Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We had strongly considered retiring to a small, western town but have realized that these changes going on in our society may not play out well in such places over the next decade. In the meantime, trying to find more affordable housing options in or near a "desirable" city becomes increasingly difficult and will force out those who can't quite keep up with the rising costs.
Very true and very on topic. It is my experience and observation that it is easier to move from a growth metro area in retirement than towards one. Many of us having had worked in growing metro areas have benefited and been able to comfortably retire where others elsewhere were perhaps more challenged. Certainly the equity increase in our homes has given many a considerable advantage which only heightens the economic divide between us in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
That's a good point.

We decided to retire at a location close to Medical facilities. That is increasingly difficult to find in rural areas.
Yes, I know in North Carolina that quality medical facilities often go hand in hand with economic strength of the area. Hospitals in some of the poorer rural areas have been closing and the residents there are the most challenged to try to move to a more advantaged area.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...816_story.html

Quote:
For the high percentages of elderly and uninsured patients who live in rural areas, closures mean longer trips for treatment and uncertainty during times of crisis. “I came to the emergency room when I had panic attacks,” said George Taylor, 60, a retired federal government employee. “It was very soothing and the staff was great. I can’t imagine Mount Vernon without a hospital.”
The Kansas-based National Rural Health Association, which represents about 2,000 small hospitals across the country and other rural care providers, says that 48 rural hospitals have closed since 2010, the majority in Southern states, and 283 others are in trouble. In Texas alone, 10 have closed.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:40 PM

13,606 posts, read 4,937,539 times
The linked article explains a lot of what has been puzzling me: it seems that many people feel the country is in terrible shape and going downhill, whereas by any objective measurement (unemployment, inflation, GDP, stock market) the economy is doing quite well. I sympathize with those who lost jobs in the great recession, but after all the majority of Americans did not lose their jobs. In my case, I changed jobs twice since then, both times at a better salary, bought and sold houses, taking advantage of low interest rates, and seen my retirement accounts grow nicely. So it does seem like I'm living in a different country from those who see their standard of living getting worse, not better.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We do:

This isn't about politics but about the fact that America may well as the article suggest have two economic realities very different from each other. Our lives in that reality can create a very different retirement mentality, life style and mind set about it all.

The gap between Trump’s America and Clinton’s is getting worse

Perhaps in one area a retirement income of 50k is satisfying and in another area couples need a lot more to feel comfortable and meet THEIR expectations.
For me, 50k a year would be huge. I get much less than that, as I didn't work much and my ex went on disabilty early. It isn't enough to live in an urban area unless you can get into some sort of subsidised program. Or you have family help.

I got an 'early inheritance' with my little house, but am moving in the spring to an urban/suburban area with family. What you find is areas which the housing is cheap and the prices generally low is that the services are also lacking. I haven't had sufficent depth vision since a surgery failed in my late fifties to drive. I don't miss anything about the place I lived, which was suburban, but I miss the bus system. One reason I wish to move is with no public transport, I get stranded at home a lot. I'm pretty much a homebody, but when I need to go somewhere else, I need to.

I'll be sharing a lot with my son and we've settled on a basement apartment for me. Its a lot of compromise for me, since I do own my house, but the chance to do things on your own has become a need which is currently a growing need.

If you think you found your forever retirement place, and its cheap and your needs are met at first, don't assume they will always be and you may go looking for something which fits you now.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The linked article explains a lot of what has been puzzling me: .... In my case, I changed jobs twice since then, both times at a better salary, bought and sold houses, taking advantage of low interest rates, and seen my retirement accounts grow nicely. So it does seem like I'm living in a different country from those who see their standard of living getting worse, not better.

And you are over age 55 and rural, correct?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:05 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
For you I am sure but for others it is about the fundamental structural changes in our economy and the world and their impact on people and oh yeah investments and where to live.
And people are presenting factoids born of their political views.

Be disingenuous all you want.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The linked article explains a lot of what has been puzzling me: it seems that many people feel the country is in terrible shape and going downhill, whereas by any objective measurement (unemployment, inflation, GDP, stock market) the economy is doing quite well. I sympathize with those who lost jobs in the great recession, but after all the majority of Americans did not lose their jobs. In my case, I changed jobs twice since then, both times at a better salary, bought and sold houses, taking advantage of low interest rates, and seen my retirement accounts grow nicely. So it does seem like I'm living in a different country from those who see their standard of living getting worse, not better.
Good point and unfortunately where we live can create a echo chamber that reinforces us doing things that may or may not be productive for our retirement in hindsight. As I have noted many a time in forum discussions we were blessed to have the shared wisdom of many who retired successfully before us and taught us to be focused on our prize and not something else.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
The current "dis-engaging" of rural USA is not gonna help this situation... (Internet is very poor, and expensive and often impossible to get in rural USA)

Many countries are using REA type internet co-ops with Gov backed financing, much like 1930's electrification of Rural USA. Internet / rural commerce no longer is a priority for USA, as it is EZ to get 'enough' urban votes.

It's a 'Left wing conspiracy' to get everybody to move to town.

it is really difficult to balance your checkbook, on-line. Need to head to a far away town that has a Starbucks.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

That tide appears to be turning. Many of the factories that produce the goods can be mostly automated and run on a handful of skilled staff. .......
Few of the jobs of the future are going to involve agriculture, ranching, retailing, or manufacturing.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Few of the jobs of the future are going to involve agriculture, ranching, retailing, or manufacturing.
Ok, so how do workers in those areas which have historically provided jobs in those areas develop healthy ideas and practices to secure their retirements? This is important because it is quite possible that because of things like this we in this forum have a wide range of challenges beyond our control in how well we are able to prepare. I will admit for the umpteenth time we were blessed to have lived and worked where we did. Had we made different decisions almost 45 plus years ago who know!

Last edited by TuborgP; 09-20-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies