Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
reziac I was just trying to point out that netherlands are very left leaning and measures upon measures have not solved the problem. A % of any population will make themselves known. How much the media & public at large feeds them is the part we control. We need to see our own responsibility clearly, and less in terms of controlling the whole world with a standard that drags everyone down to the lowest dregs of our society. That's unhealthy for a civilization.
Can we draw a parallel here... the war on terrorism approach, where everyone must sacrafice 500 freedoms for the sake of perhaps one day preventing a ghost from reaching them? I believe LE needs to be empowered, but equally, what are we defending if our very liberty is the first casualty? Very dangerous mentality.
Exactly. Because one person chooses a messy and public method of suicide should not be used to confine all of us as dangerous lunatics. You don't cull the bad apple by torching the orchard. Yet that is what is being demanded of us today -- give up our rights and our freedoms, lest one of us prove to be a madman, a terrorist, a murderer, or whatever is this week's best-publicized bogeyman.

"An eye for a eye makes the whole world blind" is not just a caveat against mindless revenge. It is also a warning against promulgating thoughtcrime, the notion that because one person errs, ALL must pay, lest anyone else have similar thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:01 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,017 times
Montana isn't going anywhere-where would they go? Canada? Total independence? I doubt it. A collection of states on their own may have a chance of surviving as a sovereign nation, but not even one as big as Montana would be able to go it alone.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:59 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Naw, it's just that we think long and hard before we do. Unlike certain other folks, who do without thinking and then regret.

Looks to me like your only purpose here is to try to goad folks into rash actions, so you can gloat when they fail. Ain't gonna work with Montanans.
Oh good. I haven't had a nights sleep since I heard Montanans were "talking" about secession. Glad to hear it's just talk.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:30 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
rlchurch I have yet to see a compelling argument coming from any post you've made. Heckling has the effect of making people averse to taking you seriously. Whatever you think you're winning in these snotty come backs, I'm more inclined to believe you're just another example of self indulgent narcissism. Try self actualizing lately?

Old 04-12-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
rlchurch I have yet to see a compelling argument coming from any post you've made. Heckling has the effect of making people averse to taking you seriously. Whatever you think you're winning in these snotty come backs, I'm more inclined to believe you're just another example of self indulgent narcissism. Try self actualizing lately?
Thanks for sharing I love the depth of your contribution too.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
I think it's just being lazy. It's real easy to be a drive-by bomb thrower instead of taking time for insightfull thought.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 AM

LOL how do you have an intelligent conversation with people who seem to really believe Montana is going to attempt to secede from the United States? The entire proposition is patently absurd on its face.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think it's just being lazy. It's real easy to be a drive-by bomb thrower instead of taking time for insightfull thought.
Same bomb every time, too. Ever notice it never goes off? Must be a dud.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Same bomb every time, too. Ever notice it never goes off? Must be a dud.
I've been getting reps for them, so there is an appreciative audience out there. Not many RWers like my barbs though.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,170,059 times
Quote:
Exactly. Because one person chooses a messy and public method of suicide should not be used to confine all of us as dangerous lunatics. You don't cull the bad apple by torching the orchard. Yet that is what is being demanded of us today -- give up our rights and our freedoms, lest one of us prove to be a madman, a terrorist, a murderer, or whatever is this week's best-publicized bogeyman.

"An eye for a eye makes the whole world blind" is not just a caveat against mindless revenge. It is also a warning against promulgating thoughtcrime, the notion that because one person errs, ALL must pay, lest anyone else have similar thoughts.
Exactly! It's strange to me that every time something happens that can be "useful" to a few for publicity the media is all over it, but when someone uses common sense and a weapon to stop something from happening the is no mention of it in the media.

Maybe we should start our own network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies