Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 09:29 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

They also want a deal because they have a $100 billion a year trade surplus with us, and make a lot of money out of us, so they would have to be stark raving mad not to want to get a trade deal and sort this mess out.

Although their initial thinking has always been to prevent us leaving or to keep having votes until they get one they like the result of, as this has been the EU strategy in the past, however it's not going to work this time.

Of course, the EU wants a deal. Have said as much all the way along. Even agreed to a deal.

The UK said they didn't want that deal. Didn't want to pay their fair share of what has already been committed to, didn't want a customs border with Ireland, didn't want a period of time to figure out a workable solution to the Irish border issue.

Despite Boris Johnson's upbeat nonsense, not only has he not come up with a credible alternative to the backstop, it is uncertain whether he can even get a Commons majority for any deal at all.

Stark raving mad describes the situation well enough.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Of course, the EU wants a deal. Have said as much all the way along. Even agreed to a deal.

The UK said they didn't want that deal. Didn't want to pay their fair share of what has already been committed to, didn't want a customs border with Ireland, didn't want a period of time to figure out a workable solution to the Irish border issue.

Despite Boris Johnson's upbeat nonsense, not only has he not come up with a credible alternative to the backstop, it is uncertain whether he can even get a Commons majority for any deal at all.

Stark raving mad describes the situation well enough.
The UK never said anything of the sort, the only sticking point was the backstop, however the EU are now becoming far more flexible in relation to alternatives, which is why a deal is now looking more likely.

Brexit: UK ministers talk up Irish border compromise as key to deal - The Guardian

The UK didn't vote for the backstop because the Attorney General Geoffrey Cox QC, a top Barrister (Lawyer) warned of the legal implications and that we could be trapped in a customs union, unable to make trade deals and would have no real representation or voice in relation to EU laws that we would have to adhere to.

The Attorney General offers legal advice to the Crown, Government and Parliament and when your countries own lawyer tells you not to vote for something you tend to take notice and the Attorney General was still sceptical even after the EU added some extra clauses and could not reccommend the backstop to Parliament on all three occcasions it was put before the House and subsequently defeated.

A temporary backstop was proposed but the EU wouldn't set any real timeframe in writing and just added some more vague small print,and again the Attorney General wqould not reccomend the deal.

No country on earth would have signed the backstop agreement, which takes your ability to maake trade deals away, can tie you permanently to a customs union and foreign courts and offers you no representation. A no deal would be far prefereable to the backstop.

So at least get your facts right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Sands -The Guardian

Following the adoption of the joint instrument, and a UK unilateral Declaration, the attorney general’s additional advice confirmed his earlier view. He concluded, completely correctly, that in the absence of bad faith by the EU, “the legal risk remains unchanged” that the UK could be “indefinitely and involuntarily detained within the protocol’s provisions”.

The attorney general has fulfilled his mandate, offering independence advice. It is spot on. He has properly interpreted the protocol, and understood that while it does not reflect an intention to create a permanent situation, it allows for the possibility that the situation provided for may apply indefinitely.Article 62 cannot be invoked where the circumstance that arises – the indefinite or extended application of the backstop – has been foreseen by the withdrawal agreement. Accordingly, it can offer no assistance.

The argument that it could be invoked if negotiations broke down and the backstop pertained indefinitely is hopeless. It is not even arguable. Nor is the idea that the UK could somehow adopt its own interpretation, or laws, to get around the problem. The withdrawal agreement is an international obligation which trumps domestic law.Moreover, it cannot even be said that article 62 really provides for a unilateral right of termination, as it is likely that the matter would come before the arbitral panel established under the withdrawal agreement. The arbitral panel would have to be persuaded that the extended (or even indefinite) application of the backstop was an unforeseen fundamental change of circumstance.

Philippe Sands is professor of law at University College London.

Geoffrey Cox has no grounds to change his mind on the Northern Ireland backstop - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-15-2019 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Those who claim leavers didn't no what they were voting for are wrong, as they have witnessed the direction the EU has taken over a number of decades and I became increasingly concerned in 2007 when David Miliband, the then Foreign Secretary spoke of his vision for the EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News (2007)

Foreign Secretary David Miliband has suggested the European Union should work towards including Russia, Middle Eastern and North African countries

He said the EU must "keep our promises to Turkey", adding: "If we fail.... it will signal a deep and dangerous divide between east and west.

"Beyond that we must keep the door open, retaining the incentive for change and the prospect of membership provides."

This would be a "version of the European Free Trade Association that could gradually bring the countries of the Mahgreb, the Middle East and Eastern Europe in line with the single market, not as an alternative to membership, but potentially as a step towards it".

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | EU 'should expand beyond Europe' (2007)

Old 09-15-2019, 10:53 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
According to the UK Guardian, Boris Johnson is going to tell Jean Claude Junker that he will not even discuss an extension beyond October 31, when they meet tomorrow in Brussels.

Quote:
Johnson to tell Juncker: ‘I won’t discuss Brexit extension beyond 31 October’

The prime minister is expected to tell the commission president: “We’re leaving on 31 October, come what may – so let’s work hard to get a deal in the time remaining. Some MPs have been peddling a myth that I am not serious about getting a deal. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am striving for a deal and I think we can achieve this. I will commit UK officials and my lead negotiator to work flat out to come up with a new agreement without being trapped into EU laws.”

He is expected to add: “There should be no doubt about my determination to take us out on 31 October. I will not ask for an extension. I absolutely believe that our friends in Europe want an orderly exit, so now is the time for serious talks.”

A No 10 source said there was no chance of the prime minister going cap in hand to the EU summit in mid- October. “The PM will not negotiate a delay at the Brussels council,” the source said, before suggesting there could be legal challenges.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
According to the UK Guardian, Boris Johnson is going to tell Jean Claude Junker that he will not even discuss an extension beyond October 31, when they meet tomorrow in Brussels.
Good.

It's time to just leave.

Eveyone I know is sick to the back teeth of the EU.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
I don't know how you guys even stay sane with all this unbelievable bs going on by the left.

So close to leaving - time after time, let down.

Enough of this. Just rip the fricken band-aid off and go!

*&$#@!! Globalists p*$$ me off!

Old 09-16-2019, 11:09 AM

The Government 'will comply with the law'

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said the Government will "behave lawfully" regarding Brexit. Speaking on the Today programme, he said: "The UK Government is always going to behave lawfully. I think the suggestion otherwise is nonsense. We, of course, take these considerations very seriously. At the same time, the legislation that was required, the surrender bill, is deeply, deeply flawed."

The Foreign Secretary added: "But the Government will comply with the law. It goes without saying, frankly."

Old 09-16-2019, 11:22 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
The Government 'will comply with the law'

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said the Government will "behave lawfully" regarding Brexit. Speaking on the Today programme, he said: "The UK Government is always going to behave lawfully. I think the suggestion otherwise is nonsense. We, of course, take these considerations very seriously. At the same time, the legislation that was required, the surrender bill, is deeply, deeply flawed."

The Foreign Secretary added: "But the Government will comply with the law. It goes without saying, frankly."
Well this is interesting, given the PM's repeated statements that he will not comply with the law under any circumstances. I wonder who is telling the truth.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well this is interesting, given the PM's repeated statements that he will not comply with the law under any circumstances. I wonder who is telling the truth.
To put it generously, your statement is flatly false. The Prime Minister has never said even one time that he would not comply with the law. Only that he would not request a Brexit extension beyond October 31.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:36 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
To put it generously, your statement is flatly false. The Prime Minister has never said even one time that he would not comply with the law. Only that he would not request a Brexit extension beyond October 31.
Your post is splitting hairs.

He said he would not under any circumstances request an extension.

The law requires him to request an extension under certain circumstances.

Hence the PM is essentially saying he will not comply with the law should those circumstances arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies