Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed

Yep, the white male in 21st century America is so downtrodden

And by extension, since minorities in America are typically better off under the oppressive thumb of the white man than they are in countries where "their people" make up the majority...... the same can be said, "yep, POC in 21st century America are so downtrodden?"

Even the much maligned black community in the United States is basically the most successful, prosperous (significant) population of black people in the world.

But it's all relative, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 06:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
It seems that in these days the word "racist" is thrown around more so than ever. It appears to me it is being misused and interpreted incorrectly. So is there an epidemic of racism or do most people just have a prejudice towards someone or some thing? Here's My take:
  • Nazi Germany: Racist
  • KKK: Racist
  • Imperial Japan: Racist
  • Skin Heads: Racist
Vs
  • Not liking Hip Hop or Rap: prejudice
  • Not liking Sagging Pants: prejudice
  • Not liking the way someone speaks: prejudice
  • Not liking Muslims: prejudice
  • Not liking what country someone is from: prejudice
  • Not liking how someone conducts themselves: prejudice
Not liking someone solely because they're Muslim is racist and/or prejudice (how can you not like someone if you don't know them?).

All of the other things you listed as "prejudice" aren't really examples of prejudice (in a racial context), they are just characteristics you may not like, regardless of the race of the person exhibiting them.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:48 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not liking someone solely because they're Muslim is racist and/or prejudice (how can you not like someone if you don't know them?).

All of the other things you listed as "prejudice" aren't really examples of prejudice (in a racial context), they are just characteristics you may not like, regardless of the race of the person exhibiting them.

Even a flat out Islamaphobe is not "racist" by definition, because Islam is not a race, and people of all races can be Muslim.

On the other hand, I am anti-Islam just the way I am anti-fascist and anti-Communist. I don't feel those ideologies and belief systems lead to positive outcomes and are oppressive in practice. So, while I won't necessarily dislike an individual someone for being Muslim/Communist/Fascist... I am vehemently against their ideology and any attempts that person would make to advance, normalize or gain acceptance and influence for their chosen ideology.

Is that an example of prejudice? If so, oh well.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Bingo!

I guess the apartheid era South African whites were not racist since they were a minority.

Will there be no more racism when whites are less than half the population?

Old 09-28-2016, 11:30 AM

524 posts, read 400,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess the apartheid era South African whites were not racist since they were a minority.

Will there be no more racism when whites are less than half the population?
I called this about 10 years ago; whites will be classified as minority-majority and still be racist.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 PM

431 posts, read 257,190 times
Quote:

As the word prejudice comes from the term pre-judge (as someone noted earlier), the example I gave in references to "not liking" certain things was a loose use of words to make my point that the word "racist" is used incorrectly. If I pre-judge someone that listens to say rap music or sags their pants and they happen to be black or even white for that matter, I will pre-judge that they are most likely to have a criminal record, smoke weed, drink 40's, and have a higher chance of car jacking me (bare with me). I may be completely wrong on that assessment and accused of stereotyping or racial profiling, but in my view that is not an issue that government legislation can fix, it starts with the family upbringing and what morals you are taught. So if I don't like the way a person is, I don't believe that is racism. I believe that is prejudice and legislation can not change one's opinion. Although popular culture and the media certainly try.

As far as Muslims are concerned, being a Muslim is not a race. It is a religion. If I pre-judge a Muslim for being a terrorist I am not basing that on their race, I would be basing that on the fact that the vast majority of terrorist are Muslim extremist. These are modern day facts and can be not justified by other historical events that occurred in human history. We are dealing with todays issues.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:27 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Racism-having a definite, unwavering opinion of someone based on their race. The inability to believe good things about someone based on their race.

Prejudice-common sense precaution based on past experience. Commonly misinterpreted as "racism" by liberals and other idiots who speak before they think.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:34 PM

431 posts, read 257,190 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Even a flat out Islamaphobe is not "racist" by definition, because Islam is not a race, and people of all races can be Muslim.

On the other hand, I am anti-Islam just the way I am anti-fascist and anti-Communist. I don't feel those ideologies and belief systems lead to positive outcomes and are oppressive in practice. So, while I won't necessarily dislike an individual someone for being Muslim/Communist/Fascist... I am vehemently against their ideology and any attempts that person would make to advance, normalize or gain acceptance and influence for their chosen ideology.

Is that an example of prejudice? If so, oh well.

I think it is, and I think you have everything right to think that without someone calling you a racist.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:18 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Racism-having a definite, unwavering opinion of someone based on their race. The inability to believe good things about someone based on their race.

Prejudice-common sense precaution based on past experience. Commonly misinterpreted as "racism" by liberals and other idiots who speak before they think.
Nope. User below got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Here's what the two words actually mean:

Majority population using government power and social influence to peddle bigotry: racist
Minority population that can't use government power and social influence to peddle bigotry: prejudiced

Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 PM

524 posts, read 400,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Nope. User below got it right.
Further proof that definitions are subjective to most. I am a Clinical Social Work student and those are not the definitions that are taught or promoted in order to serve marginalized populations. And did I mention that I am a social worker?

If something feels racist is must be. That's how most interpret it now anyway. No need to argue with someone about their feelings, that's a losing battle. Better to figure out where the evidence of the offense lies, than to adhere to a label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies