Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Milo Yannawhatever is an authority on Internet standardization bodies now? Man, that guy has quite the resume.

Do you have a counter view, to that of his?

All I have is evidence to go by, to come to a conclusion.
You have presented none.

How are you going to persuade me, Milo isn't an authority on Internet standardization bodies.
He seems to have the facts straight. You didn't counter them......

Again, what evidence are you going to present to the court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
The "evidence" here is a two hour Breitbart video

Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The "evidence" here is a two hour Breitbart video
You didn't know Milo is on the senior staff at Breitbart?
And you have nothing to counter that view, that was presented as evidence.... A judgement is pending, and character assassination of the messenger, is the attorneys last stand. Present your counter evidence to the words and data presented.

What evidence do you have to counter the message? If not, that is all I have to go by, to come to a conclusion and make a judgement.

Sounds more like you just like trolling threads you cannot argue with, on touchy subjects

Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How are you going to persuade me, Milo isn't an authority on Internet standardization bodies.
Short of presenting formal credentials, I guess I can't.

Let's just say that I've been building large-scale networks since IPX and X.25 was a thing, had a RIPE handle, have setup hundreds of BGP peerings on European Internet Exchanges, run defaultless routers for years. I'm currently the senior network architect for a Fortune 500 company whose products you have used. You could say that IP networks are sorta my thing.

Now, I'm not going to spend 2 hours making notes while watching a video by a professional provocateur. If he has an argument that can be put in writing, let's hear it.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 10-12-2016 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 11:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You didn't know Milo is on the senior staff at Breitbart?
And you have nothing to counter that view, that was presented as evidence.... A judgement is pending, and character assassination of the messenger, is the attorneys last stand. Present your counter evidence to the words and data presented.

What evidence do you have to counter the message? If not, that is all I have to go by, to come to a conclusion and make a judgement.

Sounds more like you just like trolling threads you cannot argue with, on touchy subjects
I already countered it by telling you it was not for Obamas deal to keep, or give since it was a 25 year agreement which expired. Only Congress could have changed it, but they chose not to. Write to your Congressman, or vote them out this November.

No, it is not a touchy subject to me. Why should it be?

Old 10-12-2016, 11:20 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If someone is ever in a position to impose a global tax, they won't need ICANN to do it.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Didn't read the article, did you?
People can say all they want how this will have no affect on the Internet but that leaves two questions for me:

1. If it makes not change why change it?
2. If it makes no difference why would world leaders like Putin want it to change?

Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times
Quote:

Let's just say that I've been building large-scale networks since IPX and X.25 was a thing, had a RIPE handle, have setup hundreds of BGP peerings on European Internet Exchanges, run defaultless routers for years. I'm currently the senior network architect for a Fortune 500 company whose products you have used. You could say that IP networks are sorta my thing.

Now, I'm not going to spend 2 hours on a video by a professional provocateur. If he has an argument that can be put in writing, let's hear it.
All you accomplished above is an appeal to authority while you dismissed any need to deal with the discussion.

Besides, your ability with network protocols and systems has no bearing on the argument. This is an issue of management of policy, not one of technical know how.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Now, I'm not going to spend 2 hours making notes while watching a video by a professional provocateur. If he has an argument that can be put in writing, let's hear it.

Well, that is great, but does not dispel the evidence presented to me. I just got your CV, now testify to counter the evidence presented.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Excellent point.

People can say all they want how this will have no affect on the Internet but that leaves two questions for me:

1. If it makes not change why change it?
2. If it makes no difference why would world leaders like Putin want it to change?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv1Wo9Eg40k

Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,490,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Besides, your ability with network protocols and systems has no bearing on the argument. This is an issue of management of policy, not one of technical know how.
Unfortunately it does. Courts and legislators tend to be very behind and both make mistakes that cost average everyday people.

The United States should have kept control of the Internet and if anyone else wanted theirs they could have created it. There have been several attempts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies