Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:09 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
We know that lavish funding of public schools does not improve learning outcomes. It's been tried.

America's Most Costly Educational Failure | Cato Institute
Cinder block is hardly lavish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Mostly because they can't agree on what would improve education and too many are more focused upon what is PC instead of what is actually useful.
First intelligent post in the thread.

Yes, there are so many variables to teaching and learning that it is difficult to improve education because there is not a one size fits all solution.

Education issues will never be solved by politicians.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't know about you guys, but watching this election and other political stuff going on is killing my brain cells.

We all know that we benefit from an educated society, I think watching what we call idiots make political decisions impacts us more than we realize. And decisions outside of politics, like driving drunk or not taking care of their house (therefore hurting your house's value).

Now I am not going to say anyone who disagrees with me politically is a moron, people can be coherent and literate individuals while disagreeing with me... And while I do believe most fault lies with the parents who probably are not spending time with their young kids teaching them and helping their minds grow, we can work on improving the public school system. This should not be a politically-charged issue, our kids' futures, should not be so politically-charged but it is for some reason. Given that most people cannot afford fancy-pansy private school, we should be working on the public school system since their vote (those being failed by the public school system) will be worth just as much as yours.

Usually it is Republicans who don't want to do anything about the education system. I don't know why because it is all of our kids, it affects all of us, as these kids can grow up to commit crime, become a politician, become a CEO, they are America's future. Who does not want to see a better future for America? I see a lot of schools, and teachers too even, fall well below their value and become poor, run-down, tired and cannot support OUR future because no one seems to want to pitch in for an educated society which WE ALL benefit from.

Highly-educated people are more likely to make better health decisions, better economical decisions, usually have less kids (we are overpopulated), etc. We should be encouraging and favoring education, not the opposite which is creating the monstrosity of a country we are starting to see.

Don't you guys agree, that America can have a better educational system? But it would take funding and hard-work for a great educational reform, but no one wants to put in the work to improve America. Americans seem to only care about getting their piece of the cake, without thinking about if their kids will ever get a piece of the cake either.
Republicans don't want truckloads of cash dumped into schools with the thought of money fixes everything, because most of it would be completely wasted.

We could fix our education system, but the liberals and teachers unions would oppose it.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Cinder block is hardly lavish.

Read the link I posted.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Well I missed stillwatertownie's post, probably for good reason, the last thing we need is to bring the church and state together. Pretty sure that's what created America in the first place, since most future Americans moved here to escape religious prosecution for not being part of the Church of England.

Religion has definitely held education back, historically and today. Proof of that relies on the creationism, the earth being flat (many Muslims fall here), the year Earth was created, anti-vax, the denial of climate change, denial of evolution, etc. Religion constantly interferes with many advancements in all subjects due to "controversial" topics interfering with religious doctrine, luckily most of this is historically with Christianity but not so with other religions. It includes fiction books, history (yes, how history was written to a T), science mostly, and math.
This is ironic, considering your own religious devotion to the myth of human equality, and how it prevents you from even beginning to understand this topic.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:57 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Quote:
This is ironic, considering your own religious devotion to the myth of human equality, and how it prevents you from even beginning to understand this topic.

You have to be trolling, come on now.

Religious devotion.... to wanting equity for all American citizens? That's baffling. I oughta tell all the non-racists that they are super-religious now.

How does this religion work? Do I worship a man in the sky who tells me to treat others equally, to help the poor, etc.? Wait, this is starting to sound like Christianity...

Old 10-04-2016, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Republicans don't want truckloads of cash dumped into schools with the thought of money fixes everything, because most of it would be completely wasted.

We could fix our education system, but the liberals and teachers unions would oppose it.
Then what do you propose? Privatizing will only hurt the poor even more, last I checked you don't get to choose if you are born rich or poor, and that should not be standing in the way of becoming educated or to fix one's situation.

So I don't want to hear privatizing the education system, that won't work. There are ways to create education reform without more spending I assume, rearranging the system should work.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
America spends more money per student than any other country. Clearly dumping loads of money isn't a fix. The system needs to be reworked from the ground up.
Doesn't always have to be more funding. It's about changing the system I agree. So what do you propose that doesn't mean spending more money per kid?

A few others have said this, so I'd love to hear some other ideas.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Religious devotion.... to wanting equity for all American citizens?
No, to the notion that equality exists, that all human groups are of equal ability and should achieve equal outcomes in education. You have faith in this. You assume it despite the complete lack of evidence. It is essentially a religious belief.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
No, to the notion that equality exists, that all human groups are of equal ability and should achieve equal outcomes in education. You have faith in this. You assume it despite the complete lack of evidence. It is essentially a religious belief.
I think you are confused. Try looking up the definition of religion and see how in any way shape or form that relates to human equity and get back to me. Of course you are only here to troll and talk nonsense instead of actually talking about education. I'm not going to tolerate racist commentary nor am I going to waste my time talking to morons who think wanting human equity is the exact same thing as being a religious extremist. By the way, it's religious extremists who are usually the racist and sexist ones.

"All men are created equal" it's about time we start treating people that way. Some need more help than others in the education system and they are usually in things like pods or tracking which is fine. And that is called EQUITY for all. Maybe you should google what equity means too because that's what I'm referring to. Different processes to adapt to different needs to produce EQUAL OUTCOMES. Give the people who were oppressed until 60 years ago the proper foundation and things will change. Some of the old people on here probably remember the Jim Crow laws of the 50s and early 60s. They weren't that long ago really.

I believe people of any race have the potential to achieve just as much as the other, the differences are pure intelligence and mental illness which doesn't abide by ethnic illness. To say POC don't have the ability to perform as well as whites is without a doubt racist and is not even an excuse refusing to acknowledge that the current education system is crap. Apparently we can just push all the blame on people of different cultures and skin tones so we can get out of an uncomfortable topic which is caring about other people in our society.

Saying minorities don't perform like the majority is not an excuse to say education reform isn't possible to create better outcomes. It's racist nonsense.

Only posts about education from here on out. I love how the alt-right loses things to talk about so they settle for talking about race and religion instead of the actual topic at hand. Class act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies