Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Some of the states are beginning to understand the downside to high sin taxes.
-------------------
If California voters decide to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes on Nov. 8, there will still be important decisions left to local elected officials.

One crucial element that cities and towns will have to decide—if voters approve legalization statewide, as polls suggest they will—is whether to apply local sales taxes on cannabis. Proposition 64 sets a statewide sales tax of 15 percent on marijuana, but gives local jurisdictions the right to layer additional taxes on top.

As I explained in a column in the Orange County Register this weekend, cities should resist the urge to set high tax rates that could keep a portion the state's marijuana market—a market that could account for more than $5 billion in annual sales—in the shadows and make it harder for legal marijuana businesses to get started. Other states aiming to legalize weed should take the same cautious approach.

Lower Taxes Will Help Bring Legal Weed out of the Black Market - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 05:17 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
The SCOTUS ruled 5-4 that the FDA could not regulate cigarettes, even though they are nothing more than a drug delivery system.

Tax the crap out of sin items including sugar soft drinks, beer, liquor, fast food, meals served at restaurants, cigarettes, all forms of tobacco, gambling, MJ, and any other sin.

Don't tax food in grocery stores, clothing, tampoons, drugs.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:19 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
The SCOTUS ruled 5-4 that the FDA could not regulate cigarettes, even though they are nothing more than a drug delivery system.

Tax the crap out of sin items including sugar soft drinks, beer, liquor, fast food, meals served at restaurants, cigarettes, all forms of tobacco, gambling, MJ, and any other sin.

post your habits and hobbies and let's see if there aren't a few things you enjoy that we can "tax the crap of"

Old 11-06-2016, 05:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
My city made a LOT of money off you guys last time you did that. lol

This is actually happening with the smoking taxes, a pack of smokes in NYC is something like $15. The revenue has declined substantially and it's not because of less smoking.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is actually happening with the smoking taxes, a pack of smokes in NYC is something like $15. The revenue has declined substantially and it's not because of less smoking.
Certainly it will encourage smuggling. But soft drinks are a little harder to transport than cigarettes. Also, the neighboring jurisdiction may decide to take advantage of it by imposing its own, lesser, tax.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:40 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I have some fast boats. If you need help getting the stuff across the river, let me know!

I'm listening.

Quote:

I believe it. Here it's smuggling Native made smokes of reservations. 2 cartons for $20 is hard to pass up. lol

Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post

Sin items are quite subjective. Let's tax jogging shoes since joggers incur lots of knee injuries. I'm sure there are lots of "sin items" that you purchase too.

And BTW, "drugs" can easily be classified as sin items.

You must really appreciate the black market.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
This is true. 50% of all NYC cigarettes are purchased out of state.

High taxes make the black markets thrive. When you tax something, you get less of it. When you tax something excessively, you get a thriving black market and lower tax revenue.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
I oppose the "sin tax" as it's called. People should be free to make their own health choices. That said, while I support things like universal healthcare, I don't think it would be unfair that people who have poor habits have to pay a little out of pocket to cover their healthcare costs. Some people just get unlucky. You live an active lifestyle, eat well, and have good mental health, but you still find a lump on your breast or your appendix is about to burst or you slip and fall down the stairs, breaking several bones. As someone who supports universal healthcare, I don't mind a bit of my work going to keeping you going. But if you drink 40oz of soda daily or smoke a pack a day, and your health declines as a result, it's not the same for me. An occasional soda or smoke is one thing, but if you live a life of excess (which in fairness, or declining culture seems to idealize), I like you less and feel you deserve a little less.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

I believe it. Here it's smuggling Native made smokes of reservations. 2 cartons for $20 is hard to pass up. lol
Here in PA anyone can buy the tobacco and tubes for about $10 per carton, the basic machine is about $40. I can make a carton in perhaps half an hour at the very most. With some modifications to the machine I could probably get that down to about 10 or 15 minutes. In an 8 hour period I could make about 32+ cartons of smokes, if I sold them at half the price they are charging in NYC that's about $2K+ profit per 8 hour shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies