Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times

Advertisements

Conservatives seem to have a grudge against all media, except Fox News.
Can it be said that conservatives rely on only one source for current events. opinions, and perspectives? Do conservatives reject everything as lies that all the other media presents?
Is this how the "liberal" media functions:
A group of nasty, liberal, mean-spirited curmudgeons gather daily in a conference room at a large newspaper (as the New York Times). They manufacture false stories to discredit the government and then, cackle and lecherously giggle with delight while wringing their dirty little hands with evil contempt in anticipation of the damage their story will do to the Bush Administration. The newspaper is read (and held in high regard) by America hating traitors who drool luciously at the thought of watching America being destroyed.
Is that it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
I doubt if anyone would deny that the NY Times has a very leftist slant. But as a conservative I watch all the news channels, read every paper I can get my grubby hands on, and subscribe to a left leaning newsletter. Nice try though.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Conservatives seem to have a grudge against all media, except Fox News.
Can it be said that conservatives rely on only one source for current events. opinions, and perspectives? Do conservatives reject everything as lies that all the other media presents?
Is this how the "liberal" media functions:
A group of nasty, liberal, mean-spirited curmudgeons gather daily in a conference room at a large newspaper (as the New York Times). They manufacture false stories to discredit the government and then, cackle and lecherously giggle with delight while wringing their dirty little hands with evil contempt in anticipation of the damage their story will do to the Bush Administration. The newspaper is read (and held in high regard) by America hating traitors who drool luciously at the thought of watching America being destroyed.
Is that it?
Dad? Is that you? My father is the biggest flaming conservative ever and seriously believes all media is wrong except Fox News and Rush Limbaugh. He thinks CNN is the devil. Yes, those people really exist.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Dad? Is that you? My father is the biggest flaming conservative ever and seriously believes all media is wrong except Fox News and Rush Limbaugh. He thinks CNN is the devil. Yes, those people really exist.
It really goes both ways though.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM

438 posts, read 1,508,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
It really goes both ways though.
Definitely! People just hear what they want to hear.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,188,984 times
Consider Justice Black's statements as follows.

Quote:
"In the First Amendment, the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. The Government's power to censor the press was abolished so that the press would remain forever free to censure the Government. The press was protected so that it could bare the secrets of government and inform the people. Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government. And paramount among the responsibilities of a free press is the duty to prevent any part of the government from deceiving the people and sending them off to distant lands to die of foreign fevers and foreign shot and shell."
Justice Black
NYT v. US
403 US 713
I can only grin whenever I hear the term, "liberal media" as that is something that vanished with the 80's. Yes there are certainly liberal media outlets but to state that the media itself is a liberal thing is no longer accurate.

The media today is of course a self serving souless and profiteering entity that has loyalty only unto itself. One only has to look to the content that is presented to the American viewing public to see its shallow and hollow nature that is directed to invoke an emotional response instead of a critical one. They are not called presstitutes for nothing you know.

If the media were a liberal thing, then I would have expected just one out of the countless outlets out there to be in opposition to the war in Iraq for instance. I don't ever recall seeing CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, or any American media outlet come out and say, "maybe we should look closer at the evidence for invading Iraq". They were all in lockstep, they all capitulated, they all rolled over and gobbled up what the White House press room regurgitated for them to swallow, and swallow they did, and swallow they do.

Yes, the press is free, but it is too busy marketing products to present very much news. Keep in mind, not only are the same people who are selling you toothpaste determining what you watch on TV, which candidates should get the most air time, or what topics are not worthy to watch but you yourself become a product that is bought and sold with the ease of a pack of gum.

However, truth be told, I am amazed at the ease in which the media is able to mold the minds of public opinion. Someone once said that it is unethical to let a fool keep his money, I have to wonder if this also doesn't apply to things much broader in scope as well.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I doubt if anyone would deny that the NY Times has a very leftist slant. But as a conservative I watch all the news channels, read every paper I can get my grubby hands on, and subscribe to a left leaning newsletter. Nice try though.
??? If the liberal media tells lies, why waste your time and money on them???

Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? Stop putting words in my mouth. Where did I say anyone was lying?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Definitely! People just hear what they want to hear.
Frank Luntz has made a lot of money off those people.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Thanks to the internet, not many people are spending their money on rags like the New York Times anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies