceptable and nothing less is". For example (and just examples): Illegal Alien vs. Undocumented Immigrant. Gay vs. Homo. On the Spectrum/Special Needs vs. Retard.

I don't think Kaepernick sitting down for the national anthem was politically incorrect.

It was stupid.

Given who he is (an over-paid, underperforming NFL player), who raised him (a white couple) and what he hasn't done to help those he claims to have disrespected the National Anthem for.....

Why now? This isn't his first year in the NFL.
If he's overpaid based on your judgement, then you're overpaid based on my judgement.

And what does being raised by white people have to do with anything? That's TOTALLY irrelevant. For all you know, they might support him.

Having white parents doesn't change his reality. You're just mad because you see it as being ungrateful to ALL white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies