Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:46 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'm not a bible thumper and don't believe that religion and politics should blend.

I'm a republican voter.

I'm conservative.

and i hate organized religion which is dogma.

however i have a "christian" foundation which I believe is superior to most all religions because it gives mankind a basis to live by which is peaceful and accepting.

Hahahahah! That's a good one! Too bad so there are so many examples of violence, death and destruction carried out in the name of "christ".

Last edited by BC1960; 10-11-2016 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
He forgot, "hates gays and is a religious fanatic." I'm pretty sure that's a requirement to be a republican these days.

I guess I'm not a republican. I stand for the Constitution and have done the oath thing several times for various positions. But I'm for abortion and I'm gay, and I don't believe in deity, so I guess when the war comes I'll be somewhere in the middle sniping at all sides.

Hey why don't we start a new party called "Moderates." That would be for people who believe in low taxes, small government, unrestricted right to bear arms and freedom of speech, universal health care, women's right to do what they want with their bodies, religious people's right to believe what they want, so long as they aren't hateful or violent about it. A party for people who think the US ought to mind our own business and spend our money at home, and for people who think we've let in enough foreigners and it's time to shut the door.

You know, like, a party of people exercising common sense.

Ahh, never gonna happen.

Wrong! You are speaking of the far, far right. I don't hate gays and am not a religious fanatic nor are most Republicans. I don't however condone gay marriage in the traditional sense but a civil union if they so choose.

I am pro-life, and anti-illegal immigration. A woman's body isn't just her own when there is a life growing in it. I don't oppose legal immigration in reasonable numbers that we can accommodate without it negatively impacting our own citizen's needs and rights. Immigrants should be screened for possible terrorism also.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:19 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Hahahahah! That's a good one! Too bad so there are so many examples of violence, death and destruction carried out in the name of "christ".

Those radical Muslim terrorists don't believe in Christ and there is no epidemic of Christians who commit violent acts against other humans.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:27 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Smaller Government / strong national defense / individual liberties and responsibilities / fiscal conservatism (meaning limited taxation and government spending) / Tolerance &Inclusiveness

From its inception in 1854 and from its earliest stands against the oppressive institution of slavery, the Republican Party has defined itself as the protector of individual freedom.

I can say I am a principled Republican / conservative who is also a Millennial.

Have to love city data, I've never known Republicans in real life hate gays. Matter of fact, most of them have this type of attitude " I don't care what others do in their private lives, none of my business. I don't support it, I am not against it, it is just NONE OF MY BUSINESS
"

Old 10-11-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those radical Muslim terrorists don't believe in Christ and there is no epidemic of Christians who commit violent acts against other humans.

Really?

"Heitman and Hagan identify the Inquisition, Crusades, Wars of Religion and antisemitism as being "among the most notorious examples of Christian violence".[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE] To this list, J. Denny Weaver adds, "warrior popes, support for capital punishment, corporal punishment under the guise of 'spare the rod and spoil the child,' justifications of slavery, world-wide colonialism in the name of conversion to Christianity, the systemic violence of women subjected to men.""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_violence

"Contemporary American Christian terrorism can be motivated by a violent desire to implement a Reconstructionist or Dominionist ideology.[SIZE=2][97][/SIZE] Dominion Theology insists that Christians are called by God to (re)build society on Christian values to subjugate the earth and establish dominion over all things, as a pre-requisite for the second coming of Christ.[SIZE=2][98][/SIZE] Political violence motivated by dominion theology is a violent extension of the desire to impose a select version of Christianity on other Christians, as well as on non-Christians.
After 1981, members of groups such as the Army of God began attacking abortion clinics and doctors across the United States.[SIZE=2][99][/SIZE][SIZE=2][100][/SIZE][SIZE=2][101][/SIZE] A number of terrorist attacks were attributed by Bruce Hoffman to individuals and groups with ties to the Christian Identity and Christian Patriot movements, including the Lambs of Christ.[SIZE=2][102][/SIZE] A group called Concerned Christians was deported from Israel on suspicion of planning to attack holy sites in Jerusalem at the end of 1999; they believed that their deaths would "lead them to heaven".[SIZE=2][103][/SIZE][SIZE=2][104][/SIZE]
Eric Robert Rudolph carried out the Centennial Olympic Park bombing in 1996, as well as subsequent attacks on an abortion clinic and a lesbian nightclub. Michael Barkun, a professor at Syracuse University, considers Rudolph to likely fit the definition of a Christian terrorist. James A. Aho, a professor at Idaho State University, argues that religious considerations inspired Rudolph only in part.[SIZE=2][105][/SIZE]
Terrorism scholar Aref M. Al-Khattar has listed The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord (CSA), Defensive Action, the Montana Freemen, and some "Christian militia" as groups that "can be placed under the category of far-right-wing terrorism" that "has a religious (Christian) component".[SIZE=2][106][/SIZE]
In 1996 three men—Charles Barbee, Robert Berry and Jay Merelle—were charged with two bank robberies and bombings at the banks, a Spokane newspaper, and a Planned Parenthood office in Washington State. The men were anti-Semitic Christian Identity theorists who believed that God wanted them to carry out violent attacks and that such attacks would hasten the ascendancy of the Aryan race.[SIZE=2][107][/SIZE]
In 2011, analyst Daryl Johnson of the United States Department of Homeland Security said that the Hutaree Christian militia movement possessed more weapons than the combined weapons holdings of all Islamic terror defendants charged in the US since the September 11 attacks.[SIZE=2][108][/SIZE]
In 2015, Robert Doggart, a 63 year old mechanical engineer, was indicted for solicitation to commit a civil rights violation by intending to damage or destroy religious property after communicating that he intended to amass weapons to attack a Muslim enclave in Delaware County, New York.[SIZE=2][109][/SIZE] Doggart, a member of several private militia groups, communicated to an FBI source in a phone call that he had an M4 carbine with "500 rounds of ammunition" that he intended to take to the Delaware County enclave, along with a handgun, molotov cocktails and a machete. The FBI source recorded him saying "if it gets down to the machete, we will cut them to shreds."[SIZE=2][110][/SIZE] Doggart had previously travelled to a site in Dover, Tennessee described in chain emails as a "jihadist training camp", and found that the claims were wrong. Doggart pleaded guilty in an April plea bargain stating he had “willfully and knowingly sent a message in interstate commerce containing a true threat†to injure someone. The plea bargain was struck down by a judge because it did not contain enough facts to constitute a true threat.[SIZE=2][111][/SIZE][SIZE=2][112][/SIZE] Doggart stood as an independent candidate in Tennessee's 4th congressional district, losing with 6.4% of the vote.[SIZE=2][113][/SIZE] He has a number of degrees from a degree mill and an ordination from an ordination mill. Various Muslim groups have declared Doggart a terrorist, though none of the charges against him are terrorism related.[SIZE=2][114][/SIZE][SIZE=2][115][/SIZE][SIZE=2][116][/SIZE][SIZE=2][117][/SIZE]

In November 2015, Robert Lewis Dear killed three and injured nine at the Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, Colorado.[SIZE=2][118][/SIZE] Dear voiced on several occasions his support for radical Christian views and interpretations of the Bible, and praised people who attacked abortion providers, saying they were doing "God's work." He also described members of the Army of God, a loosely organized group of anti-abortion Christian extremists that has claimed responsibility for a number of killings and bombings, as heroes.[SIZE=2][119][/SIZE] In May 1991, Dear was arrested and convicted in Charleston, for the unlawful carrying of a "long blade knife" and illegal possession of a loaded gun.[SIZE=2][120][/SIZE] A woman who was married to Dear from 1985 to 1993 told NBC News that Dear had targeted a Planned Parenthood clinic before, by putting glue on its locks, and had a history of violent behavior. In the court document for their 1993 divorce, his ex-wife said, "He claims to be a Christian and is extremely evangelistic, but does not follow the Bible in his actions. He says that as long as he believes he will be saved, he can do whatever he pleases. He is obsessed with the world coming to an end.""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Christian Atrocities | Victims of Christianity | Catholic Church Inquisition | Crusades

"In the spring of 2013, Middle East historian Juan Cole decided to compare the body counts between violence committed by Christians and that committed by Muslims in the 20th century. He found that Muslim violence has claimed the lives of around 2 million people, mostly during the Iran-Iraq war and the war in Afghanistan, while violence by Christians claimed the lives of close to 100 million people."

Despite Wingnut Freakout, Obama Is Right: Christian Violence Is Just as Bad as Muslim Violence | Alternet

Old 10-11-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Smaller Government / strong national defense / individual liberties and responsibilities / fiscal conservatism (meaning limited taxation and government spending) / Tolerance &Inclusiveness

From its inception in 1854 and from its earliest stands against the oppressive institution of slavery, the Republican Party has defined itself as the protector of individual freedom.

I can say I am a principled Republican / conservative who is also a Millennial.

Have to love city data, I've never known Republicans in real life hate gays. Matter of fact, most of them have this type of attitude " I don't care what others do in their private lives, none of my business. I don't support it, I am not against it, it is just NONE OF MY BUSINESS
"
You need to get your head out of sand and actually look at the world around you. Polling data directly contradicts what you believe. Over 60% of republicans are opposed to gay marriage. That's hardly jibes with a "none of my business" attitude.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
I'm no Republican, I'm a government conservative.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

I don't know. I thought I knew. If you'd asked me 2 years ago, I probably would have given you some long, profound description of a party whose bedrock principles are a small government centered by the constitution, and an emphasis on individual liberty and self reliance...

...but now, I just don't know anymore. I don't recognize my own party.
I think many are asking this question..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...fae_story.html

Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
You need to get your head out of sand and actually look at the world around you. Polling data directly contradicts what you believe. Over 60% of republicans are opposed to gay marriage. That's hardly jibes with a "none of my business" attitude.
I said Republicans I know in real life.

So I don't know the 60% of Republicans you are talking about.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I said Republicans I know in real life.

So I don't know the 60% of Republicans you are talking about.
So if you don't know them, they don't exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies