Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:16 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Sickening, and a few thoughts:

1. This incident is hardly unique to the country. The bystander effect happens all over the world

2. I know the natural reaction is for people to express outrage and disgust. "How could anyone NOT do anything to help the poor girl?" "What cowards, now I would have done something to help." So on and so forth.

The painful truth is, none of us can say with certainty that we would act 'heroic' in such situations (unless we actually have been in such situations. I know the Bruce Willis' out there would disagree, but that's the truth. One thing to act heroic from a keyboard, another thing completely when you are suddenly confronted with the sight of someone stabbing to death another, all the blood and the screaming and horror. I would most likely freeze with shock and horror, and run away. Yes that makes me a coward, but at least I am honest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hing/#comments

Quote:
The footage lasted for an agonizing 45 seconds.

Captured by CCTV on Tuesday in the streets of Burari, in North Delhi, it began with a man dragging a woman along the sidewalk before throwing her to the pavement.

He pulled out a single blade from a pair of scissors and stabbed her with tremendous force.

Then he continued to stab her again and again, each time more brutally than before. At one point, he paused to kick her in the head.

As the man continued to stab the young woman, who was writhing in pain in clear view of every passerby, several people wandered by. Some ignored the scene entirely, while others glanced over and kept walking.

One man in a backpack and another man stuck around, waving their hands helplessly in the air. At one point, a person on a motorbike stopped and seemed to speak to the attacker as he continued stabbing the woman. But by then, the woman had stopped writhing. She was still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

1. This incident is hardly unique to the country. The bystander effect happens all over the world

2. I know the natural reaction is for people to express outrage and disgust. "How could anyone NOT do anything to help the poor girl?" "What cowards, now I would have done something to help." So on and so forth.

The painful truth is, none of us can say with certainty that we would act 'heroic' in such situations (unless we actually have been in such situations. I know the Bruce Willis' out there would disagree, but that's the truth. One thing to act heroic from a keyboard, another thing completely when you are suddenly confronted with the sight of someone stabbing to death another, all the blood and the screaming and horror. I would most likely freeze with shock and horror, and run away. Yes that makes me a coward, but at least I am honest.

Well, your first point took away what I was going to write. It's a sad, but true fact. A person is more likely to do nothing than help another person.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I think most guys would stop an attack like that. Seriously, how difficult is it to kick a guy in the face, pull him by his hair, and smash his face on a curb. Plus, in a lot of US states you can use deadly force to help someone in imminent harm.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:45 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I'd invest a bullet or two to stop that.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:53 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Aren't women supposed to be treated as second-class citizens in India?

Old 09-21-2016, 09:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think most guys would stop an attack like that. Seriously, how difficult is it to kick a guy in the face, pull him by his hair, and smash his face on a curb. Plus, in a lot of US states you can use deadly force to help someone in imminent harm.
And yet news of rapes and attacks in New York City...in front of God and everyone.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You're confusing India with the Middle East.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Yes. I am from India & since moving to the west, I hardly visit home. I cant even stand the discrimination within my own family so imagine how I get treated by strangers. Getting molested in public spaces is still very common so you have to always watch out for yourself. There have been brutal rapes in past few years especially because of night time jobs in call centres. It is not a safe country for women. Cops are highly corrupt & wont helpout the public so your safety is your responsibility. Honor killings are also an issue in northern India.

One of the biggest drawbacks of the western society is that you think rest of the world is progressing at the same rate as you. In 3rd world countries you see some cars on road, people dressed in western clothes & wrongfully assume that they have same values & maturity as you. But the fact is that some morally corrupt countries are going backwards.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:16 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You're confusing India with the Middle East.
Middle East has strict rules & they implement them. They acknowledge their identity as conservaties & dont apologize for it whereas Indians are totally confused. They want to copy the liberal west through clothes, music & movies but deep down they are backward. I left India long time ago but still read about the same issues over the years so nothing has changed.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:18 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I think Lorena needs to come back full force and train some of these ladies overseas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies