Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:18 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I own an oceanfront property in an association in which 4 are oceanfront and 30+ are not. I pay taxes for my privately owned oceanfront property. There are no legally recorded easements.

Should others get to use my privately owned property for free?
I'm confused, what do you actually own, to the high water mark? What part of youe "private property" are they trespassing on.

If it's a big problem can't you just fence off your property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The bolded above is what they are seeking.

The homeowners are not blocking the public's rights to use the beach and they are not contesting the city's right to take the property.

The homeowners are contesting the city's attempt to take the property without compensation.

It is called an easement. All property has it.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I own an oceanfront property in an association in which 4 are oceanfront and 30+ are not. I pay taxes for my privately owned oceanfront property. There are no legally recorded easements.

Should others get to use my privately owned property for free?
And I own the road in front of my home. Fee simple. But the other three properties in the culk-de-sac have a right to pass over it. But I still own it. And the back twelve feet on my property are an easement by the county. Can't build on or do anything but landscape and that is limited. Can't even put in a sdewalk as the horses don't like them.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:48 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The lower court seems to have decided that; but, their Supreme Court took this case for some reason... we'll just have to wait and see why.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
I can come and camp out on the beach right in front of his property and pretty much live there tax free year around.
Beaches and banks of rivers have been common law passageways since the first of mankind.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:37 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
The answer is yes, they get to use your land since there is no 'taking' in a public easement.
There is no legal easement recorded on the deed or title. Public land is seaward only of the legally surveyed and recorded high water mark.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I'm confused, what do you actually own, to the high water mark? What part of youe "private property" are they trespassing on.
Landward of the high water mark. My lot line extends 100 feet eastward of the naturally occurring barrier dune, otherwise known as the dry sand beach. You know, the part where everyone sets up their beach umbrellas, beach chairs, canopy tents, coolers, beach blankets, etc.

Should also add that (in my case) while the town and state insists the public can use the privately owned land for free that the owner is taxed on, they provide no lifeguards, no trash cans, don't clean up the mess people leave behind, etc.

Quote:
If it's a big problem can't you just fence off your property?
No. The town won't allow it.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Most property has a public and/or utility easement near the street. That's legally recorded and should show up on a survey. There is no easement elsewhere unless it's legally recorded. That's exactly why the police cannot enter your home without a search warrant. They do not have an easement to do so.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And I own the road in front of my home. Fee simple. But the other three properties in the culk-de-sac have a right to pass over it. But I still own it.
And that's probably legally recorded as an easement.
Quote:
And the back twelve feet on my property are an easement by the county.
Also legally recorded. Check your survey.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
The lower court seems to have decided that; but, their Supreme Court took this case for some reason... we'll just have to wait and see why.
I'm guessing it's because there is no legally recorded easement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies