Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 12:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
The coast was only 20 or 30 miles away from a catastrophic event. "Hype" is sometimes the only thing that will convince people to evacuate.
Looks like the entire State will avoid a land-fall, so the luck was on our side.

The Sheriff was on the radio yesterday talking about some people in trailer parks by the beach refusing to leave, and he said he called for more body-bags. In the past they have asked the refusers to write their name and SS on their arms to make body identification easier.

The truth is that if the eyewall had hit those trailers, they would have been tossed in the air, and the occupants would have been killed. It is not hype, it is being realistic about the probabilities. It is not fair to the first responders having to risk their lives to save the stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 12:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,191,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Sheriff was on the radio yesterday talking about some people in trailer parks by the beach refusing to leave, and he said he called for more body-bags.
My parents live in a mobile home half a mile from the beach and they evacuated to the Gulf Coast Wednesday. They just returned and have no damage and the electricity is on, so they dodged a bullet.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:26 PM

21,506 posts, read 10,630,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJ13 View Post
I don't necessarily believe its politically driven. Maybe the just say it will be worse than it really is to cover their own asses. They've been doing it in the north east with snow storms for a few years.
It's ratings driven. And I also think the meteorologists think if they don't say it's going to be bad and then it turns out to be bad, they will get blamed. I remember a couple of years ago it had been raining pretty frequently for about a month in parts of Texas, and then a heavy rainstorm hit that wasn't predicted to be as bad as they thought and the rivers were already swollen because of the prior rain, and then several people were killed by the river floods around Wimberly on Memorial Day weekend. A family from Corpus Christi was in a rented cabin that weekend. They thought they could just move their cars to higher ground and ride out the storm in the cabin since it was elevated on pillars, but the centuries-old trees upriver were uprooted and coming down the river very fast and knocked that house off it's pillars and into the water. All died but one person. It was horrific.

The same storm hit the Houston area a couple of hours later and flooded a lot of areas, and several people died in the high waters on the roads. The meteorologists were vilified for not giving better warnings, then over-corrected in the next storm and people stayed home from work and nothing happened. I remember them standing in a flooded parking lot (the only one they could find and it barely went past the soles of their shoes). Of course, that meant the next storm people ignored them.

It's a thankless job sometimes.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:31 PM

30,387 posts, read 23,854,690 times
If you're going to call me "stupid" and twist my words around in a rep comment, have the damn cojones to sign it.

Feel free to identify yourself, coward.

And also feel free to go back and read what was written. Whether you like it or not, the media is absolutely to blame. Know what you're talking about before you blow your hot air at me again.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:32 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,454,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
Your article doesn't support your assumption.

It states the following:

With its only mention of a response from the people as:

That is, it does not state they are asking for help (or that numerous people are calling or dreading their decisions to stay), merely reporting an occurrence to which this report takes no means to verify or validate the extent of the comment.

If you look at the data, the Cat 3 level of the storm is focused around the NE area of the EYE while the coast is experiencing tropical storm level winds as it passes with the EYE being away form the coast.

The fact is, government and media are sensationalizing this storm, as they did during Sandy as well.

That is not to say people should not be cautious, but the claims of this being some catastrophic event is nothing more than politics desperately seeking to find a means to break the 4001 day hurricane drought the US has had.

People need to wake up, read intelligently, act with caution and wisdom rather than waiting with baited breath for an ignorant and devious media and government to direct them. After all, all the information on this storm is easily accessible to anyone who is willing to put the effort and isn't as dumb as a rock. There is no need to use the media as a news source for things like this.
I agree--however..I have an alternate explanation as to why the Govt. over-sensationalizes these things--it is hard to plan for the worse...often the worst does not happen, and people feel indifferent to warnings about things that seem to never happen. If not for the over-dramatization, more people would act stupid and under-estimate nature.

The media, the media just wants ratings--more drama=more watchers.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:35 PM

89,348 posts, read 45,082,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
My parents live in a mobile home half a mile from the beach and they evacuated to the Gulf Coast Wednesday. They just returned and have no damage and the electricity is on, so they dodged a bullet.
Very happy for them, and you.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM

15,567 posts, read 10,560,884 times
"The deplorables are starting to wonder if govt has been lying to them about Hurricane Matthew intensity to make exaggerated point on climate"

He doesn't say He is starting to wonder, he says the deplorables are. We really don't know how He feels. Today, his front page has every storm headline imaginable. The media does tend to hype things up, nothing like making a good story even larger. No one really knows what all is going to happen with these storms. With this one, it looks like the flooding is going to be bad, everyone stay safe.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:21 PM

30,387 posts, read 23,854,690 times
Quote:
It was a Cat-1 with 80 mph winds and killed 6 people, so yes, we paid attention to it even thought it was only a Cat-1.

What? It was a Cat-5 in the Gulf, and then weakened to Cat 2 before hitting Broward county. Everyone paid attention. It nearly tore off our roof, and out knocked the power for 2 weeks. Trees down everywhere.

Some people pay attention, but do nothing, and they are on their own.
Like I said, before the storm, not after, I know everyone paid attention after, as I stated again in my post, that is all you heard for days after were people calling in and crying to the radio dj that they didn't have the very basics. Why didn't they have the very basics? Because they thought it was going to be nothing just like last time, and the time before that, and the time before that.

Their mindset was a) the media always hypes up storms, in the past they've gone and bought their stuff, nothing ever happened, they wasted their money so they don't listen the next time.

And for every dumbass who wants to leave an insult in my rep, you have no idea how the people in South Florida laugh these storms off. They literally laugh about them because so many storms have been played up by media to be this next big thing, the 'cone of death' is hyped up on media for days on end...and then nothing happens. Yes, they laugh.

b) they actually believe that whatever they do need, the government can be there in a half an hour after the storm is over.

That was the huge complaint during Wilma. As you know, since you also went through it, there was a lot of damage, there were a lot of trees down all over preventing people from getting around, power lines down preventing people from getting around...so all of those trucks that had supplies "love: the government" were stuck because they could not get through all of the debris, AND, there was an issue with gas as many stations did not have generators (according to radio djs, that was one reason they couldn't get down to S. FL as fast as people screaming for them).

It was, LITERALLY, an hour and a half after the storm when I turned on my radio and listened to people complaining about the government not being there, "my baby doesn't have any formula, why aren't they here helping us". That is not even an exaggeration because I was writing a hand written letter to a friend documenting everything after my first "real" hurricane, (Katrina was not "real" in Florida), and I made a point to notate the time.

"No one paid attention" is not meant to be literally every last person in the entire state, it is meant to signify a majority. Yes, some people did. The majority? No.

I walked up to the water line the following day just to see what it was. I'd never experienced that before, so wanted to check it out. I had plenty of water at home. First thing I noticed was the long, long line of cars. They're sitting in this ridiculously long line.....with their engines running. People were running out of gas while waiting in line for water, one day after the hurricane. One. Day. And then many gas stations weren't even open, the ones that were also had crazy long lines because people "no one" did anything before the storm. Why? They thought the media was hyping it up again...just like last time, and the other time, and the time before that, etc.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:27 PM

47,038 posts, read 26,131,194 times
Quote:
Looks like the entire State will avoid a land-fall, so the luck was on our side.
And now the people who decided to roll the dice will slap themselves on the back for being so smart, ignore the next warning, and the next, and the next, until statistics catch up.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 PM

47,038 posts, read 26,131,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It was, LITERALLY, an hour and a half after the storm when I turned on my radio and listened to people complaining about the government not being there, "my baby doesn't have any formula, why aren't they here helping us". That is not even an exaggeration because I was writing a hand written letter to a friend documenting everything after my first "real" hurricane, (Katrina was not "real" in Florida), and I made a point to notate the time.
That's actually such a well-known phenomenon, FEMA stresses it when training their response crews. Do not expect anything resembling gratitude or even basic politeness. People will look for someone beyond themselves to blame and it's very likely going to be the help crews taking the brunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies