Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All I know is that I'm black. Anything else doesn't count nor matter, and I'm not interested in it.

Still, like you, I'm an amalgam of a bunch of African tribes I'm sure. People that never would've mixed otherwise.

Meh...doubt it. I'm sure that it's nice and all to dream something like that, but I have different version of how it went down.

Your ancestors were a group of scared immigrants coming to a new land, and once here, they settled in and depended on the military or some local or state militia to protect them while they tried like hell to eek out an existence.

Yeah...that story sounds about right.
Ha! No, my ancestor OWNED the boats (well part) that John Cabot discovered America in. Well technically it was the second voyage. They also later founded the first church in Williamsburg. Eeking out a living was for the Pilgrims. My bloodline is of aristocracy and warriors. My ancestor Thomas Nelson was a signer of the DoI and commander of the Virginia Militia. So

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG16 View Post
They invaded America and raped, robbed and pillaged the TRUE inhibatants of this country, the Indians.

I'm sure the Indians hate your people came here.
LOL - I don't think my family ancestors raped or robbed. I think when savages attacked they repelled them, with vigor. Just as we do today. They also kicked the Brits out. Seem about time for their offspring to kick a few million more undesireables out too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Ha! No, my ancestor OWNED the boats (well part) that John Cabot discovered America in. Well technically it was the second voyage. They also later founded the first church in Williamsburg. Eeking out a living was for the Pilgrims. My bloodline is of aristocracy and warriors. My ancestor Thomas Nelson was a signer of the DoI and commander of the Virginia Militia. So

LOL - I don't think my family ancestors raped or robbed. I think when savages attacked they repelled them, with vigor. Just as we do today. They also kicked the Brits out. Seem about time for their offspring to kick a few million more undesireables out too.
Agreed about kicking more illegal aliens OUT of the US.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:11 AM

524 posts, read 400,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nice. That's a great story, and I'm sure that you're proud of your mutt status. Like you, I'm a mutt too....an assortment of African Tribes. Probably dozens.

Why is that sad?
I find it sad because due to how you presented it, 'black' defines you.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 AM

134 posts, read 73,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As I get older, I am looking at life differently. One of the things I have thought about is fate. What if my great grandparents and grandparents had not made that decision decades ago to leave their homes and journey to America based on simply the hope that they would find a better life ?
America was established and built by Europeans, people seem to forget that when they compare it to our current wave of immigration. And there was no generous welfare system back then.

Finally - what exactly is your point? Should America take in 20 million legal immigrants a year? How long do you think we should survive? How many immigrants should we take into our detriment 'Don'?

This entire "We're all immigrants" argument is moronic, stupid and OLD, mainly used by brainwashed morons.

Quote:
They invaded America and raped, robbed and pillaged the TRUE inhibatants of this country, the Indians.
This is the example of someone who is brainwashed guys.

He seems to believe the entire continental United States was settled by "Indians" (what the...?) because his lacking education has taught him "Indians" were some single homogenous tribe that just appeared in the New World.

Mainly because his lack of education has not taught him "Indians" were a scattered group of different tribes and peoples that had a mainly nomadic lifestyle in different areas of the United States.

I wonder if these people who seemingly hate White people would live in a world without "White" inventions?

This guy is Black but no matter how evil he thinks the "they" who "invaded" America were, chances are he would never dare live in a majority Black country - giving up all he has for a life of poverty, crime and poor living standards.

Last edited by GerryParks; 10-16-2016 at 06:23 AM..

Old 10-16-2016, 06:59 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
I'm sure the Indians thought America shouldn't be the dumping ground for the world's immigrants, starting with yours.

Your first sentence underscored how the arrogance and sheer cluelessness of white people who believe America somehow belongs to them.
The last sentence shows the racism and ignorance of someone who believes it's about white people.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:06 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
The reason America used to get the world's best and smartest and is now a "dumping ground" is because our standard of living has fallen tremendously, to the point we would no longer have a first world standard of living with going trillions of dollars into debt. The real unemployment rate (percent in the work force - very old - very sick - full time students) is over 30%, which is similar to the Great Depression. Europeans who leave Europe rarely come here because employees have far fewer rights. Few Koreans or Japanese come here anymore and less Chinese as their country develops. The only 'high end' immigrants we still get are from the Middle East and South Asia. Even a lot of the refugees don't want to come here but they don't have a choice.

If you don't believe America is falling behind get on Google Streetview. Our infrastructure is worse than Botswana. The most Podunk village in Turkey looks sleek and modern. While our bridges are collapsing and in disrepair Turkey just built the world's largest suspension bridge.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm an American, but I live in Europe. I was thinking the same thing. Sad to say Don, but chances are you'd be just as well off - if not better off - if you lived in the countries you're ancestors came from. We've got nothing on Western Europe when it comes to freedom, peace and prosperity.
I was gonna say something similar. I do love my country (USA) but I've spent time in the Czech Republic, Germany and the UK. Yes, they have their problems just like any other nations, but there's no reason a person couldn't live perfectly happily there, or in many other countries.

My family and I are considering Mexico or perhaps some place in South America. Easy for a US citizen to get to, stay in, and most places your $$$ goes much further.

Again, love so much about the US, but it ain't what it used to be. No place is.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As I get older, I am looking at life differently. One of the things I have thought about is fate. What if my great grandparents and grandparents had not made that decision decades ago to leave their homes and journey to America based on simply the hope that they would find a better life ?

My ancestors came from places like Czechoslovakia, Germany, and Wales. They came with nothing except pretty much the clothes on their backs and a little food in sacks to hold them over. They were not particularly welcomed with open arms, many had their surnames changed by the people at Ellis Island, to names that were maybe close to their own.

People, in general, did not want them here, they were called horrible names and shunned, but they worked hard, kept their noses clean, and raised their children to be Americans. Eventually, they proved they were no threat and people started to accept them more and more. Today, they are part of the American fabric.

People tend to forget that we ALL came here from some other country, unless you are Native American. How rude of us to now want to deny other people, from other countries, the same opportunities we all were afforded. I can not even begin to imagine what my life would be like if my ancestors didn't make that leap of faith and struggle to become Americans.

As much as we all fear the new people coming here from places like Syria, or Mexico, they are no different from my ancestors, and yours. Will there be some bad apples, sure. But most are no different from us and simply need a chance to prove themselves and build a better life for their families.

Think about where you would be living right now if your ancestors had not done exactly the same as mine. I know different scares us all, but we were all different at one time. In this election, we are hearing all kinds of unkind things about people coming to this country, I just felt it appropriate to point out our own histories and backgrounds.

Don
"How rude of us to now want to deny other people, from other countries'

How ignorant can you be?

We HAVE an immigration system that ALLOWS people from other countries to come here.

We CANNOT allow every single person in the world to come her.

It defies common sense to think otherwise.

Did your grandparents come here legally?

What we do NOT like are the illegals.

If you CAN'T see the difference, there is NO use trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:51 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Typical lies from white supremacists that believe that somehow, someway people don't know the truth. Whitewash the tried al you eant. But we all know what it is.

You ancestors were violent savages who deceived the Indians and you carry the same traits. Again, I know the truth.

So you think that all white people are related? So you think that all of our ancestors did those things? Those people are all dead now and no one alive today is responsible for what their ancestors did or didn't do. We are only responsible for our own actions. Most whites today are not supremists and don't have those traits and there are plenty of racists of all races today. You're the one whitewashing the truth about that.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-16-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"How rude of us to now want to deny other people, from other countries'

How ignorant can you be?

We HAVE an immigration system that ALLOWS people from other countries to come here.

We CANNOT allow every single person in the world to come her.

It defies common sense to think otherwise.

Did your grandparents come here legally?

What we do NOT like are the illegals.

If you CAN'T see the difference, there is NO use trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.
The bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics don't care whether an immigrant comes here legally or illegally it's all the same to them and if you dare object to illegal immigration even though you embrace legal immigration in reasonable numbers they will still call you a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies