Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 04:51 AM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Gotta go with the professor on this one.

Trying to make laws criminalizing speech? Wow. Yet the protesters feel they are fighting for freedoms and rights.....sigh.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
It is Canada. IIRC, they have laws that may well go against the professor.

I could have so much fun with their demands. Insist I use something other than he or she and I must just change it to "idiot"... wait. That is insensitive... To idiots.

I could have fun with: #1. Call a fake public apology... then reverse course. "I must say that I am sorry. Sorry that this college is so full of..." #2 Replace them and put up longer videos...

repeating for LOL
1. A public apology from Professor Jordan Peterson and a full retraction of his comments.
2. Removal of his transphobic and racist lectures from YouTube.
3. A town hall with President Meric Gertler, Provost Cheryl Regehr, Vice-President Angela Hildyard, and Professor Jordan Peterson, where community members can explain the issues that he clearly does not comprehend.
4. Mandated anti-oppression training at all levels of the University of Toronto, including faculty and administration, to happen every academic semester.
5. A commitment that the University of Toronto will take action to defend students and University community members in future instances where tenured professors have made prejudiced comments against an individual or group on the basis of race, sexual orientation, ability, sex, religion, gender expression, or gender identity."

Old 10-13-2016, 05:31 AM

59,084 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruspalinski View Post
Canadian Students Demand 'Anti-Oppression' Training and Censoring Anti-PC Lecturer | Heat Street

I am FULLY with the professor on this! It angers me so much that not only do they get so upset over such absurd things but think they have any right making a list of "demands".

What a load of crap, glad the professor isn't giving in to these crazy SJW people.
"students' are supposed to be there to LEARN, NOT make demands about PCness

Old 10-13-2016, 08:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't get the YouTube thing. It's not something I would expect out of a college professor. If he wants to use what has been considered proper in the past IMO that's his prerogative. For someone with his standing to go on YouTube saying "Na Na Na Na and you can't make me" isn't what we should expect from a professor.
I agree with this.

I honestly don't disagree with his views and I don't agree that any state/country should censure the pronouns that people use. That is ridiculous and unnecessary IMO.

However, I feel it looks poorly on this professor to go on youtube and make this declaration. It is immature. He IMO should have kept the discussion in the classroom, on campus, and/or in his written pieces/research.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:22 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
I posted about this here: //www.city-data.com/forum/45774478-post33.html (with a different must-see video)

We're on our way to a time when not using a person's selected pronouns will be considered *violence* and a prosecutable *hate crime.* It's only a matter of time. This is the Regressive Left.

It doesn't stop there, either. Have you looked into the Otherkin movement? Here's a brief taste:

//www.city-data.com/forum/45792081-post38.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/45792344-post42.html
Quote:
Otherkin are fun. Not a mainstream part of the Regressive Left, yet, but slowly gaining. Give it... oh, 15 years and there'll be legislation making it a hate crime to insinuate that people don't really have wings or fur or leaves or dragon scales...

Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't get the YouTube thing. It's not something I would expect out of a college professor. If he wants to use what has been considered proper in the past IMO that's his prerogative. For someone with his standing to go on YouTube saying "Na Na Na Na and you can't make me" isn't what we should expect from a professor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

I honestly don't disagree with his views and I don't agree that any state/country should censure the pronouns that people use. That is ridiculous and unnecessary IMO.

However, I feel it looks poorly on this professor to go on youtube and make this declaration. It is immature. He IMO should have kept the discussion in the classroom, on campus, and/or in his written pieces/research.
I think he is calling out the absurdity of it all.

Look at the reaction his declaration has gotten.
They are in a FRENZY, like sharks smelling blood in the water.

It is about time some faculty make a public declaration of how absurd this is getting.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:57 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
A Canadian Cultural Revolution? Only there aren't 40,000,000 of them to kill.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
A Canadian Cultural Revolution? Only there aren't 40,000,000 of them to kill.
What are you talking about? Who do you want to kill

Old 10-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I think he is calling out the absurdity of it all.

Look at the reaction his declaration has gotten.
They are in a FRENZY, like sharks smelling blood in the water.

It is about time some faculty make a public declaration of how absurd this is getting.
IMO posting on youtube can be seen as unprofessional. I would hope he sought to engage the students and campus first in order to get a dialogue going on censure and political correctness. Just a quick google research of him, he seems to be a decent professor IMO and I would think he could get the youth to understand the purpose of political and social discourse via debate.

I also feel he should have notified the university, if he didn't of his intent to post the videos as it can be a media issue for the university itself and they should be aware of what he is doing as a person who represents their university in the video.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
...I would think he could get the youth to understand the purpose of political and social discourse via debate...
I don't necessarily disagree with your points about doing the videos. But as to the above, I think you're giving these particular youths too much credit and not understanding the depth of this neurosis and the irrationality it spawns. There is no debate, he's just 'wrong,' the students know far better than he, and any organized debate would be countenanced as 'spreading hate.' We need people, clear-thinking people regardless of political persuasion, to understand what this way of thinking is really about, where it's headed (this is not a static thing, it's spreading and infecting ideas and rhetoric all the time), and what it means for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies