Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:28 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

For those who doubt this story, I can verify that there are still many in society that go by their biases without actually realizing it.

I went to the dentist a couple weeks ago. They had a new dental hygienist there who cleaned my teeth. After cleaning, we waited for the dentist to come in to examine me.

While waiting, we started talking about our fields. I told her my boyfriend almost went to study to become a dental hygienist. She asked me what I do and I told her I was an engineer and a construction manager. Then I told her our office actually got 2 new female engineers this year. We treat them like gold because there just aren't many female engineers out there to begin with. She told me very good. Then she kept on talking and what she said next made my jaw dropped. She said every time she drive by a construction crew and she sees the female flagger she always think to herself "wow she is really smart", referring to the flagger.

I thought to myself did my dental hygienist just tell me she thinks we make our female engineers do flagging?

Even in construction, sometimes the workers without knowing it show their true biases against our 2 female engineers. Each engineer is assigned a crew or two and the tasks of the day that those crews perform. In the field, decisions need to be made by the engineer for that specific thing. One of my female engineers is a bridge engineer and she's been doing 4 of the bridges. Her crews keep calling me when they have a question or needed a decision to be made even though I keep telling them call HER she's their boss. And if she can't decide or doesn't know, then she will come to me. Go up the chain of command. Don't try to bypass her!

Biases exist. We need to recognize them for what they are to improve things. Denying their existence never does any good.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:04 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How would you know if he/she got there because of affirmative action just by looking?
The real question is how do we know which ones are not? Since we don't know, we must assume they all are for our own safety just like we didn't know which Tylenol bottle contained cyanite so we had scrap them all.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 10-19-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A better analysis would include what percentage went to Med School compared to how many actually passed the Board Exams to obtain their license to practice medicine.

Not everyone passes the medical Boards just like not everyone passes the Bar Exam or the CPA Exam.

Those professional licensing exams are the level playing field. Race, ethnicity, etc., doesn't matter. You're either competent... or not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3315604/
But merit based tests are racist and don't promote diversity.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:35 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The real question is how do we know which ones are not? Since we don't know, we must assume they all are for our own safety just like we didn't know which Tylenol bottle contained cyanite so we had scrap them all.
I asked the question first. If you don't have any answer, then move on. Don't answer a question with a question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_dodging

Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I asked the question first. If you don't have any answer, then move on. Don't answer a question with a question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_dodging
I don't know which black person is admitted through AA. Like I said, "since we don't know, we must assume they all are for our own safety just like we didn't know which Tylenol bottle contained cyanide so we had scrap them all."

Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't know which black person is admitted through AA. Like I said, "since we don't know, we must assume they all are for our own safety just like we didn't know which Tylenol bottle contained cyanide so we had scrap them all."
Except comparing cyanide-laced Tylenol and comparing those who got in on affirmative action is not intellectually honest. One drop of cyanide will kill you. A person can be a benefit of affirmative action and still have high enough scores to get into medical school.

And this is an irony. The #1 beneficiary group for affirmative action is women of all ethnicities. Singling out Blacks would be dishonest.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Except comparing cyanide-laced Tylenol and comparing those who got in on affirmative action is not intellectually honest. One drop of cyanide will kill you. A person can be a benefit of affirmative action and still have high enough scores to get into medical school.

And this is an irony. The #1 beneficiary group for affirmative action is women of all ethnicities. Singling out Blacks would be dishonest.
I'm going to be honest and say that if an MD passed the Board Exams, they're qualified.

That said, there are a higher percentage of minorities that don't pass those exams than anyone else, so why are they admitted to Med Schools in lieu of others to begin with?

Is there any good reason to make the practice of medicine anything other than a meritocracy?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I'm going to be honest and say that if an MD passed the Board Exams, they're qualified.

That said, there are a higher percentage of minorities that don't pass those exams than anyone else, so why are they admitted to Med Schools in lieu of others to begin with?

Is there any good reason to make the practice of medicine anything other than a meritocracy?
Well said!

Old 10-19-2016, 08:33 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:

Um... us Asians beat the living snot out of white people when it comes to these test scores. Try again.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Apparently due to the horrible working conditions and lousy pay the flight crew recruiters are digging ever deeper into the bottom of the labor pool as well as not spending near enough money on training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies