Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:46 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
Ok, so a policeman could kill me if I just opened the car door and went out of my car when he had stopped me on the road? And it would be without breaking any law from me? Just good sense.
Only if you are black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 07:52 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
I cant understand, if the person not attacking the cop, hand in full sight, not running away, even if he was running away. The cop live is not in danger. Then why does the cop have to kill the person.

if he running away they can catch him another day, that still doesn't give them the right to shoot them. even if the guy has a gun, it could be on the seat or even holding it. as long as its not pointed at the cop. No reason to kill him

even if the guy not obey the cop commands, if he not a threat to the cop, no right to kill him.

I was scared, doesn't fly, still no right.

I feel the guy has to raise the gun, point the gun, and fire a round before a cop can kill someone legally. I don't think the cop can make the first move. They could standoff all day.

it getting where a cop can legally shoot you if you have a legal gun, at your house, locked in the gun safe, with no ammo, thirty miles away. if you have a gun permit, they can legal shoot you.

not just shoot the kid when in seconds of arriving.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I cant understand, if the person not attacking the cop, hand in full sight, not running away, even if he was running away. The cop live is not in danger. Then why does the cop have to kill the person.

if he running away they can catch him another day, that still doesn't give them the right to shoot them. even if the guy has a gun, it could be on the seat or even holding it. as long as its not pointed at the cop. No reason to kill him

even if the guy not obey the cop commands, if he not a threat to the cop, no right to kill him.

I was scared, doesn't fly, still no right.

I feel the guy has to raise the gun, point the gun, and fire a round before a cop can kill someone legally. I don't think the cop can make the first move. They could standoff all day.

it getting where a cop can legally shoot you if you have a legal gun, at your house, locked in the gun safe, with no ammo, thirty miles away. if you have a gun permit, they can legal shoot you.

not just shoot the kid when in seconds of arriving.
To answer your question <bold> let me ask you this.
If some person killed someone and was then fleeing the scene and a cop had the chance to shoot and stop said killer but was required to "wait and catch him another day" and THEN that same person went and killed your family member or someone else's BEFORE the police had a chance to catch him again how would you feel then?
There's the rub. Do you use all means at your disposal to stop a fleeing felon up to and including deadly force right now or, (as you say) do you let the person go to possibly/probably commit more felonies before you can get to him again?

Exactly what do you tell the family members of the people this felon damaged while he was on the loose because YOU let him go the first time? Maybe you tell them "well, that killer/robber's life is worth the same or more than your innocent <insert victim here> is/was?

As to your statement "they should wait until the guy raises the gun,points the gun and fires the gun". All I can say is ARE YOU FREEKIN' NUTS?
Do you think that cops are somehow bullet proof? How's about you go sign up for a job that allows people to take the first shots at you and then come back here and comment?

No? Don't want that job? Why not???? We'll spray some bullet proofing spray on your t-shirts!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:54 AM

102 posts, read 106,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Do you understand?
Friend, I'm a retired ukrainian policeman (more than five years). I literally know about things like security and human rights on the street, especially on the night streets. I used to work on the streets, not in the chair. Basically my question was about the law in the USA. If I visited your country, the last thing I would want to do is to talk back to the local police, break the local law, or somthing like that.
Just now in Ukraine authority proposed something like your rules (post 1 of this topic), so we have a dispute in our society. I think it's not time to do it, because our people are not prepared to take this measures.
As for our common misunderstanding, if someone felt that, sorry, I'm sure we all good people in real life.

Last edited by sw1992; 09-28-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post

Action beats reaction every time. That's why cops don't wait for an armed suspect to shoot; the officer may well be shot first. If you are confronting a police officer with a weapon, you have no right to demand a chance to shoot him first. Tho in fact, he will tell you to drop it before he shoots, which may still allow a suspect to fire first -- risky enough for an LEO.

No, they cannot standoff all day. That just postpones the inevitable arrest, and prolongs the chances for a shootout.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:46 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It's not the law. It is a suggestion on how to have a positive interaction and positive outcome when encountering a traffic stop.

Driving in third world countries is remarkably different. One important difference is here police are used to generate revenue for local and state government. That is just one of many differences but it is one that if changed would go along way to improving respect for law enforcement. I've been in many 3rd world countries and what you don't see is very often is police pulling over motorist and giving them a ticket. What I have also noticed is there are fewer accidents than what we have here.
I don't know if there are statistics to prove that but it is something that I noticed. Last night I was on the road for one hour and saw 3 accidents. I have spent 3 days on the road in Lima Peru in very crowded traffic and never saw an accident or a ticket being handed out. They do have severe consequences for those that are involved in accidents especially if there are injury's or death.
The attitude about driving is much different and the term I use is they "drive by horn". That is not something that would be acceptable here IMO.
On the other hand, in Thailand, cops generate income...for themselves.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Ok, so a policeman could kill me if I just opened the car door and went out of my car when he had stopped me on the road? And it would be without breaking any law from me? Just good sense.
Almost happened to me. Young, naive driver back aroudn 1970. Got stopped for some traffic violation and I thought the best thing to do was to get out of the car and stand where the police officer could fully see me. He pulled a gun on me.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:07 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Friend, I'm a retired ukrainian policeman (more than five years). I literally know about things like security and human rights on the street, especially on the night streets. I used to work on the streets, not in the chair. Basically my question was about the law in the USA. If I visited your country, the last thing I would want to do is to talk back to the local police, break the local law, or somthing like that.
Just now in Ukraine authority proposed something like your rules (post 1 of this topic), so we have a dispute in our society. I think it's not time to do it, because our people are not prepared to take this measures.
As for our common misunderstanding, if someone felt that, sorry, I'm sure we all good people in real life.
well I apologize if you feel I was being curt, didn't mean to project that, and didn't know who you were, so I was trying to help you understand. And I say that a lot of I don't understand...
Also, we have a lot of people on here, posting that are contrary to our laws, even though they do understand them...it has been a very sad situation for a long time...

Our President chose to dismiss our laws, and side with criminals along with some of the leaders, and they actually encouraged them to riot...and left them do so? Which really sends the wrong message and has once again, divided our country.

We have a huge race problem here...on both sides of the coin, but was are also growing in lawlessness, where people think they are above the law or obeying laws...even small ones, which could lead to someone losing life, like running red lights, texting or talking on the telephone while driving...or thinking its ok to give a police office a big mouth, swearing at them, when they are stopped.

So, just so you know, I really thought, you didn't understand our laws....

I wasn't being curt, I assure you.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
I have read this extract bellow, and I'm wondering is it a official law or it's just a traditional pattern of behaviour between drivers and policemen in the USA? In my country drivers can do anything what they want when policemen stop cars on the roads. And now we have some questions about that in our society.
'If You Are stopped in Your car.
Stay Calm. Stop the car in a safe place as quickly as possible. Turn off the car, turn on the internal light, open the window part way and place your hands on the wheel... and so on.'
If anyone knows that this is a law, may I have a link to any official source?

When I learned to drive the protocol was to pull over in a safe place way off the roadway.
Turn the vehicle off.
Open the door, get out and lock the doors, and shut your door and proceed to the rear of the vehicle, with your driver license(there was not requirement for insurance paperwork)

The officer would sit in his car and on the radio until all your info comes up on the vehicle.
Then he would exit, put his hat on and meet you at the rear bumper.

If you were polite and when they ask, "do you know why I pulled you over" always say no.
The side of the road is not the place to plead your case. But always ask, if you were driving erratic, reckless, or dangerous, after he tells you you were speeding, or what ever the infraction.
1/2 the time when I did this, I only got a warning.

Today if I did that, I might have a weapon pulled on me as soon as my door popped open.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When I learned to drive the protocol was to pull over in a safe place way off the roadway.
Turn the vehicle off.
Open the door, get out and lock the doors, and shut your door and proceed to the rear of the vehicle, with your driver license(there was not requirement for insurance paperwork)

The officer would sit in his car and on the radio until all your info comes up on the vehicle.
Then he would exit, put his hat on and meet you at the rear bumper.

If you were polite and when they ask, "do you know why I pulled you over" always say no.
The side of the road is not the place to plead your case. But always ask, if you were driving erratic, reckless, or dangerous, after he tells you you were speeding, or what ever the infraction.
1/2 the time when I did this, I only got a warning.

Today if I did that, I might have a weapon pulled on me as soon as my door popped open.
yes, your correct Bentbow, but unfortunately time changes things and we have been thrown into a whole different world...like it or not, which some people have very rudely reminded me off, calling me names for my beliefs, and true core feelings...however, it is what it is...and we'd all be very wise to accept.

I just watched a video of some very beautiful little 7 year old black girl, crying in front of I suppose the Senate? She said she grew up in Charlotte, and pleaded in tears that they stop killing black people.

The only problem with that is, she is parroting what her parents beliefs are, her aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters...she is being programmed to fear, and to believe in racism. I felt so bad for her....

My 14 year old grand daughter had a close friend in school, she invited her to come over for a sleep over, and my grand daughter's parents called her friends parents...she was not allowed to come over, b/c my Grand daughter is not Muslim. That really hurt her....and probably was her first introduction to race and or religion. Kids do not see color until someone points it out to them....

Yes, we are in a sad state of affairs, when a country starts to fall apart like we are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies