Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The Beatles are legendary and anything they wrote/sang is 100 times better than any rap song.
You sound like a bitter old baby boomer stuck in the 1960s who is mad that they'll soon be irrelevant. The point is that you can enjoy both the Beatles AND rap music AND heavy metal AND whatever you like. I have Tchiachovsky next to NAS next to the Rolling Stones next to KRS-1 next to Black Flag next to Desmond Dekker on my playlist when it is on shuffle.

Music and art progress. Nothing is worse than a close minded baby boomer who lecturers on music and art who has the gden oldies stuck on every channel on the radio. ZzZzZ.

Tipper Gore and her army against those darn rap lyrics and bands like Marylin Manson....I guess they rose from the dead and we are hearing their zombified whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 09:04 AM

811 posts, read 550,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Scratching is music, wow!
If hitting two wooden sticks on a flat percussion surface is music, scratching is too.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:13 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
If hitting two wooden sticks on a flat percussion surface is music, scratching is too.
The drum is from Africa.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:52 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Any sound or combination of sounds used to create a soothing or stimulating rythm can be considered "music". I would say that percussion is probably the oldest form of music. And combining it with vocals.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You sound like a bitter old baby boomer stuck in the 1960s who is mad that they'll soon be irrelevant. The point is that you can enjoy both the Beatles AND rap music AND heavy metal AND whatever you like. I have Tchiachovsky next to NAS next to the Rolling Stones next to KRS-1 next to Black Flag next to Desmond Dekker on my playlist when it is on shuffle.

Music and art progress. Nothing is worse than a close minded baby boomer who lecturers on music and art who has the gden oldies stuck on every channel on the radio. ZzZzZ.

I have no idea why people get so snobby about music. Why does it even matter? It's not like politics where it has any effect on your life.
That's what I'm saying. They can listen to whatever they like. It shouldn't affect you what they listen to and music is so important to me that I would never want to bash what someone else likes. They may think that rap is noise but to someone else it's inspiration. I personally cannot stand Taylor Swift but I recognize that other people like her. Music can literally save people's lives so it should unify us not divide us.

Though I do tend to be more of a listener of artists like Britney Spears or Nsync, I can also listen to artists like Nirvana, Blake Shelton, Groove Coverage, Garbage and Elvis Presley and the Temptations. People should be more open minded. Maybe one day they will find a song of that genre they like. I personally haven't found any in heavy metal or jazz but in many of the genres, it seems to me I can find at least one song I enjoy.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:49 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Care to explain what the point of your "observation is".

If you're trying to say it's a bad influence, it's only because youth who already had no guidance is listening to it and not being told to not imitate it. White kids are the majority of rap consumers and rap concert goers but they call it a day after the song is over. They don't imitate the songs because many from the suburbs grew up with 2 parents.

if you're trying to say it's the reason why black people are so messed up, well as a hip hop fan I can tell you rap wasn't violent until a certain group of white men who belonged to a particular religion came and in capitalized on it. NWA was financed and promoted by Jerry Heller. After that, the trend of rich old whites promoting the gangsta rap genre through Def Jam, Interscope, etc became mainstream.

Prior to 1988 when rap was in black hands, it wasn't violent.
100% right. Music (not just rap) has become completely profit-driven and it has degraded the art.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:53 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I'm not of the crowd that screams that all rap music sucks. I'm personally not a huge fan, but in terms of art and expression it has a place. I have respect for the rappers that can actually tell a story and are cleaver in their use of words, things of that nature. It seems like there's less of that, you hear guys bending and twisting words to try and shoehorn a rhyme in and it comes off lame as hell to me. The excessive use of too much cursing and negativity in general. I suppose if we're being completely honest and open about music as an art form maybe even what I call garbage rap could still be art. I don't know, again, trying to keep an open mind and be as objective as I can.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not of the crowd that screams that all rap music sucks. I'm personally not a huge fan, but in terms of art and expression it has a place. I have respect for the rappers that can actually tell a story and are cleaver in their use of words, things of that nature. It seems like there's less of that, you hear guys bending and twisting words to try and shoehorn a rhyme in and it comes off lame as hell to me. The excessive use of too much cursing and negativity in general. I suppose if we're being completely honest and open about music as an art form maybe even what I call garbage rap could still be art. I don't know, again, trying to keep an open mind and be as objective as I can.
As I said earlier though, as far as the cursing it's just words but kudos to you for trying to keep an open mind.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

Tipper Gore and her army against those darn rap lyrics and bands like Marylin Manson....I guess they rose from the dead and we are hearing their zombified whining.
aww. I love some golden oldies lol

.... I find generally -- people who are closed off to an entire genre of music, are also often closed minded in other things in life.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
aww. I love some golden oldies lol

.... I find generally -- people who are closed off to an entire genre of music, are also often closed minded in other things in life.
Yes, I have observed the same and even if they are not at the very least if they are closed off to my music, then they don't get me. I suppose though I live and breathe music so that second part I said might be just me. At times I guess that's why it makes it hard to discuss music because I feel like the center of attention when I'm the only one who likes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies