Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:25 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

One of my friends on Facebook just posted a letter from her health insurance company in California. She is in her late 20's and has only seen the doctor once this year for an annual check up. The letter states due to increased costs her monthly premium is going from $440/month to $550/month.

When I was in California my plan jumped to $412/month for this year and now will be $515/month for next year. I moved to Florida this year and my plan isn't even being offered next year. Before Obamacare I was paying around $150/month for a great PPO plan.

OBAMACARE IS A COMPLETE FAILURE FOR 90% OF AMERICANS!

Old 10-31-2016, 02:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
$500 used to be a FAMILY PLAN with a $2000 deductible right before Obamacare became active... I know because that was my plan...

Old 10-31-2016, 02:29 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
$500 used to be a FAMILY PLAN with a $2000 deductible right before Obamacare became active... I know because that was my plan...
I know it's getting ridiculous! Health insurance premiums are now more expensive than people's property taxes.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:27 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Obamacare is a complete failure even according to my Liberal friend
I knew the honeymoon was over on Saturday when we had the decidedly liberal NPR comedy show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on and they made about five straight jokes about Obamacare. I went and TRANSCRIBED IT (starts around 4:53).

MIKE PESCA
Next week people covered by Obamacare will see their premium price go up an average of 22%. The old levels were silver, gold, and platinum... so maybe they need to introduce some lower price points like asphalt, cool ranch, and dirt.

Dirt's not actually just the name of the insurance, that's the ACTUAL insurance plan, 'rub some dirt on it.' Give the doctor a scoop or two, that's his co-pay.

Or maybe they'll go the ESPN way. There's Obamacare, Obamacare 2, Obamacare Deportes, Obamacare Classic. It's just throwback medicine, leaches and opium.

FAITH SALIE
It just occurs to me, the other day in my hall in my apartment building in New York City of course, this neighbor of mine walks by with a t-shirt that says, "I Like Obamacare." Sorry, I have no joke, that's just a lonely t-shirt.

P.J. O'ROURKE
That just goes to show that Obamacare doesn't give adequate mental health coverage

MIKE PESCA
I'm not saying the insurance isn't good but when they talk about coverage they literally just mean that t-shirt.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:39 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Obamacare is a stop gap until single payer.

There are a few options:

Let the poor and people with pre existing conditions not have coverage. The middle class avoiding going to the doctor and getting treatment because of deductibles and co pays.

Let them have coverage.

One costs more, the other costs less. Yes they can go to the ER and get stabilized and released but that isn't care. They don't treat you at the ER and you don't get treatment in most cases without cash or insurance. There is a huge gap as well for Medicaid that traps many in the middle class that made or have more than the few k in savings where medicaid cuts off. The actual threshold is pathetically low.

What we need is a single payer option for everyone. We can easily afford to shore up social security and have universal coverage at home. We just have to stop forking over trillions in killing third world residents for Halliburton and Daddy revenge.

Country as rich as we are, our middle class and below shouldn't be one illness away from bankruptcy with most policies having 6-12k out of pocket maximums per year. Much less deductibles of several thousand dollars which keep people from getting regykar care to begin with.

We can afford it, the question is what is your priority? Do you want to wage war or continue irresponsible tax cuts over say giving people adequate care here? What would Jesus do? Somehow I doubt it would be more penis shaped bullets and bombs or tax cuts for people that already pay a lower actual rate than the middle class.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:59 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
One of my friends on Facebook just posted a letter from her health insurance company in California. She is in her late 20's and has only seen the doctor once this year for an annual check up. The letter states due to increased costs her monthly premium is going from $440/month to $550/month.

When I was in California my plan jumped to $412/month for this year and now will be $515/month for next year. I moved to Florida this year and my plan isn't even being offered next year. Before Obamacare I was paying around $150/month for a great PPO plan.

OBAMACARE IS A COMPLETE FAILURE FOR 90% OF AMERICANS!
Well, if BMW335xi's friend says it, it must be true!

Old 10-31-2016, 04:00 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Obamacare is a stop gap until single payer.

There are a few options:

Let the poor and people with pre existing conditions not have coverage. The middle class avoiding going to the doctor and getting treatment because of deductibles and co pays.

Let them have coverage.

One costs more, the other costs less. Yes they can go to the ER and get stabilized and released but that isn't care. They don't treat you at the ER and you don't get treatment in most cases without cash or insurance. There is a huge gap as well for Medicaid that traps many in the middle class that made or have more than the few k in savings where medicaid cuts off. The actual threshold is pathetically low.

What we need is a single payer option for everyone. We can easily afford to shore up social security and have universal coverage at home. We just have to stop forking over trillions in killing third world residents for Halliburton and Daddy revenge.

Country as rich as we are, our middle class and below shouldn't be one illness away from bankruptcy with most policies having 6-12k out of pocket maximums per year. Much less deductibles of several thousand dollars which keep people from getting regykar care to begin with.

We can afford it, the question is what is your priority? Do you want to wage war or continue irresponsible tax cuts over say giving people adequate care here? What would Jesus do? Somehow I doubt it would be more penis shaped bullets and bombs or tax cuts for people that already pay a lower actual rate than the middle class.

Great post.

Until someone proposes a different solution that provides care for pre-existing conditions, I am not very sympathetic to the argument that the ACA needs to be thrown out. Perhaps there need to be some changes that make it more affordable, but throwing it out will mean people with pre-existing conditions are uncovered.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:03 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
...throwing it out will mean people with pre-existing conditions are uncovered...
The pre-existing conditions thing is the best part. It means I can go without insurance for as long as I want and then if I need it I just sign up and then drop it afterward.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:04 PM

294 posts, read 337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Well, if BMW335xi's friend says it, it must be true!

and my conservative friend's insurance only went up by $1.50 every paycheck and her company is calling it "ACA compliance cost"

Old 10-31-2016, 04:06 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The pre-existing conditions thing is the best part. It means I can go without insurance for as long as I want and then if I need it I just sign up and then drop it afterward.
When you force people to get it people are "HERP DERP GUBERMENT FORCES US TO BUY INSURANCE!"

Pretty easy to sit there and nit pick things without actually trying to solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies