Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Americans, you say? Oh, I didn't realize this would be one big referendum vote.
Not one big one. Incrementalism. It has been ongoing since 1993. Er...1965...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
There's an unlimited number of ways the US could offer a public option. It all depends on the objectives.

75% of us are overweight/ obese. Therefore we are more vulnerable to Diabetes and serious complications, Heart Disease, High BP, Stroke, Joint deterioration and some cancers. It should come as no surprise that the US spends more on healthcare than other countries.

We know accumulated working life premiums paid into Medicare by employers, employees and the self- employed, plus premiums paid by the elderly do not cover the costs Medicare reimburses to healthcare providers even though Medicare, by law, pays cost which includes overhead. How could Medicare be expanded to one or more age brackets without incurring incremental losses?

1) You could make a public option available to only those who qualify. By this I mean those who have a waist size in a normal healthy range, women with waist sizes > 35" and men 40" have substantially higher risk for Diabetes, Heart Disease and ensuing complications.

In effect, you could skim the cream off the population and use it to reduce reimbursements to healthcare providers and charge lower premiums to the qualifying masses.

Those who choose not to take responsibility for themselves can continue to rely on private insurance and pay higher premiums or do without.

2) Nearly half of all births are now paid for by Medicaid. In some states the percentage is trending towards 80%. We are approaching the tipping point. Why not have Medicaid pick up the tab for all births and instead of hospital births delivered by MD, why not rely on midwives in birthing centers, unless medically warranted. Those who prefer an MD hospital birth can buy private insurance or pay out of pocket.

3) No reason why Medicare/ Medicaid should continue to pick up the tab for people who decline to take care of themselves. Why should the providers and government care more about a patient than the patient does?

4) Congress needs to authorize Medicare to regulate prescription drug prices as is done in the rest of the developed world. While we are at it, cease allowing Big Pharm direct marketing to end consumers.

5) Medicare is required by law to pay hospital costs, which includes their overhead. Nothing precludes hospitals from adding bells and whistles to the overhead and they do. Overhead could easily be capped.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Get rid of employer provided health insurance and have everyone get their own just like auto, life and homeowner. But make employers, all employers, pay part of the cost otherwise all it is is a pay cut for working people. Employer provided health is not a "benefit". It is part of your compensation. Payroll contributions for an employee share. Institute a VAT and other means to get those who don't work for wages. Nobody rides free.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The US initially paid for WW2 by creating many thousands of private sector loans to raise an enormous amount of money in a very short time. This could only happen in a timely manner via central controls and Fed guarantees. Available taxes were not sufficient, and took more time to lay and then collect. Same with War Bonds.
Borrowing is still borrowing, who pays the I.O.U.? Like I said, loans can be paid back many years into the future, but ultimately it will be paid by the people who pay taxes, it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
It will also be run by the totally competent people who run the local DMV.
Most US hospitals are private. Why would this change with a public option like expanded Medicare?

( I am not in favor of any public option that would not require users to take substantially increased responsibility for their own health. )

Old 10-25-2016, 04:05 PM

358 posts, read 444,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
With Obamacare having issues the talk of a public option is coming back up. Now as I understand it a public option would be a gov't run insurance system that would allow people to choose from it or private health insurance. This is supposed to bring more competition to health insurance. But my question is who is paying for this public option? Since it will be public the money for funding is coming from tax payers right? But if a tax payer has a private plan then aren't they going to be paying twice for healthcare? One payment for their private plan and another payment to fund the public option through their taxes. Should people be paying twice for healthcare like that? Also wouldn't the tax payers with the private plans be funding their private plan's competition(the government's public option)?

Or will things be different from how I'm describing it?
The "public option" would be funded by the people buying it, just like people fund their own private insurance policies now. It would basically be a system where people could purchase a medicare policy.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm gonna be paying for the public option, too. What's the difference? Nothing at all. I'm paying for Medicare that I'm not getting right now.

Public option is gonna be insurance too and not a healthcare system
I have been paying insurance premiums on my properties for 30+ years. None of my houses have burnt down.

I have been making auto insurance premiums for the same amount of time and have never made a claim.

I carry personal and commercial liability insurance and have never made a claim.

Seems like some do not understand that insurance is nothing more than a transfer of risk from one party to another in exchange for a premium.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Borrowing is still borrowing, who pays the I.O.U.? Like I said, loans can be paid back many years into the future, but ultimately it will be paid by the people who pay taxes, it doesn't matter how long it takes.
The difference with sovereign debt is that it will never be paid off. It can be paid down, but in 10 and 25 and 100 years, we will have progressively more debt out there. i.e. more money.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We, the taxpayers. The same people that pay taxes now. Like most things, the burden would fall on the middle and upper income class, while much of the "47%" would get a nearly free ride yet again.
Careful there. That 47% included the disabled and elderly living primarily off of SSDI, Medicare and Medicaid.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
The "public option" would be funded by the people buying it, just like people fund their own private insurance policies now. It would basically be a system where people could purchase a medicare policy.
That would be great, but more likely like Medicaid. Lower end, more restrictive, less services and meds covered.

Another possibility might be like a utility. Where the users have more say in costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies