Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:59 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Eight years of recovery and just barely seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Glad we listened to Obamas plan.

What requirements were raised and lowered?

“Able-bodied adults without dependents are eligible for SNAP for only three months in any three-year period unless they are working or participating in qualifying education and training activities,” said Kevin W. Concannon, the under secretary of agriculture in charge of food assistance programs.
During and after the latest recession, which ended in mid-2009, most states qualified for waivers from the time limits. But the time limits will be in effect this year in more than 40 states. In 22 states, the limits are coming back for the first time since the recession.
As the economy improves, the Food and Nutrition Service said, many places no longer qualify for time limit waivers.

In 2016, Ms. Rosenbaum said, the three-month time limit will be in effect in areas with about 65 percent of the United States population while the rest of the country can qualify for waivers because of high and persistent unemployment, and officials in those states have requested a continuation of the waivers.
By contrast, Ms. Rosenbaum said, the 2015 time limits were in effect in areas with about 30 percent of the country’s population.
Yep, like I said, the old requirements are being slowly put back in place. California is holding onto its waiver until 2018. Despite this, California food stamp enrollment actually dropped by more than 200,000 between May and June.

Population increase alone will probably keep SNAP participation from ever dropping back down to 2007 levels.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:28 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
LOL The nagging income stagnation has been an issue since 2008, and now that it improves, you come up with this?

A natural born pessimist will never be happy, but most people are happy seeing this improve.

And Obama counts on the uninformed, who aren't aware of how the Census Bureau since 2013, in it's "rolling census," the ACS, determines household income. And it's Obama's MO, just as he changed the definition of deportations, to make it appear that they increased under his administration.

That's what happens in a banana republic--the facts are what the junta says they are.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I would buy in a heartbeat if I could. I am a rent slave, addicted to shelter.
You refuse to take my advice to move to a state like mine where you could easily afford a house so your statement is not true.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:04 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Look it up. Most of the time they are adjusted up.
"Most of the time they are adjusted up."

I repeat, All I want to see is ALL the gov't predictions then the "adjusted" numbers for ALL of Obama's Presidency.

YOU post them to back up YOUR claim.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:51 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Yep, like I said, the old requirements are being slowly put back in place. California is holding onto its waiver until 2018. Despite this, California food stamp enrollment actually dropped by more than 200,000 between May and June.

Population increase alone will probably keep SNAP participation from ever dropping back down to 2007 levels.
I was curious about how the standard requirements were first lowered and why.

As an example If you made less than 30k and had 3 children why was it lowered to making less than 25k and having 3 children. Why lower the requirements? What changed?

Wouldn't income being stagnant while prices increased cause the enrollment to rise just by itself? example - 30k buys 30k worth of product in 2014 but 29.6k worth of product in 2016. The money is purchasing less so more people would need food stamps.
So the 30k level is used in 2014 and in 2016 the new level is 30.4k

Am just using the 30k figure. I don't know the levels and number of dependents on when food stamps kick in and I'm sure it varies from state to state.

If the number of people on food stamps has increased that much and stayed at roughly the same high level, wouldn't the obvious answer be most of the jobs we've gotten back are lower paying jobs?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-16-2016 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies