Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 PM

90 posts, read 102,510 times

Advertisements

Thompson Chemist Man Tax - Pink Tax in New York City

Quote:
No one likes paying taxes, but it's no secret that women pay an extra surcharge on the products they buy. It's called the "pink tax," or when retailers charge slightly more for the feminine version of the same men's product, like shampoo or razors. This week, one New York City pharmacy decided to even the score.

Thompson Chemists in Soho debuted a 7% "man tax" on Monday by adding two bold signs to its store windows. Their goal is to publicize one of womanhood's financial hardships (because let's not forget the wage gap). The figure comes from a report the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs published last year. Testing across five major categories, the study found products marketed to women cost (you guessed it) on average 7% more than the equivalent male ones.

"Women are spending more in general and we make less, so we deserve to have a break," store owner Jolie Alony told the Daily Dot. In order to comply with city regulations, Alony isn't actually charging an extra tax. She's offering a 7% discount for women and ringing men up at the regular price. The NYC Department of Consumer Affairs also told Gothamist the promotion follows the law because there is no ban on price discrimination for goods, only services.

Alony shared that while a lot of couples have enjoyed the signs, some opponents are accusing her of reverse sexism. According to News 10, the pharmacy was "bombarded" with negative phone calls after Alony posted the sign. ""It wasn't to hurt anybody, it wasn't the intention to do anything bad," she said.

Thompson Chemists has since urged people to "calm down" on its Facebook page. "This is a friendly reminder to treat your friends and neighbors as equal," the post explained. While Alony's not sure when the promotion will end, her important point has already reached lots of men and women.
Seriously, WTF?? Just goes to show how there are women that will try anything to be against "the man".

Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Not breaking any laws, what's the problem? I thought the right was all about freedom of business owners to do whatever they want. Don't like it, then don't shop there, how about that? If women really are paying more *for the exact same products* I dont really see what the problem is raising awareness about it. Would you want to be charged more for razors because you're white? That would be BS too.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:51 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I don't know that sure sounds like discrimination to me and a lawsuit in the making... Soooo a guy goes in there and he has to pay more BUT what if he is self identifying as a woman that day? That store owner could lose her business in todays PC liberal world.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Not breaking any laws, what's the problem?
Being needlessly divisive? Isn't that a big lefty concern?
Quote:
I thought the right was all about freedom of business owners to do whatever they want. Don't like it, then don't shop there, how about that?
OK...
Quote:
If women really are paying more *for the exact same products* I dont really see what the problem is raising awareness about it.
That's not even what is claimed. They're saying products marketed to women cost more than similar (not the same) products marketed to men.
Quote:
Would you want to be charged more for razors because you're white? That would be BS too.
That's analogous to what the store is doing, not what it is protesting.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know that sure sounds like discrimination to me and a lawsuit in the making... Soooo a guy goes in there and he has to pay more BUT what if he is self identifying as a woman that day? That store owner could lose her business in todays PC liberal world.
There is no federal law banning price discrimination based on gender. States rule on it differently. Bars have 'lady night specials' for females only alllllllllll the time. you gonna be outraged over that too? Again, don't like it? Don't shop there. It is that easy.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Not breaking any laws, what's the problem? I thought the right was all about freedom of business owners to do whatever they want. Don't like it, then don't shop there, how about that? If women really are paying more *for the exact same products* I dont really see what the problem is raising awareness about it. Would you want to be charged more for razors because you're white? That would be BS too.
The real reason womens personal hygiene items cost more is actually because of legitimate reasons. Womens razors are DIFFERENT to men's razors. They are more complicated, with closer blades and an extra large blade guard. They are more durable and softer on the skin, because women use razors in more sensitive areas.

Women's products cost more because they are better quality with more ingredients.. It's like saying a Ferrari and a Prius should cost the same because they are both cars. If women were so worried about the "Pink Tax" they would buy men's products.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
It's a good thing the SJWs say I can change my gender at a moment's notice. Go in as a woman, buy some Lady Bics, go home, return back to a man and instead of shaving my legs I shave my face.

Your move SJWs. Your move.

*Fake sinister laugh*

Old 10-13-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruspalinski View Post
The real reason womens personal hygiene items cost more is actually because of legitimate reasons. Womens razors are DIFFERENT to men's razors. They are more complicated, with closer blades and an extra large blade guard. They are more durable and softer on the skin, because women use razors in more sensitive areas.

Women's products cost more because they are better quality with more ingredients.. It's like saying a Ferrari and a Prius should cost the same because they are both cars. If women were so worried about the "Pink Tax" they would buy men's products.

So if that's the case and you think the store is wrong for doing something that's non-illegal then don't shop there. Wow, see how easy that is to take down those darn SJWs by not spending your money there? So easy instead of getting your BP up over nothing and sounding like a heavy mouth breather over the internet. Let's find some more non-outrageous things to get hysterical over shall we? No one is forcing you to buy razors at that pharmacy just like how no one is forcing you to watch an offensive show on TV.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
So if that's the case and you think the store is wrong for doing something that's non-illegal then don't shop there. Wow, see how easy that is to take down those darn SJWs by not spending your money there? So easy instead of getting your BP up over nothing and sounding like a heavy mouth breather over the internet. Let's find some more non-outrageous things to get hysterical over shall we? No one is forcing you to buy razors at that pharmacy just like how no one is forcing you to watch an offensive show on TV.
I know it may not be wrong from a legal standpoint, that was never my point, but it is stupid for her to complain about a non-issue. There are legitimate reasons why women's products are more.

Here's a good video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoCQFJxeHr4

Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
It actually is illegal

Price Discrimination Law & Legal Definition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies