Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 10:05 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
When Colin Kaepernick takes a knee, this is what he's doing it for.

Video Shows Carolina Cop Violently Arrest Black Man For Sitting On His Porch | Huffington Post
I can't even watch the rest of it. it is too upsetting.. disgusting.. this cop needs to chill.. what the hell.. this is gross.. fire the cop.
I also have to say, this happens to white people too. They are surprised to actually be taken down for nothing .. it is bad cops, not saying all cops are like this to just blacks.. I have some very militant cops stop me and it was no picnic how they talked to me.

This situation was brought on by the cop.. he should have walked over to the neighbors house to verify the guy lived there and left .

Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Two points.

1. I seriously doubt you have any black friends. Maybe black people you know, but not friends that would talk about such things with you if they had experienced them. And these things do vary by police department. There are cultures within departments, just like within communities, and companies.

2. It doesn't matter what color the cop is. Or even the victim. What matters is the ongoing abuse of authority, and subsequent coverups.

The BLM folks, who I personally cannot stand because they approach things all wrong, have their points. Every cop should have a body cam. Because this stuff happens. Not just to black people, but to us white people as well. Ask that dead rancher's family in Idaho, or the guy who had his six year old shot. The cop in that second case had been threatening the victim's father for some time.

It's typical of you authoritarian types to stick up for egregious behavior like this. And to deny that racism or sexism still exists.
1) Well who really knows how many black friends either of us have, other than what we claim. I live in a very diverse city with more browns than whites, and every other color under the rainbow. So the majority of my friends are brown, second white, third black and fourth yellow.
That is right, I even have a few yellow friends as well. I also do not consider cyber people friends as I am not a social media guy. No, these are people I've gone out with to bars/eaterys/ball games and had real face to face conversations with. Playing on a team together tends to make different people meet and socialize more so than the general public.

About the only thing you said that is accurate is that there are "cultures" within various departments, and those can be both good and bad.

2) I tend to agree. However it was not I who injected race, rather I was responding to those who want to equate anything white cops do involving minorities, as racially motivated. If cops cross the line, it is with every type of race, religion, gender, etc.
As to the "thin blue line" mentality, cops have traditionally felt an us vs. them dynamic because the average law abiding citizen has no clue what evil men do. Yet they face it every day, especially big city cops who deal with those who hate cops, because cops to them equal prison. Now with this current culture of looking to arm chair quarterback their every action, and groups of people like BLM calling for the killing of cops, the aforementioned dynamic will only get worse.
Can you really blame them?

I don't know why you went off the rails regarding Idaho or the 6 year old, as I have not commented on those situations.

As to being an "authoritarian type", I might be guilty as charged based on your definition. I do feel as if I am a law & Order type of guy in most instances, yet I detest the idea of government over reaching via an Orwellian future. Still we need those who will enforce the laws of a civil society. Without local police, things will devolve into street justice, which would be much worse. I assure you the people who depend on the police the most are the poor folks who are trapped in the urban ghettos. Statistical studies have shown that a disproportionate amount of LE & EMS resources go into those neighborhoods.

Lastly, I never said racism/sexism or any other ____ism does not exist. I think it will always exist because humans are tribal by nature. However I do not accept that just because someone raised with a grievance mentality, they can walk around with a chip on their shoulder and not be called out for it.
In some ways I pity people who (when things don't go right for them) assume the problem is never internal, rather always external. They seems to always suspect or directly blame their troubles on the various ____isms.
This incident does not seem racial to me, but it obviously does to others who look through a myopic lens.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:45 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Stereotypes are the results of weak minds.
Stereotypes are the result of superior minds. T That's why marketing companies spent billion of dollars looking for the buying patterns of a certain demographic. Taco Bell want to know who goes to a drive thought at 1 AM. That's why lip stick is a female stereotypes.

Maybe that way some of you are so poor and confused. Pattern recognition has saved me a ton of money. I did not think that the Rail boom in the 19th century was some sort of economic stereotype. I did not get caught up in the Tech or the housing bubble. That was how I would win chess games....pattern recognition...

The only time not to use "stereotypes" is when you have specific information. However that means investing more time and research. If its not my priority then I can going with the odds. That is what a powerful and useful mind does.

Perhaps some of you should realize that when your mother said you were special, it was from the stereotypical point of view of a mother. But hey let not stereotype , not all mothers think their children are special.

Even criminals are not as stupid as social justice warriors. They profile by race and sex all the time.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-am...asions-n261086

Ya know what really kills me? Bloomingdale had an advertisement for a gold ring on that link, probably because they knew Indians would be reading that article.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 10-02-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-02-2016, 11:15 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"the police escalated the situation because they are programmed to undervalue African Americans."

You REALLY do need to get a life!
I do have a life, thank you. You my friend, need to open your eyes...

Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
When NFL ratings start to plummet, this forced political angle being shoved down people's throats is one of the reasons why. Do not bite the hand that is feeding you tens of millions of dollars.

How does the saying go..."if you don't like it, don't watch it"? Well guess what many folks are doing...
Football is the king in sports entertainment in America. The audience isn't' going anywhere... After the Rooney Rule was implemented there's a specific reason all those crybabies didn't migrate over to Nascar..

Old 10-02-2016, 11:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Stereotypes are the result of superior minds. T That's why marketing companies spent billion of dollars looking for the buying patterns of a certain demographic. Taco Bell want to know who goes to a drive thought at 1 AM. That's why lip stick is a female stereotypes.
That's not an example of a stereotype. That's an example of marketing. If a large percentage of your customers are between 25-40 and you target them, that is not a stereotype.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:46 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
It is not a black and white issue.. whites are killed as well by hair trigger police.. they need to be rooted out.

There are good cops and bad. A dead white guy ..

Unarmed White Man Shot By Police: No Riots, Al Sharpton Silent, Obama Keeps Golfing

I still defend the police. It is the bad ones that need to go.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is not a black and white issue.. whites are killed as well by hair trigger police.. they need to be rooted out.

There are good cops and bad. A dead white guy ..

Unarmed White Man Shot By Police: No Riots, Al Sharpton Silent, Obama Keeps Golfing

I still defend the police. It is the bad ones that need to go.
When unarmed white men are killed by police or when their civil rights are violated black Democrats are against it. The same can be said for the other way around. You can look at many of the posts in this thread and see what I'm talking about.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:00 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That's not an example of a stereotype. That's an example of marketing. If a large percentage of your customers are between 25-40 and you target them, that is not a stereotype.
So you think people between 25-40 act stereotypically.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:16 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I have not read any other posts so as to give my view without knowing what other peoples perspectives are.
That said, I do not accept you trying to conflate the Gates arrest with this one, as the two are completely separate issues. I also do not accept you trying to justify or explain Kaepernicks disrespect toward America and the 9/11 victims based on this encounter.

I will start out by saying that up until about the 8 minute mark everything seemed fairly routine in the interaction between police and the suspect. I do refer to him as a suspect, because the police didn't just happen to stop and find him, they received a call from someone saying a suspicious man was doing something with a shovel, therefore the police already suspect something might not be right with this guy. I will also note that the suspect having prison tats and the cop noticing this heightens the suspicion level.
The cop tries to empathize with the guys story, and even is heard laughing with him.
In my view the trouble starts when the guy again tries to leave despite having been told to not attempt to go to the guys house (Charlie) next door, and the cop who is standing on the steps puts his hand out to prevent him from going any further. He tells the guy to sit back down, and the guy begins to have a change of attitude.
Then the guy makes a huge mistake by calling a friend and asking for them to come to the scene because the police are harassing him. As an individual I'd never have done that as it will only escalate the tension between myself and the cop.
From the cops perspective, he now wants to prevent any further attempts to have this guy have other friends of his head toward the house.

Now the first question I have for you, is if you were the cop in this situation, would you want this guy calling his friends to come to the scene?
If not then you obviously would demand he turn over his phone. The suspect obviously refused to hand it over and that is when everything escalated. . Under normal circumstances cops probably do not have the need or maybe even the authority to take someones phone who has not committed a crime. However that clearly changed when this guy calls his friend to come over.

As I watched the rest of the video, it was hard to tell what exactly was going on. The cop regardless of the physical arrest kept jawing back and forth with the suspect, which was an error in my view. He should only have stated commands and expected the guy to comply. By jawing back and forth, it only served to keep the tension high because the suspect was belligerent and it served to make him more so.

Now, regardless of whether the guy should have been arrested or not for refusing to turn over his phone and pulling it away from the cops grasp is one thing. We can 2nd guess whether the cop could have verbally commanded the guy to put his phone down, and if the guy complied, maybe none of this would have played out this way.
We can also wonder if the suspect had kept his seat and just let the cops do their job without trying to leave the area, or call his friend to come over, maybe none of this would have happened.

In my view both could have handled the situation better to avoid the physical arrest. Frankly, I do not see a racial component to this as I suspect if the cop were black and the suspect were white, this still could have happened if both acted in the same manner. Many a white suspect gets punched or injured when scuffling with the police.

With all that said, I'd like to know what the end result of the story is, regarding whether this guy should have been at that location. The article made it sound like no charges were filed against the suspect, which leads you to believe it was ok for him to be there. It also made it sound like the cop was stripped of his credentials to be a LEO.
Even if the cop was fired, I would be surprised they would attempt to take his ability to work away for this one incident. Neither he nor the guy were seriously hurt. So for the cop to lose his career over this one incident seems suspicious. Either he had a jacket full of incidents showing too much aggression, or it was a politically motivated action against him.
Anyone know or have a reasoned view on why he was dealt with so harshly?
Bolded excuse above. Cop supporters harp this all the time. But the question is, which one has been trained to de-escalate these encounters? Why should taxpayers continue to spend $millions on training that changes nothing with these bullies and turds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies