Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 05:48 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That store is owed by crooks and charlatans anyway. I wouldn't buy a folding chair from them.

I agree. Their furniture is pressboard junk any way.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Greedy CEO's strike again.
Quote:
CEO's get more wealth and workers get the shaft. Get to hire new workers who will be worked like slaves with no benefits,low wages and long hours. Thanks for giving me another store I WON'T be using to furnish our new home in October!

“We cannot let companies like Ashley bleed the American dream,” Naja said. “It’s not only the employees, but the families, the kids, the wives. They’ve got wives with medical situations and things like that. There’s no way a huge company like Ashley’s can shut down the doors.”

Another former employee, Juan Zuniga, 36, said he is the only breadwinner for his family, with three kids.

“I feel sorry for every single one of our family,” Zuniga said. “This is my family. I’ve been here more than in my home. I’ve spent 10 to 12 hours working in there.”

Roselia Serrano, 40, of Colton, also is the sole income provider for her family with two teenagers. She said Friday was the first time the workers were informed of the layoffs.

“Right now, I’m in shock. My head is spinning and I don’t know what’s going to be my next step,” Serrano said. “I know we have to look for another job.”

Zuniga said he and other workers are organizing a Labor Day protest in front of the store.

“We’re going to be here making a protest and we’re calling everybody that can come to please support us and find out what they did to us,” Zuniga said. “Come and support all the hard-working employees and parents that take income to their house. I’m the only one supporting my family. I’m the only one paying a mortgage.”
Quote:
If CEO's can be paid millions of dollars a year and the price of furniture not go up then paying employees 3 or 4$ more an hour sure in the hell won't cause it to go up. I can't people still believe that crap.
Quote:
I'm sure that's what the republican handlers have told the gullible masses.
Quote:
Oh but its the very LIE they are trying to claim. They want to claim because of the 15$ min wage its why the company is closing in California when if that was the case the CEO making MILLIONS would have already bankrupted them. Its a lie to pin the problem on the working man and woman that wants to be able to provide for their family.
Quote:
Can't wait to see what these clowns do when its raised all over the country and Trump doesn't let the companies leave and if they manage to do so they will have their products taxed so high it will put them out of business. Its funny how if there wasn't all this illegal labor then wages would go higher so what are the companies going to do then? Less people to do the job so not going to have any choice BUT raise wages....Can only imagine these jerks lies then about moving somewhere else.
Quote:
Sure sure....giving CEOs MILLIONS of dollars-no problem! workers want slight wage raises-the sky is falling OMG we can't be competitive!
Quote:
Go ahead...people will then buy from your competitors like I will next month when we move and need a new living room suite.
Quote:
Its not absurd to be paid a wage you can live off of. Only republicans think that's the case and its a HUGE reason I have never joined the GOP or voted straight GOP ticket. The GOP's war on the working man is disgusting and harmful and they wonder why they lose elections.
Quote:
Good to see you give up. You know I am right because I am! It makes ZERO sense to think you can pay MILLIONS to 1 person but not 3 or 4 dollars more an hour to 840 workers.
Quote:
Not so much WHO but what. You should be able to pay the average rent and child care and car payment and house payment off of your wage. Its pathetic government must enforce greedy companies to pay better wages but that's what its come to at times.
Quote:
Sure Sure. I am correct you are wrong. If paying to much was problem CEO wouldn't be getting millions.
Quote:
Sure sure....I need an education yet you can't defeat my argument because its correct. The company is leaving Cali because NOW they will have to pay a livable wage to its workers and that's just WRONG! Only the CEO is allowed to get disgustingly rich!
lol. This is fun!

Old 09-05-2016, 05:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
If everyone only earns $10/hr, who can afford to buy Ashley furniture?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Here are two interesting articles about the Ashley CEO Todd Wanek's cozy relationship with Scott Walker
Jake's Economic TA Funhouse: This week in WisGOP corruption, Ashley style

http://democurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2...-junkyard.html

Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Jeez. I thought Snopes and Wiki were bad. Now we've sunken to quoting BLOGS?

God Bless America. She needs all the help she can get!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:10 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Someone already beat me to it but most of the workers making $15 and hour probably don't own homes unless they have a spouse, they are not moving. This doesn't sound like the company that cares in any event they gave employees that were with them for decades the minimum notice

That minimum notice is sufficient. Surely the employees would move with the corp if it were not. 2 months is a lot of time.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If there had been a union for the workers of Ashley furniture in Arcadia, WI, there would not have been so many injuries.

LOL! Based on what? Newsflash: Certain occupations have high rates of injury. Coal miners who were more often than not unionized, have died on the job quite often. By your logic, that is the union's fault. They created the union working conditions.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
that's where you're wrong. No one making minimum wage should have bought a house (let alone have been given the loan). You're car payment is not your employer's responsibility either. And you should be living in housing that you can afford on your pay (if you only make minimum, that isn't your employers problem).

amen

Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The workers should leave with the jobs. They can live more cheaply in those other states.
Why? I live in CA and wouldn't live in some of those humid southern states if you paid me.

There is no guarantee that if they relocate to say Mississippi, leaving family and long time friends and everything they know that Ashley won't turn around a year from now and move the operation out of the country. Now they're living in a strange state they only moved to follow the job but never wanted to live in.

Now you're out of a job and located some place you really don't want to be, and don't know anyone. Not good.

Better to look for something local first.

You live in TN, I have seen your other posts about CA, you have never lived in CA, don't assume the whole state is expensive. You watch "reality TV"(sigh) showing expensive homes in CA on some real estate show and get all your information from that.

That would like saying everyone in TN only likes country music and can only dance the two step.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Sure sure....I need an education !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies